GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

121 - 140 of 214 Posts

·
Vendor
18,635 Posts

·
Vendor
18,635 Posts
I've yet to see or read any realistic plans to produce the electricity we will need here in the United States to charge the batteries and to meet all the other increasing demand for electricity.
For anyone worried about having enough electricity to support electric cars, I wonder if that fear existed when cell phones and power tools were invented ??? On my end, there is always electricity available to charge my stuff.

·
Registered
758 Posts
You...and me....ARE the government. Which means that you and me will be paying for the installation, maintenance, and disposal. The "government" has no money. It uses our money. More specifically, it is using our grand children's money. At the current rate of economic madness ($20+ trillion in the hole) our economy will completely crash and the location of the nearest recharge station will be the least of our worries.
I'm just an unwilling participant in this madness! I agree with you that it is "our money" but that doesn't mean we have a say in how it is squandered. I would like to see real infrastructure put in place so that we can have a viable existence in this country. Could you imagine how great this country would be if that money was spent wisely?

Reactions: Sladep

·
Registered
758 Posts
For anyone worried about having enough electricity to support electric cars, I wonder if that fear existed when cell phones and power tools were invented ??? On my end, there is always electricity available to charge my stuff.
Good point. Do you remember trying to call a loved one when 9/11 happened? The cell service was a total disaster and clogged. Same with major weather events and natural disasters, cell and electric grid in the toilet. So, no, I don't expect much good to come out of going totally electric.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"Honda is targeting sales of 100% zero emission electrified vehicles in North America by 2040"

So, will motorcycles go to a hydrogen fuel cell configuration instead of batteries?

Is the current Goldwing the final internal-combustion Goldwing?
I am just wondering where all this electricity is going to come from. There will have to be hundreds of new nuclear plants built to even come close to half of the demand that would result in all of these vehicles being electric. The infrastructure just isn't there and probably never will be.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I am just wondering where all this electricity is going to come from. There will have to be hundreds of new nuclear plants built to even come close to half of the demand that would result in all of these vehicles being electric. The infrastructure just isn't there and probably never will be.
Nuclear power plants, right, like that's going to happen with the "not in my backyard " crowd.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Nuclear power plants, right, like that's going to happen with the "not in my backyard " crowd.
The Bozos making all the decisions think you can just throw up a solar panel and all is good.
No idea of what is reality and what it actually takes.

Out of touch and no clue....

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
So much misinformation on this thread. CNN would be proud. Guys, I know for some reason a lot of you think electric vehicles are pure evil and that is fine but don't lower yourselves by spreading fake news. At least do a little research before repeating something.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
758 Posts
So much misinformation on this thread. CNN would be proud. Guys, I know for some reason a lot of you think electric vehicles are pure evil and that is fine but don't lower yourselves by spreading fake news. At least do a little research before repeating something.

Not true, some of know the mechanics behind the theory of electric vehicles and the infrastructure to support them. And some of us know they ain't for me. Do I think they are pure evil? No, but what is evil is making it mandatory to have one in the future.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I'm with you, I'm glad carrier did not share thier same attitude when he started his air conditioning company, or people didn't decide beforehand that there just wasn't going to be enough power for microwave ovens. How about the transition from radios to people having multiple TVs, not to mention a computer in every home. Just think of where we would be if the decision was made that there simply would not be enough electricity for that new fangled ice box. Or that tank that heats your water with electricity. These was all new inventions at one time. They're common place now and their power consumption has been absorbed by the power grid.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Not true, some of know the mechanics behind the theory of electric vehicles and the infrastructure to support them. And some of us know they ain't for me. Do I think they are pure evil? No, but what is evil is making it mandatory to have one in the future.
No one should be forced into buying something they don't want. You can bet if they don't sale, gas will continue to be around for a long time. Infrastructure will take care of itself or people won't buy electric. Easy enough. Again, I love ice vehicles and hope everyone can purchase what they want but don't be shortsighted and overlook something that you may (probably) prefer to what you are used to. Go drive a Tesla and most of you would instantly be converted.

·
Registered
758 Posts
No one should be forced into buying something they don't want. You can bet if they don't sale, gas will continue to be around for a long time. Infrastructure will take care of itself or people won't buy electric. Easy enough. Again, I love ice vehicles and hope everyone can purchase what they want but don't be shortsighted and overlook something that you may (probably) prefer to what you are used to. Go drive a Tesla and most of you would instantly be converted.

If I were going to buy an electric it is definitely going to be a Tesla, for one reason, they have a proven track record and have the largest infrastructure in place. Now, for me, I would have to get a second service installed in my house for the charging station. Funny thing is they slightly upgraded our power in the neighborhood as they built large communities down the road. Prior to that we had at least a dozen power outages a year. Such a PITA that I did a whole house generator. And I can safely say if all my neighbors got Tesla cars I would be back to many outages a year. Trust me, I lived through this crap for 30 years and don't want it again. I'm fine if it means I will be deprived of owning a Tesla.

Reactions: Sladep

·
Registered
2,310 Posts

Our government has already coerced citizens to buy something they don't want under the penalty of being taxed for refusing to buy and is now constraining the production and distribution of needed energy resources.
I have no doubt I would love a Tesla. When I win the Powerball jack-pot buying a Tesla and a brand new DCT Goldwing are at the top of my the things I need to buy list - after I pay the taxes on the winnings.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Our government has already coerced citizens to buy something they don't want under the penalty of being taxed for refusing to buy and is now constraining the production and distribution of needed energy resources.
I have no doubt I would love a Tesla. When I win the Powerball jack-pot buying a Tesla and a brand new DCT Goldwing are at the top of my the things I need to buy list - after I pay the taxes on the winnings.
You forgot the farkles! You may need a loan

·
Registered
99 Posts
They're developing them because the trailer is the battery, and that's how big a battery you need to get out of da hood.

I embrace change every day. Lunacy on the other hand, is best left alone.

I'm not saying they won't ram it down our throats, but don't try to tell me it makes mathematical sense today.
Once again you are wrong! Please watch the video in the Tesla Semi website before you make all these incorrect statements. I know you won't, but it's worth a try.

Tesla Semi

·
Vendor
18,635 Posts
Once again you are wrong! Please watch the video in the Tesla Semi website before you make all these incorrect statements. I know you won't, but it's worth a try.

Tesla Semi
I've heard Tesla say that their semi truck, fully loaded (80,000 lbs), is guaranteed fastest to the top of the hill. Now that's impressive. If there's no power station, slide out a little self contained gas generator like a moho has, and 4 hrs later you're charged and ready to go.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
I've heard Tesla say that their semi truck, fully loaded (80,000 lbs), is guaranteed fastest to the top of the hill. Now that's impressive. If there's no power station, slide out a little self contained gas generator like a moho has, and 4 hrs later you're charged and ready to go.
The Tesla semi has a lot of batteries. Tesla had to design mega chargers for them. The standard Supercharger that I would stop at for 30 minutes would take over 4 hours with the semi. A 120 volt generator would take over a week!

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
The genius of the system is the batteries charge as the truck rolls down the other side of the hill. Regenerative braking. The battery loss is the efficiency losses due to rolling and air resistance and motor and electrical system efficiencies.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
The genius of the system is the batteries charge as the truck rolls down the other side of the hill. Regenerative braking. The battery loss is the efficiency losses due to rolling and air resistance and motor and electrical system efficiencies.
For those that don't know, regenerative braking uses the electric motor to slow and even stop the vehicle. It takes the energy that would have been wasted on brakes and puts it back into the battery. With normal driving conditions you never apply your brakes. It's called one peddle driving. Press the peddle you go, lift up slightly on the peddle you slow down, lift up fast you slow fast. You can go weeks without touching your brakes.

121 - 140 of 214 Posts