GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

141 - 160 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
Yes ... how cool is that. It's why the pipeline never made sense. America was pulled out of all the cleaner air agreements, we are now playing catchup to the rest of the world, and no longer the leader in clean air technology. However, much of the rest of the world continued on. For example, Euro6 emissions says no petroleum car sales over there as of 2030. Currently in China, there are no gas scooters allowed in any major city, and apparently it's been that way for a couple of years. They are all battery powered. Something like that has happen in Japan, but I cannot recap what it is. As of about 2 months ago, California is no longer issuing new gas station permits. Finally, the internal combustion engine is becoming a thing of the past

Eventually, I'll be able to sit out on my back patio, and not have to listen to loud exhaust systems going by. How cool will it be to not only have cleaner air, but less noise pollution too. I wonder what that will be like. I still remember how smoggy LA used to get.

View attachment 382625
That is an very misleading post.

The US has never been a leader in clean air technology. And Los Angeles is still today one of the most polluted metropolitan areas of the country. it is certainly true however that the US took a number of steps backwards over the past 4 years with regards to combating pollution.

It is not true that California has banned new gas station permits. It was one small suburb of San Francisco up near Berzerkly that banned them.

The China scooter issue is misleading. Gasoline scooters are not banned. Electric scooters have become predominant because they don't require a license or permit. Gas scooters are classified as light motorcycles in China. The cost to license them and get the necessary permits for a motorcycle is out of reach of most China's population. Gasoline is also very poor quality in China.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
If anybody ever really, really dug into the climate bills and how much the U.S. contributes both in terms of dollars and pollution vs. the other countries of the world, I think their heads would literally explode. Not much danger of either of those things happening in today's "Headline Skimming World". Everyone is a climate scientist in the morning, an epidemiologist by noon, and a socio-economic lawyer with a Harvard degree by dinner time. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
103 Posts
"Honda is targeting sales of 100% zero emission electrified vehicles in North America by 2040"

So, will motorcycles go to a hydrogen fuel cell configuration instead of batteries?

Is the current Goldwing the final internal-combustion Goldwing?
I don't think that's going to workout unless they put a Manhattan Project effort in to bring an operational Nuclear Fusion reactor on line, remember batteries need to be charged and it takes 500,000llbs of Earth to to make one car battery, what they doing now is insane because they're basically destroying the Earth to save the Earth. The most common sense approach is Hydrogen fuel cells that use natural gas as the catalyst, that would be some very righteous technology and combined with Fusion power plants will allow us enable to have clean energy sources without destroying the Earth. However, I'm 62 and will be aged out or dead by the time all that becomes reality so in the mean time I'm gonna burn high octane gasoline to my hearts content and make as much noise as possible with my Z06 because I can.

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
Every responsible company needs to have long term goals, and Honda's is similar to other car companies. Honda has been dabbling in EVs for decades, but is actually lagging behind other companies in this goal. They have been spending their R&D money on fuel cell technology, at least until recently.

But this has to be kept in perspective. Goals often don't fall in line with reality. The professional soothsayers of the world are more often wrong than right. Half the time they can't even predict what the world will look like one year from now, let alone 20 years.

One thing is certain. The world will be different. But who knows what it will actually look like. Back in the 50s, they predicted we would all be commuting in flying cars like the Jetsons by the turn of the century.

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
I don't think that's going to workout unless they put a Manhattan Project effort in to bring an operational Nuclear Fusion reactor on line, remember batteries need to be charged and it takes 500,000llbs of Earth to to make one car battery, what they doing now is insane because they're basically destroying the Earth to save the Earth. The most common sense approach is Hydrogen fuel cells that use natural gas as the catalyst, that would be some very righteous technology and combined with Fusion power plants will allow us enable to have clean energy sources without destroying the Earth. However, I'm 62 and will be aged out or dead by the time all that becomes reality so in the mean time I'm gonna burn high octane gasoline to my hearts content and make as much noise as possible with my Z06 because I can.
Along those lines, we have states like Texas that has a power grid teetering on failure, and a California power grid that has to go through rolling blackouts every summer to keep the grid from failing. Can you imagine nearly 300 million electric cars plugged in and charging every day. It takes 10-15 years to bring a new power plant online, and most of the country have no plans in the pipeline. This is not to mention that the existing infrastructure could never handle the added load.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Going to be interesting to see how much everyone's taxes will skyrocket in order to upgrade the electrical power grid in EVERY city and town so they can support all of these electric vehicles. All of the billionaires and millionaires will already be used up so everyone else will now get hit. Even when half of a small towns population plugs in, the entire grid will get shut down.

Of course, the wind/solar powered powerplants will be required to keep up, But I'm sure D.C. already has that figured out. <sarcasm>

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Does anyone believe that the power grid that essentially started in the late eighteen hundreds anticipated all of the demand that is currently placed on it today? Of course not. None of the high electrical demand appliances in use today had even been invented. The power grid that serviced less than fifty million people in the 1800's with no appliances, is drastically different than that of today that service over 335 million with major power consuming appliances. It's a given that the power grid has and will continue to be upgraded to meet current and future demand. That is nothing new.

·
Vendor
18,635 Posts
Does anyone believe that the power grid that essentially started in the late eighteen hundreds anticipated all of the demand that is currently placed on it today? Of course not. None of the high electrical demand appliances in use today had even been invented. The power grid that serviced less than fifty million people in the 1800's with no appliances, is drastically different than that of today that service over 335 million with major power consuming appliances. It's a given that the power grid has and will continue to be upgraded to meet current and future demand. That is nothing new.
I'm not sure I get all the concern either. I do understand there are current problems out there. The climate thing and needing to hold the increase to 1.5 degrees has been being planned for years if not decades. The other thing is this. Really smart people and leaders have been involved in this for much of that time. It would be hard to believe that at some point they have not thought thru these concerns. The one thing the US always has going against it is this. When it comes to change, we are rarely proactive, and almost always reactive. For example, there is a road near me where daily traffic count has increased maybe 10 fold, and the locals who vote to either have it widen or leave it how it is, have voted down widening it 3 times. Now, the thousands of homes that were planned are being built in that area, and those same locals cannot drive out of their hoods to go to work.

The other thing is this. Can you imagine if social media was around in the late 50s when Ike decided to sign the Interstate Hwy System Act, or when Kennedy decided that America needed to land on the moon ??? Who can argue today that America has not benefited from such decisions ???

·
Registered
253 Posts
My farm requires about 4000 horsepower worth of equipment to operate. Tell me how that is going to happen with electric vehicles? Or, maybe the better question is to ask is where your food will come from?

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
My farm requires about 4000 horsepower worth of equipment to operate. Tell me how that is going to happen with electric vehicles? Or, maybe the better question is to ask is where your food will come from?
Electric motors do not lack HP or torque, trains use electric motors. A far smaller motor would create more power than a diesel. That being said, I dont think the tech is ready for a large Deere to run 14 hours on batteries...yet. No worries though, you can buy a large Deere that runs on diesel until that time arrives. I suspect if you could buy an electric that would meet your needs you would be very happy with it. No transmission issues, no oil changes, no fuel system, no air filters. Only a motor connected to the wheels.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Electric motors do not lack HP or torque, trains use electric motors. A far smaller motor would create more power than a diesel. That being said, I dont think the tech is ready for a large Deere to run 14 hours on batteries...yet. No worries though, you can buy a large Deere that runs on diesel until that time arrives. I suspect if you could buy an electric that would meet your needs you would be very happy with it. No transmission issues, no oil changes, no fuel system, no air filters. Only a motor connected to the wheels.
Locomotives are diesel/electric

·
Registered
253 Posts
A Tesla may produce a lot of power for a few seconds, give the driver a thrill, and then head for the recharge station. A tractor needs it for hours on end. There really is no comparison between the two as far as realistic power requirements. Of course there will be technology advances for electric vehicles but there can also be tech advances for fossil fueled power needs as well and yet few people seem to be willing to admit it. They just want to throw fossil fuels away when there is really no viable alternative.

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
Guys, we aren't talking about electric tractors or trains or anything else. The focus of this thread was Honda's 2040 goal for cars.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Guys, we aren't talking about electric tractors or trains or anything else. The focus of this thread was Honda's 2040 goal for cars.
And what do cars have to do with motorcycles? Time to put this irrelevant garbage in Off Topic.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Great idea, that way when the electric grid fails you won't be able to travel either. At least now you can get into your car and drive if the power goes out. I don't think people in power with a specific agenda even bother to think about the ripple effect to the rest of society.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Great idea, that way when the electric grid fails you won't be able to travel either. At least now you can get into your car and drive if the power goes out. I don't think people in power with a specific agenda even bother to think about the ripple effect to the rest of society.
Gas pumps run on... Electricity.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
And what do cars have to do with motorcycles? Time to put this irrelevant garbage in Off Topic.
I misspoke. The article mentioned vehicles, not just cars. That includes motorcycles. It's relevant and not off topic.

141 - 160 of 214 Posts