GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Well, if any of you have followed my thread on the rebuilding of the little "Shoreline" trailer I bought, you know my situation. For those that haven't. I'm about to paint it to match our Wing. Well, there's the problem. I took the paint code off the fuel door and proceeded to call a zillion places, paint supply places that is, and each and every one in the San Diego area says, "We can't get that paint". I even called a Honda dealer and all they offered was the little tiny touch-up vials for nicks and scratches.
I can't believe it's that hard to get. It's an '02 GL 1800 with the color of Stream Silver Metallic. The wife found a place on line called Color Match or something like that and it was about $180.00 for a quart and that didn't include all the reducers, primers etc.

So, we did the next best thing. We went to our local Car Quest Auto parts that supplies and deals in paint products. The nice lady got the paint swatches out and we took them out in the sun with the bike present. We found one that is incredibly close. It's actually a GM Pewter color. I mean really, really close. As far as I'm concerned, way close enough. A quart of Lt gray primer, hardener for the primer, a quart of paint and activator, a quart of reducer was right at $93.00.

I guess if you wreck a bike and have a Honda dealership to the repairs and the paint work, it's up to them to find the exact paint to match. Oh well, it's going to look nice and it'll be a darn close match.
Scott

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Heres what your looking for, but it is not local.

http://www.colorrite.com/

Some local (REAL GOOD) body shops or custom paint shops can mix stock factory motorcycle colors for you...

Good luck with your project..

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Take a piece of your bike to any auto paint store and they can computer match it. I did that with my 02 candy red and my 98 twilight silver goldwings.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I have the topeka gold and I could not get it matched locally. I went ahead and bought my paint from US Paint. It is the 2006 Honda GL1800 Topeka Gold. Perfect match. (Aside from 2 yr old original slightly faded paint on bike! heheh)

G

·
Another source.

USPAINT.com

As others have said, any good automotive paint store can match it if you have a piece of the tupperware, ie battery cover, etc.

However, if anyone needs an Illusion color, I believe that is only available through USPAINT or COLORITE.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are right. The wife found it on Colorite. It seemed a bit expensive so, we got a very close match as stated. It's only a small trailer and old at that. It'll be very close and that's good. If it were part of the bike that had to be repaired and repainted, I'd get the right stuff.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I certainly appreciate it.
Scott

·
Registered
902 Posts
US Paint supplies Honda with the paint for our bikes. You can get the exact OEM paint from US Paint. You just have to give them your color code.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
The local Ford dealership body shop can match any paint... they use a computer and I have bought some paint to match my CBC 05 color..

cosmic

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Scott
It might be a little late but PPG paint has a perfect match to NH469M. I discovered when I bought my paint to do my trailer that PPG cross references to US Paint and on the PPG spec sheet was a cross refference to Honda NH469M, go figure. The PPG number is DBC902173 Silver.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
PPG are very good at the silver and some blues, but they have problems with the reds and other colors using 3 coat system ie metallic base then tinted color coats built up gradually and topped with clearcoat.

·
Vendor
18,701 Posts
Don't count NAPA out if they have one that has a paint shop in it. But if USPaint supplies Honda, that might be best. It all has to do with how well you Wing was painted origianlly from Honda, how much it is weathered, and how exact a mix is. Good luck ... matching metalic is always harder to with.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
When I painted my Cycle Mate trailes I used PPG paint. They said they make Honda's paint. Can't swear to it but it was a perfect match.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts