GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this on another board. I don't think this will help the GL1800 sales for 09.

As an adjustment of the value of the dollar versus the yen, most all Honda Powersport products will increase in price effective April 1, 2009. This will apply to any Honda product not already invoiced to the dealer prior to that date. Any product that is ordered and invoiced (shipped) to the dealer before that date will be at the old price. Note this is for all Honda motorcycles, ATV's and scooters but since we're mostly interested in the Gold Wing on this board, here are the price changes (MSRP):

Level 1 will increase from $20,999 to $22.099

Level 2 will increase from $23,299 to $24,499

Level 3 will increase from $24,399 to $25,699

Level 4 will increase from $25,599 to $26,999

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Yeah, I saw it too. I agree with you. In the automotive industry they are lowering the price to try to sell. It seems that Honda is raising the price on the few that want to buy to make up for lost revenue. If they are not careful they will price themselves out of the market. Glad I bought my new '08 about 2 months ago at better than 14% less than MSRP.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Bad enough that Honda raised the price on the 09 GL's by a thousand, which is way to much just for an updated GPS, XM Radio and the TPS, but come April 1st, I hope they will choke on all the 09's they will be stuck trying to unload at the new price.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
You've been hanging out on the wrong forum if you just found out about this. Hal posted the increase notice about three weeks ago on this forum. That's how I wound up with a new ride....:cool:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Heard about this and it was a determining factor in our decision to purchase now. I think they are pricing themselves out of the market. We looked at several factors. 1. We had been looking for awhile and felt inventory levels were dropping as well as selection options. Funny though they claim to have lots of 08 bikes in the warehouses. 2. Prices were going to take a big jump and probably will again especially since foreign currency exchange would factor in. 3. Financing would be or could be iffy. 4. The factory move to Japan and subsequent import/export factors would come into play.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Man, I'm glad I almost stole my '08 level3 in July. I'd still be riding the Valk if this news would have surfaced earlier. :popcorn:

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Many things are at play here....especially look at the dollar vs yen.

$1.00 used to buy 110 yen worth of stuff, now it only buys 87 yen or so.

Honda's exports are taking a major hit....
all I can say is "Welcome to OUR world" Japan....
Now folks in Tokyo are saying (while looking at the back of their TV's)

"HUH !!! Hey Marisko ! Look at this ! MADE IN KOREA/Singapore/Vietnam !!!"

Arghhhhhh !!!!

lol !!! They would've been better off leaving production of the Wing in the US of A

·
Registered
903 Posts
This is just another attemp by Honda to kill the wing off.
Jackup the price until sales go throu the floor then you
can use the new factory in Japan to build the real money
makers, cars.

Look at the bright side resale of our bikes has just gone up.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I wonder if they unlike the auto industry that have too many that they cannot get rid of are decreasing production. The auto industry is drastically reducing price to get rid of inventory and make a little on each one. Honda may have planned it this way to make a few and not have excess inventory and make a lot per unit. I still think if not careful the wing will become a thing of the past.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to our world, Up here in the Great White North,
we Only get the 2 top end models.
Fully Loaded and Airbag model, our prices
are already over 30K.

Blue North

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Welcome to our world, Up here in the Great White North,
we Only get the 2 top end models.
Fully Loaded and Airbag model, our prices
are already over 30K.

Blue North
Can you come down here and buy one or do they make it too much of a financial or red tape hassle to do so.

·
Registered
364 Posts
honda needs to rethink!! AND NOW!!
Honda is massive as a global corporation and they think a long way down the line. 70% of their motorcycle sales are in Asia. That leaves a mere 30% sold in N America. And a very small part of that is Goldwing. So while I don't like to see price increases, I will assume that mother Honda knows what she's doing in the long run run. If the price increase hammers sales in a slow economy, then the market research they are so fond of will have let them down.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
prices

Red Ron,

Canadians can purchase in the USA. Last year when our dollar was at par we could save at least $5,000.00.
Now that our dollar has dropped we can still save some.

Getting the bike registered in Canada is not difficult, BUT, Honda Canada refuses to honor the warranty, so the owner needs to return to the US. A small risk for those who live close to the border.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Can you come down here and buy one or do they make it too much of a financial or red tape hassle to do so.
I paid $28,000 for my '04. Not only are prices higher but the dealer has a smaller margin compared to the U.S. And yes, many people bought their new Wings in the U.S. when the dollar was at par a year and a half ago. Imagine our anger, when at one point, the loonie was worth more than the greenback and prices did not come down. There is lot's of red tape that goes with the purchase and import of a foreign vehicle but the biggest issue is the lack of warranty. Unless you live close to the border and a good Wing tech., you could be screwed. That being said, my '04 black cherry ABS has gone thru a headlight bulb in 5 years, so in my case warranty has been moot. I did however, buy an aftermarket warranty good till 2011 just in case it blows up down south.

·
Registered
466 Posts
honda needs to rethink!! AND NOW!!
They are. Profits are zero and they need to raise prices to compensate for the drop of the yen. I think they're raising prices on the entire product line.

Raising the price of the GL ~$1000 on a ~$20000 base is about 5%. Chances are you can negotiate that increase off the purchase price.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I guess it won't be long before Honda asks our Federal Government to bail them out...

Honda is headed for a enlightening...

cosmic

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Somebody willing to spend over $20k on a pleasure vehicle is going to stop because it went to $22k?? I don't think so..

Honda knows it's American customers, we bitch and moan but in the end we just find a way to float more credit to pay for it.. We are the consumate consumers.. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts