GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this the other day, it says only a few people are sent this to give the R&D department feedback, do not know if it will work for everyone but here it is, can not hurt to fill it out.

deleted

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was afraid of that oh well I am pulling the url.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hey mudbug,

Why don't you become the 'Voice of Many'(hear the echo?) and collect input from this board and submit it under your PID?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I sort of... uh..... cheated and found a way to look at the survey, based on the url that was up briefly. The survey basically asks about electronics (such as what would you like to see added if you already had XM, Surround Sound, GPS, Blue Tooth, and every kind of electronics charger known to man), when do you plan buying again, how often do you ride, who rides with you, and do you ride in groups. It was geared for owners of the '05 Wings and newer. It wasn't really something that would lend itself well to group input on one survey answer.

Now I need to go for a spiritual ride to do pennence for hacking the survey.

·
Vendor
22,512 Posts
Fix or remove the anti-dive valve (put cartridge forks in BOTH legs)

Find the cause of the rear brake shudder at high temps, and fix it

Another digit on both the trip meters

Saddlebag and trunk lids that don't rub (a simple strip of teflon tape would do)

An accurate speedometer

Extend (double) the turn signal cancel time out

Really fix the saddlebag and trunk release mechanism

Fix the GPS on the 06 for the "Unverified road" problem and relocate the GPS controls and remove the lockout on them so they can be used when moving (stop letting the lawyers get their noses in the design)

Add an Electrically adjustable windshield

Fix the cruise control buzz in headsets

Add a passenger volume control that works

put some protection on the bottom of the coolant overflow tank so rocks won't bust holes in it

Put a stiffer spring on the rear shock (1,000 lbs/inch)

Find a better switch design for the reverse, mute, flashers, and cruise that doesn't stick and lock up

All the bike really needs is a little refinement and some minor fixes, and none of them would be hard or expensive to do.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
How about a bigger bike for us taller riders
i'm about 6'4" and would like more room
course we're gonna need 170hp to the rear wheel :lol:

G

·
Boy O Boy you guys, just think if and when Honda redsigns the GL1800 and listens to all our suggestions, there with be a waiting line until the following year.

Fred's got some great suggestions there. I wonder if they made a GL1800 to accomadate all those changes, what that would do to the price of a new GL1800?

·
Registered
626 Posts
NO need to worry about Honda doing Fred's list, cause Honda dosen't listen to the needs/wants of the owners. Honda does what Honda wants, not what owners want. Honda has lost touch with the pulse of the owners.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I like all the Amens around here, mighty spiritual. So, which bike did you guys buy that was of interest to you? I mean, considering that Honda is clueless and about to go bankrupt by making bikes that you didn't want, which manufacture has created this perfect beast to which y'all refer? I love them "everything the customer has asked for" companies that are all over the business map.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Do you think anyone at Honda reads this board? I think the "Tech" board should be renamed "R&D" board. :roll:

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Fred H. said:
Fix or remove the anti-dive valve (put cartridge forks in BOTH legs)

Find the cause of the rear brake shudder at high temps, and fix it

Another digit on both the trip meters

Saddlebag and trunk lids that don't rub (a simple strip of teflon tape would do)

An accurate speedometer

Extend (double) the turn signal cancel time out

Really fix the saddlebag and trunk release mechanism

Fix the GPS on the 06 for the "Unverified road" problem and relocate the GPS controls and remove the lockout on them so they can be used when moving (stop letting the lawyers get their noses in the design)

Add an Electrically adjustable windshield

Fix the cruise control buzz in headsets

Add a passenger volume control that works

put some protection on the bottom of the coolant overflow tank so rocks won't bust holes in it

Put a stiffer spring on the rear shock (1,000 lbs/inch)

Find a better switch design for the reverse, mute, flashers, and cruise that doesn't stick and lock up

All the bike really needs is a little refinement and some minor fixes, and none of them would be hard or expensive to do.
I would also add,

double the size of the *BOSS* on the front fender "B" through bolt holes, so the part "B" fender won't crack. ( along with the chrome calipher covers )

·
Registered
544 Posts
Fred Tell us what you really think! Actually you had some great suggestions but as you guys said, Honda doesn't give a crap about what we think. They already have our money.

Yamaha listened to the FJR-1300 riders who complained abiut the heat on the drivers legs. They fixed the problem and now they have an even greater bike. Why can't Honda do the same?

·
Vendor
22,512 Posts
The Bear said:
Yamaha listened to the FJR-1300 riders who complained abiut the heat on the drivers legs. They fixed the problem and now they have an even greater bike. Why can't Honda do the same?
Yea, except Yamaha didn't just stop at fixing what was broke. They continued with more changes till they broke what didn't need fixing.

They modified the throttle pulley on the 06 to have a progressive pitch to accentuate "throttle tip in", which makes the bike extremely hard to control at low speeds and RPMs and causes it to be really jerky especially at slower speeds. It is one of the oldest and cheapest tricks around to try to make a vehicle feel like it has more power, by making small throttle movement result in larger changes in the throttle plates. Trouble is, the FJR has 145 hp, and it doesn't need any help to make it feel faster, and the progressive pulley only makes the bike harder to ride smoothly.

It really is too bad that companies don't spend money after a product is fielded to go out and re-examine the design to see what worked and what didn't, and then fine tune the design to get it right. It wouldn't take that much work to take a bike from being a really good bike, to a perfect bike.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Of all the people on this board, I probably respect Fred the most, so I am very guarded with what I say here.

I have had such great luck with the E3 70 rear tire fixing so many things that I think it is worth a shot for most riders.
1. It lowers the engine RPM at a given speed by 6.8%

2. It picks the bike up about 3/4 inch in the back, and when coupled with stiffer front springs, makes a significant difference in ground clearance.

3. The speedo is dead on at 65 mph, and very close from 50 mph up. The odometer is about 1.2% slow.

4. I reluctantly changed tires last Friday with considerable tread remaining on the rear tire and some on the front, because it was time for service and approching time for some trips and I did not want to start out with tires that had 23,000 miles on them. However, I have never had that kind of tire service before, and I am sure they would have gone 25,000 miles, real miles. Remember that I never ride without the Tailwind on the back.

I will admit that the tires are noiser that the D250s or Bridgestones. I am like several others in our group that use the E3 70 tires, I will never go back. If I was aggressive and did Deal's gap every day, I might feel differently, but it really fits my riding style to a tee.

Relative to the brake shudder. I had it often on the 01 bike and have only had a small hint of it once on this bike. The only change that is obvious on the 04 and later is the shield on the inboard side of the right hand muffler. I never used a full size tire on the back of the 01 either. The brake shudder may still be there if I were to dog the brakes hard, but it is definitely far better than the earlier bike.

I agree with all of Fred's comments, tempered slightly with those above.

Relative to the lifters, it appears to me that the lifters are a lifetime deal.

So far, I have not had a fender problem in 107,000 miles, but I would like a longer aft half of the fender.

I do have an annoyance, and that is the alternator drives later in life noise. Maybe the 06 is better. Mine rattles far too much at lower rpms.

I would love to have the bike as quiet as the 1500 is, mechanically.

·
Registered
696 Posts
tire

WHAT TOM AND FRED HAD TO SAY AND MORE. PUT 70 ON REAR MOST PROBLEMS THAT YOU DONT LIKE WILL NO LONGER BE THERE. I PUT AVONS ON MY BIKE AND IT IS NOT THE SAME BIKE IT IS THAT MUCH DIFFERENT.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts