GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Yes they can be removed. Just make sure you save the pads after installing them. When you install the armrests, the pads on top of the speaker housing are removed and in doing so, require removal of the clips that hold the pads to the speaker housing. I've not figured a way to remove the clips without cutting the tabs on the pads off. So, when reinstalling them I've used a little RTV on the bottom of the pads and glued them into place. Its worked fine form me.
If you did not do the original install on the armrests (or don't have them) you will have to purchase the pads either from Honda ($36each) at http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/cyclegiantparts/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hondamc&a=709&b=81&c=0-TRUNK-BOX Or perhaps try the Wanted to buy forum or ebay. T

Good luck.
J

·
Registered
927 Posts
Jim

If you didn't save your OEM pads I have a pair somewhere you can have. If you don't plan on reusing the Honda armrest I would be interested in buying yours.

Ken

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
http://wingstuff.com/products/3597-passenger-armrest-kit..

Can these be removed without any ugly consequences to the bike?
As others said, "yes" but you need the speaker pod padded covers to put back on when you're done. Also, there is a substantial amount of mounting bracketry that holds these in place on the bike and make them sturdy. It's a lot to remove!

You may want to reconsider. The alternative is the swing out kind that mount to the antenna brackets. Many passengers find those cumbersome and in the way all the time. Opening and closing the top trunk is harder since they must be swung out of the way. As they age and loosen up, that gets harder.

Just sayin'. These OEM Honda arm rests are the favorite of many passengers, including my wife.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I put on the Kury armrest for my wife. She liked those better as she could rest her whole arm on those.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All done

I removed them from my 2006 and put them on our 2010. My wife does not like the swing out kind and neither do I. I just used the pads from the 2010 on the 2006.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts