GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a working knowledge of the Honda PC? If so this is my problem I turned the bike's key on and got all the lights on. I then turn it off and when I turned it back on everything was dead. I have checked the battery it reads 12.6, checked the connections to the battery and they are clean, then I checked the ign. fuse and it is good.

Where do I go from here?

thanks to anyone that can help me.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Do you have a known good battery (from another vehicle) you can hook up to it and try the lights again. Sounds like the battery that is it provided what surface voltage it had and then took a dump.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just took a reading on the battery and just sitting doing nothing it reads 12.49 volts. but I will try another battery.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Check both your cables, just went thru that with the 1800.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Ground issues on an old bike are pretty common. A different battery would be a good place to try, before tearing tupperware off.

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
Check the voltage when the ignition is on. if the voltage is still around 12 volts and no lights, it's not the battery.

When the lights work one time, and then not the next time you turn on the ignition, that sounds like either a bad ignition switch of bad relay. But I would first start by tightening the battery posts.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
The PC 800 had some bad stators (at least in the 89 and 90, not sure if it got fixed in later years). You battery seems to be getting some sort of charge but the stator could still be an issue.

We bought a PC from a friend who also had all kinds of gadgets connect to the battery and the terminals couldn't be tightened all the way down. I thought I had really bad problems but it turned out to only be a loose terminal.

We have also used 1-2 amp/hour solar chargers on bikes that might loose a charge due to something plugged in.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
I have owned one PC800 that I bought new over 16 years and currently own two of them but never had that happen to me. I kinda wish that it had happened at one time or another so that I could gleam a bit of wisdom your direction. As long as my battery has charge in it my bikes have always started right up every time.

I hope that you will keep us posted as to what the trouble was and how you fixed it. It might just happen to me one day and I would like to be prepared if I can.

If you have any other issues, feel free to pop me with a PM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts