GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wondering why our local Honda dealers, and probably yours too, never have sales or "weekends" or anything for it's customers. Is it because they are not only a MC dealer or because they figure it's not worth the investment or time. I asked our dealer here once about activities, and he said he didn't have the time, and there are enuff rides and social events. He supports nothing. The original owners used to support the local GWRRA chapter with a few goodies for doorprizes, had a 15% off sale on the day of the monthly meeting, and provided hot dogs etc for the HRCA on the day they met at the dealership. A few years back, you could stop by almost anytime and there were Wing riders and others (always a few) looking at bikes, picking up a part or bling, and talking bikes or what have you, with the dealer, etc. Now, even the other dealer's in the surrounding area do nothing. In stark contrast, I got a notice from the local HD dealer. During the month of March they are having a free ride in 5 point inspection for riders. Sure, it's a simple "look see" but it gets people in the store. For the next couple of days, the service department is giving 20% off parts used in service, and they are offering a "free" oil change. You pay for the oil/filter, but labor is free. March 28 they are having a 20% sale off everything in the store, including Wolverine boots. (not bikes) For a month and a half if you buy 300 bux worth of stuff, they give you a free little BBQ set. Prolly ain't much, but it would fit pretty neat in a trailer. The dealer even offers free pickup and delivery of your bike. I ride what I want to ride, and I don't want this to turn into another stupid empty Wing vs HD posts. I am just comparing dealers, and wonder why Honda doesn't get on the band wagon and promote themselves. I know SOME dealers do spiffy things for their customers, but I'll venture to say that most do nothing except complain about business. How about your area?? Does your dealer do anything special for the customers???? (My dealer doesn't even remember your name the next day after you purchase a scoot)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
HD has the best marketing going. People are always in the H-undred D-ollar stores even if they don't ride. HD dealers have everything you want or can imagine for you & your bike if you own a HD in it's stock 99.9% of the time.

Honda=ziltch, ever notice when you enter a Honda shop they never have anything in stock i.e. shirts, accessories(limited) etc, even most parts for that matter. They say we can order it, well hell, I can order it to on line from HDL and for alot cheaper than local shops.

In this respect Honda sure does miss the boat IMHO.:shrug:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Shucks.... Our local dealership remembers me everytime I walk in the door. Even calls me by name and shakes my hand.

They even give you a 10% discount on parts. :thumbup:

The service guys always ask if the bikes running okay.... and take special care of it when they service it.

On occasion, the dealership does sponsor rides.... not too often though. Still, I don't complain.

Best regards,
Mike

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
2 out of our 3 local dealers are also Harley dealers, so anything that is done, is done on that side. The best has a wing riding service manager and he will usually do anything that he can to help. With so many bike nights, rides, etc, I don't think that dealer events would be a big draw in our area

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
I have never been in a Honda Motorcycle dealership that treats me the way I treat my customers in my business. This is sad. Great bike. Poor at best dealer support:roll:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
...How about your area?? Does your dealer do anything special for the customers????
Since you're talking mostly about dealerships, I'll keep my comments to that topic...

I use to belong to HRCA through FreeWheelin Honda in Douglasville, Ga. They did not promote activities and even frowned on allowing us to use their parking lot to stage...

I'm also a member of a local HOG Chapter. The dealer supports us in lots of different ways including providing us meeting space, meet 'n greet's at the dealership, sponorings many rides, and discounts. They allow us to set up grilling/food service areas during customer appreciation days to promote our Chapter. Chapter members are even asked to leading demo rides a couple times a year during dealership open house events.

The length to which many HD dealers support HOG was an eye-opening experience for me...Honda dealers could learn a lot!!!

H

·
0 Posts
In my small town, 15,000, the Honda dealer knows me by name. They don't do anything for support, and don't have much in stock either. I think their bread and butter are the 4-wheelers. We live in an agricultural area, and every farmer has 2 or 3 of these things.

Also, I wish I could go to a Honda dealer anywhere in the states and pick up a shirt with the location on it. Have to go to HD to do that.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Cowboy Honda in Beaumont has sales all the time. I also get coupons in the mail all the time for free oil changes, half off oil changes, and other stuff 20%,30%,40% off. Birthday cards with coupons and if you are a Member of their Red Riders you get 10% off all accessories. They always have free drinks and food. I have bought 3 bikes from them and was and still am treated very good and good service. They also own the Harley shop and the Victory shop. They are all side by side and they all treat you good with good service..........

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
My dealer has a coffee room setup for us. On any given day there can be 6 to12 guys hanging around BSing, and then go for a ride afterwards. Also every Sat. has lunch, (hot dogs, burgers, what ever). Takes donations for Ride For Kids.
Mick:yes1:

ps, Everett Power Sports

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
My dealer supports local rides...coffee and muffins available....heck I was having my bike serviced around lunchtime and my dealer gave me the keys to his pick-up so I could go grab some lunch...get a discount on parts too

AS for HD....they have a tremendous marketing department...it has been written that HD makes far more $$$ selling merchandise than they do motorcycles....HD is about a brand image and people buy into a club....not the same way with Goldwings...I prefer it that way

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Our Harley dealers are open 7 days a week and always have something going on. Honda dealers could care less about you once your out the door with the bike. I go in to get things from the Honda dealer and it's like they are doing you a favor to sell you something. One use to have free hotdogs on Sat but quit that a few months ago.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I used to live in Rhode Island then moved to Virginia. There is a dealership there, Razee's that used to always have people gather and kick tires and drink provided coffee and donuts. I bought a bike from them and loved going there. It has been a few years so I am not sure if it is still like that. I moved to Richmond then Tidewater Virginia and was hoping to find the same type of camaraderie but was very disappointed as there seems to be very little spirit in motorcycling among all the dealers I have been too. Maybe some Saturday rides where some meet up and go but other than that nothing. I bought my Wing from one dealer and at times some have been rude with me when I have needed parts. The local HD dealer here is always doing something and when I have visited them I am always greeted and treated courteously. I just cannot imagine why this is and if I ran a Honda dealership it would certainly be different.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
My dealer knows me, and I support that dealership with my business. As for events, promotionals, etc., they do that, but it's mostly dirt bike events and snowmobile events in the winter. They do have a nice little coffee room there, complete with cookies and several flavors of coffee. Honda dealers sell so much other stuff besides motorcycles that I think it's hard to have other events. I mean, whoever heard of a weekend gettogether involving generators?!! LOL.

There is a Yamaha dealership here that not only stocks brand clothing in addition to other riding gear, once a month they have an evening event in which there is a band playing outside, and there are free hotdogs and burgers, as well as free tee shirts inside. Of course you also get a packet of business cards, brochures, etc., but it gets several hundred riders into the dealership who would no doubt not go there otherwise. It's for all brands of motorcycles.

Of course, our local HD dealership has stuff going on all the time. I think Honda, (not just a local dealership) would benefit greatly by promoting their product(s) by putting on events and stocking lots of Honda riderwear. Unfortunately, most of the riderwear, not including riding gear, is for dirtbikes and most of it bears the marque of national brand name clothing. Not interested in that, but I suspect Honda has more sales in offroad bikes and ATV's than streetbikes.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Honda is just begining to reap their efforts of promoting their products ..
& warranty issues & dealer support..
it will be interesting in a year to see how Honda motorcycle lineup does with the present economy..

cosmic

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Since my warranty ran out i have used dealers in the Washington, and BC area and have used private motorcycle shops. The best so far has been the private motorcycle repair shop. I know im not gouged, they are friendly and know me by name and bike because i use them a lot.

The honda dealers that i go into couldnot give me the time of day and they are selling riding gear and helmets and such. At Canadian prices i never buy but then again the service is crappy here.

If i need anything i buy it from members on the board, hal for farkles. amsoil etc and always buy in the us. even adding 20% for the difference of the dollar i still save big money.

Honda is not interested in selling doggie jackets with a big h on it -not like hd, nor do they want to sell womans underwear either. hd probally sells nose pickers with their label on it. Honda just wants to sell bikes not an image

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Our local Honda dealer is complete sh$t. They actually wanted me to leave the bike for 3 days for an oil change. Next to no parts in stock. You can wander amongst the new bikes for hours and never be approached by a salesman. Never met anyone there who knows anything about anything. They will order a part for you if you give them the part number so they don't have to look it up but you pay for it in advance. Then you get into a routine of calling them every once in awhile to see if it has come in yet since they won't call you. I have no concept of how they are still in business.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Honda Dealers

Most of the Honda dealers I have gone into, including the local one, (25 miles away) sell a lot of other products (ATV"s, PWC's, generators, lawn mowers, dirt bikes, etc. and I wonder if all those other things produce a higher profit margin than Gold Wings. There is a Honda dealer in Chattanooga that hosts a GWRRA chapter once a month with breakfast and the place is full of Wings and accessories. It may be what is called a powerhouse dealer and I wish we had one like it close by.
This isn't only Honda's problem. About 15 miles from my place is a dealer that sells Yamaha, Suzuki and some others. They also sell boats, riding mowers, ATV's, accessories and when you go in the place you can stand around for 20 minutes and not get asked if you want to spend any money. Beautiful place, but not making as much money as it could.

2,732 Posts
Interstate Honda/Fort Colliins

Interstate Honda of Fort Collins is outstanding. They always remember my name even tho I bought my Wing back in 2001 , parts are 10% off with my GWRRA membership and they will drive me home or pick me up (20 miles each way) if I need to leave the bike overnite. They have a nice waiting lounge with coffee & snacks. Tire changes are usually done in 20 minutes to 1/2 hour without an appointment to do it.

While I occasionally envy the group togetherness of the Harley riders, it doesn't overcome the image I see when I stop at the Harley shop and see all the scruffy leather outfits, beards, earing & nose rings and tattoo's that it takes to be part of that crowd.

I don't know, maybe someday I'll give it a try (Harley ownership) but guess I need to change my riding mentality first.

That said, I'd attend a Honda get-together at the dealership if they had one one night a month. Probably would end up buying something as a result, too. The "shirt thing" would be nice if you could collect shirts from different cities and states with Honda on them....but already have more shirts then I can wear in a lifetime.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
DFW Honda in Grapevine Texas has sales, Bar-B-Q's, customer appreciation nights lot of PR/Marketing dodahs.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts