GL1800Riders Forums banner

Honda Protection Plan

2K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  Rinkopr 
#1 ·
I just received a notice from Honda that my window for purchasing the Honda Protection Plan is about to expire. Is it worth it to purchase it? Is it true that it extends the current three year warranty to seven years?

Thanks --

Tim

#2 ·
You get a full 4 years added on and no mileage cap. Limitation is with some of the electronics such as radio etc. Honda web site spells it out pretty good.

Is it worth it? Hmmm Nope, Unless you need it just once.

I never leave home without mine!

HDL our sponsor sells them at about the best price I have seen.

Bulldog

#3 ·
If you have a 2006 model, you won't have to worry about buying the extended warranty for awhile. You have 3 years from the original date of purchase to buy the Honda Protection Plan.

Yes, it extends the warranty to 7 years. It can be purchased online from this sites owner for the $450 range......

#4 ·
What Red says - you can get it as long as the original warranty is in effect. 3 years from time bike was put into service.

Is it worth it? Ask at the end of 7 years.

#5 ·
I bought it for mine and it has already paid for itself.

I will be selling mine when it reaches the end of the extended warranty and depending on Health, Income, and desire to ride will decide if a new one will be in the making or not.

Ross

#6 ·
extended protection plan

Our sponsors' web site states that they do not sell the warranty to Florida residents. I believe one has to purchase from a dealer for about $700.00. Seems the state considers it an insurance policy and pretty much sets the price.

#7 ·
You can buy it from Hal of from Hatfields, for significantly less than most dealers will charge you... brings it well into the "reasonable" price range..

#8 ·
We both Honda warranty plans for both of our bikes from Hal. Is it worth it. Well, we were on our way down to Hal's BBQ and Holly's alternator went out. Towed the bike to the local Honda dealer and not one dime out of our pocket and we were back on the road with a new alternator installed within 2 hours. That one item more then paid for both of the warranties. I would buy an extended Honda warranty from Hal in a heart beat!!!!!

#10 ·
skipreb said:
What is the best option for FL residents?
I'm not sure you have any options other than purchasing at the local dealer. After reading previous comments here on the board about this I just went ahead and bought mine when I purchased my Wing! Piece of mind it provides is great. It comes down to basically how lucky do you feel -- for instance if you own a vehilce outright then you don't need to keep full coverage on it, but many do because of the costs of repairs/replacement - I'm glad I had full coverage on my Grand Caravan when my wife crashed it (no one was hurt), but the damage to our vehicle and the other vehicle was over 7K. I had thought about trying to save a little money but just hadn't gotten around to reducing the covereage -- now I'm glad I didn't.

If you're tight on the cash (take into consideration all of Hal's sales which will entice you to spend more money) then wait till closer to the end of your original warranty and then buy it -- who knows by then the laws in FL may have changed and you'll be able to purchase it through Hal. :D

#12 ·
FL insurance

Yes, in Florida it is considered "insurance" therefore it cannot be discounted. Not sure how the insurance industry got their noses into this one (especially since I'm part of the insurance industry) but they found a way and screwed it up for all the FL residents...this applies to car or motorcycle (maybe even boats???) extended warranties.
Dennis

#17 ·
warranty

tourman said:
With the price or service nowdays, it could pay for it'self in one vist.
It Also gives you a advantage if you sell your bike.
It was added value when I purchased my bike "pre-owned" 8)

#19 ·
I just used a VA address for the warranty and bought mine... SCREW THE FLA INSURANCE AGENCIES! May there sons grow up gay and their daughters have fleas in their armpitts..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.