GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a flyer in the mail today about joining the HRCA, just wondering
how many Gold Wingers out there belong and has anyone benefited by being a member. Just how bad can $40.00/ yr be to find out.........

2007 Titanium

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I'm a member. Never used them (knock on wood), but have heard nothing but good things.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
One benefit that I would highly recommend taking advantage is the $75 (if I remember correctly) reimbursement for taking a Motorcycle Saftey Foundation class. That more than covers the price of admission. In addition you get the road trip insurance including towing and trip interruption coverage.

I say go for it. I keep my membership current.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Like any kind of towing insurance, just get it and hope you never have to use it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The towing coverage is reasuring to have and I have not had to use it so far. Each year you are given a gift which you select from a short list, most have discovered it takes a while to receive but I always have, in fact I now have three sets of Cruz Tools. Also mentioned is the credit for training which is more than you pay for membership. I have collected on that twice. Last is a shot at getting a discount on your bike insurance. I have taken my business there a couple of years but it isn't always the cheapest.
OH< If you go to a rally or event where they have the Honda factory demo team, members can sign up for two rides at a time. Non members have to get back to the end of the line for a shot at a second ride.
It is a good value for your money in my opinion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I enjoy it. When we first purchased our VTX we received a free year in the club. Now many of my friends are in their early 40's and are buying bikes and finding it hard to find people to ride with. The HRC chapter I belong to has a great group of people always itching to ride - so that part of it has been great for me.

I've not had to use the towing - but do have that option.

A club friend of mine has used the trip routing option and said its wonderful.

Oh and the money back for rider training is cool too.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Unless something has changed recently, you should have gotten a free membership for one year with the purchase of the '07 Titanium.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I keep it for the towing, but have never had to use it. Seems like good ins. if you travel much. The rest of the benefits are crap. JMHO

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I used my free year for buying the Wing. Dropped it because I already have towing with GWRRA and my insurance. Seemed like an OK organization, but just not enough for the cost.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Got it, used the towing once, which was enough to pay for it for about ten years. Cost is about $40, they give you a tire guage or a multi tool, reemburse you for a MSF course, yada-yada. But, the towing has no limit on cost or mileage - just to the nearest Honda dealer that can repair the bike. After looking at the limits of the other towing packages (i.e, GWRRA is $100), just decided to stay with HRCA. My one flat tire resulted in a $400 tow bill across half of Arizona that I just signed a dotted line for.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I joined last year so I could get the reinbursement for the Experiencd Rider Course. Membership+$39 Course+$65.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have it and I have received some free bee's when I renu each year, and they have contests at times thru the year and a pretty good little magazine.
Like everyone said I just want all the backup I can have in case!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Its is worth the money just for the towing. I used it once when a truck pulled out in front of me and I hit him.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I belong to AMA, GWRRA, and HRCA. Each has their own benefits and costs.

AMA for the legal representations they strive for in motorcycle riding.

GWRRA for the fellowship WHEN I want it - I can usually make a call or two if I am going out solo and want a bud and find a willing victim (I mean RIDER).

And HRCA for the towing, trip, HOOT, insurance discount (saved me $250.00 just the first year), and participating dealer discount (usually 10%). The MSF courses here in PA are free (well not exactly - we pay a couple bucks for having the M endorsement).

·
Old Crusty Member
76 Posts
If their insurance is anything like their commitment to refund you $75 for taking the safety course I would forget it. I WAS a member until I took the safety course and they refused to pay because I took it on a trike. Along with that they had SEVERAL other exceptions where they wouldn't pay for the safety course.
Their insurance sounds really good and they can afford to advertise their insurance, like they do for the refund for their safety course when in reality they have so many exceptions they rarely have to pay.
They won't get anymore memberships from me............cd

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've been a member for years, but only used the towing service once (a blowout on my Valkyrie). Just for piece of mind, it's worth it.

·
Registered
21,097 Posts
used it when the alternator on my 1800 went out, didn't cost me a penny and i got a tow and new alternator

even if u don't need to get towed it's nice to have if a problem comes up away from home because they have good influence to find and motivate a dealer to take care of any problems ASAP

over the years i am sure i paid in more than i got back but even with a Goldwing problems do come up occasionally so its nice not to have to worry about a possible huge repair bill somewhere unexpected

and don't forget if your repair is under warranty and takes overnite or longer HRCA will reimburse meals and lodging

·
Registered
393 Posts
I am and it did...save my bacon that is. While riding along through the Mojave desert in the early afternoon of a Saturday 3 day weekend, I had a catastophic rear tire failure. I had two options 1. curl up in the fetal position and surely die or 2. blow the dust off my memebership card to see HRCA's help number. It worked. I was back in my hotel room just a couple of hours later enjoying the AC knowing that THUD had new skin on her rear. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts