GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the Honda rear passenger control. I have not installed the attenuator. The volume control appears to offer a full, or very nearly full, range of volume control to the rear headset with the main volume control at the radio set very high. Perhaps Honda has changed the spec on the pot?

So, two questions:

1. Is the purpose of the attenuator to reduce the volume to the driver?

2. Does anyone with a wiring diagram think the PTT button for the CB on the passenger volume could be converted to PTT for the intercom instead? I would want to do this by modifing the passenger volume control wiring harness only.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I just installed the Honda rear passenger control. I have not installed the attenuator. The volume control appears to offer a full, or very nearly full, range of volume control to the rear headset with the main volume control at the radio set very high. Perhaps Honda has changed the spec on the pot?

Well that's good news...........to bad it took them 8 years to fix it. :?

IMHO the new J&M unit has more functionality and is cheaper than the Honda unit.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my question. However, I have already read many posts regarding mic-mutes and other devices and I'm sure they have many satisfied users.

I was really rather hoping for someone with specific information regarding my two questions to respond.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gwnorman1800
I understand you to mean that "ballances out the volume" means it reduces the volume level to the front headset. Is that correct?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
What I meant was that the Honda attenuator operates like a resistor with a fixed value, it balances out (lowers) the volume to the headset a little bit. The problem is that the amount by which it lowers the volume differs depending on headset in use, at least thats my findings.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah Ha. The wiring diagram you referenced was exactly what I needed. Many thanx.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Coronawithlime
GWNorman1800 is correct about the attenuator acting as a fixed volume resisitor but I think the best way to install it is to put it in the line to the headset of the person with the better hearing. If this is the rider then they will use the master volume control to increase the audio to them and the passenger can use the rear volume control to reduce their audio to a comfortable level. If the passenger has the better hearing then place the attenuator in the rear headset line and now you can get a greater reduction in the rear volume ( attenuator + rear volume control ). My wife and I have about the same level of hearing and as a result I did not install the attenuator in either audio line.
Ride Safe
Ken

1 - 9 of 9 Posts