GL1800Riders Forums banner

Honda roadside warranty ----vent---

2K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  abba352 
#1 ·
This is a recap of how Honda roadside warranty handled my recent mishap.

Laura crashed on Friday, so i called them soon after to have the bike removed for repair, etc

I called and gave them 40 pieces of info they already had, then was told i would have to pay anything over 30 miles, well lets just say i got the supervisor and issued a nice tounge lashing, Then of course they agreed they could do that without my paying

But they towed the bike 102 miles from the accident site, farther away from my house, where as the closest honda motorcycle dealer was 64 miles away, and exactly 3 miles from my house

what morons

so two more calls today and they agreed to haul it back where it should have been in the first place, at no cost to me, and they will pay the storage fee at the original location

so they hauled it 102 the first time, and now 166 back down here,

i just got the message, they will tow it in 30 minutes

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you out of pocket anything?

Will it end up where you want it?

Geez...it could have been worse...they could have told you to pack sand.

Instead..they made it right and you call them morons?

Sounds to me like all ended well...

#3 ·
lets see, i had to waste a lot of time to call the fools two more times after it should have been done

then i couldnt call the insurance company with proper info on the extent of the damages and make an informed decision, since i cant leave to go see it 335 miles round trip away, i still have no clue as to the damages and what action to take, had they taken ot to the closest dealer, i could have seen it yesterday, since its 6 miles round trip from my house

and there is always the chance they could have said, no its 335 mile round trip and you pay to haul it home, since us MORONS at honda warranty are too stupid to take it to the closest dealer as you had paid for in the warranty

maybe this is why things in our country suck.... too many people settled for crap service and now thats the norm

i hope in a time of need, others get good service, I did not

#4 ·
Are you out of pocket anything?

Will it end up where you want it?

Geez...it could have been worse...they could have told you to pack sand.

Instead..they made it right and you call them morons?

Sounds to me like all ended well...
How could they tell him to go "pack sand"?

If I understand the policy correctly, they were contracturally obligated to do what he asked. It wasn't a favor they "made right".

I, like Loren, am pissed at having to constantly stay on companies that are quite happy to sell me stuff, and then make me beg for what I paid for.

If my initial assumption is correct (that they were contracturally obligated - and I don't know that), then they were - in fact - morons.

#5 ·
I have the HRCA towing and it is my understanding that they will take the bike to the nearest dealer. Now I have always interpreted this to mean the nearest dealer for the TOW COMPANY. Therefore maybe taking it to your nearest dealer was not best for them, as per the description of services. I would think if they tow you to a dealer that then means they have to return to their home base, this is not good for the tow company. However, the fact that they seem to have gone way way beyond their obligations seems to speak very highly of them.

For as low as $24/year this seems like a real bargain when compared to limited mileage towing services.

#6 ·
Loren if possible arrange to meet the insurance adjuster at the shop for estimated repairs. Also I hope you took bike to a shop that knows you. Ask him to pad estimate in case they find something else wrong. THEY USUALLY DO. I made 2 grand off my bike when I was rear ended.

#7 ·
Loren if possible arrange to meet the insurance adjuster at the shop for estimated repairs. Also I hope you took bike to a shop that knows you. Ask him to pad estimate in case they find something else wrong. THEY USUALLY DO. I made 2 grand off my bike when I was rear ended.
always a good idea to see the bike yourself, and inspect every detail

then go with the adjuster and speak from knowledge, to protect yourself, at the estimate session, especialy when you have numerous add ons and they are insured as a lump, not itemized

i may even drag it home, then they have to come to me, since it will be 3 miles away shortly

#9 ·
I have the HRCA towing and it is my understanding that they will take the bike to the nearest dealer. Now I have always interpreted this to mean the nearest dealer for the TOW COMPANY. Therefore maybe taking it to your nearest dealer was not best for them, as per the description of services. I would think if they tow you to a dealer that then means they have to return to their home base, this is not good for the tow company. However, the fact that they seem to have gone way way beyond their obligations seems to speak very highly of them.

For as low as $24/year this seems like a real bargain when compared to limited mileage towing services.
i dont have hrca roadside

i have the 5 year honda roadside warranty, which is totaly different

the policy is---THEY WILL TOW IT TO THE NEAREST HONDA DEALER, TO THE PICK UP POINT

so the nearest dealer is 64 miles, the one down the street from my house

they towed it, 102 miles to another dealer, in the opposite direction

in fact there were 3 dealers closer than the one they hauled it to, 64 miles to bentonville ar, 66 miles to joplin mo, and 76 miles to springdale ar.

thats the problem, by their own rules, it should have been right here a few minutes away, last friday

#10 ·
Maybe if one approached the issue from a perspective of politely trying to resolve a problem rather than calling people morons and administering tongue lashings things might go better.
Maybe when you're confirming the tow plans you say something like "So the bike will be towed to Centerton Honda (or whatever it is thats close) correct?"
In general I've found that people who behave like horses asses get poorer service. Wonder why?:shrug:

#11 ·
Chill out! I understand your initial frustration, but from where I'm setting, the towing company went out of their way (sorry, couldn't resist that one; just too easy) to make it right with your desires/needs/demands. Although they seemed to have made an initial mistake, they certainly ate some costs to make it right by you. Sounds like a good company that has a driver that may not be the brightest bulb in the package. All's well that ends well.

#12 ·
And we wonder why our insurance is so high. Don't you feel even a little guilty about that?

#13 ·
As I have to renew my policy, now with HAL I have a copy from my local dealer as well as looking at HAL's offer. Just do not see where it says as you state "THEY WILL TOW IT TO THE NEAREST HONDA DEALER, TO THE PICK UP POINT"

This is what the dealers copy shows as well as HAL. Must be different policies being offered at different locations. But in your case now I do understand your frustration. Here is how it is shown on my policy and copy from the dealer.

"Towing to the nearest Honda Dealer, regardless of distance. Towing to the customer's residence within 30 miles."

#14 ·
Maybe if one approached the issue from a perspective of politely trying to resolve a problem rather than calling people morons and administering tongue lashings things might go better.
Maybe when you're confirming the tow plans you say something like "So the bike will be towed to Centerton Honda (or whatever it is thats close) correct?"
In general I've found that people who behave like horses asses get poorer service. Wonder why?:shrug:
they will not tell you where it is going

and i was polite, right up until i found out the morons took it where they did

i didnt expect them to haul it to my garage

but i did pay them to haul it to the nearest honda dealer, as per the warranty

#15 ·
Few years back, I was on my way to work at 8 o'clock in the morning. I was getting ready to get on freeway and the throttle cable broke. I wanted to take it to the dealer I bought it from which was 30 miles away. Called HRCA and they said 15 miles and anything over I would have to pay. I also had AAA Plus since 1985. Called them and was told no problem, Sent a flat bed with a chock and was towed to dealership. (100 miles per tow.)

#16 ·
Since this if a felony in your state, perhaps it's better if you don't let anymore than the 26,000 members of this board know about it.

#17 ·
Since this if a felony in your state, perhaps it's better if you don't let anymore than the 26,000 members of this board know about it.
in my case, all i want is what i have comming, but i want 100% of what i have comming

so please dont get me mixed up in a padding of estimates, but note, i will make sure every single mark is fixed, since the bike is brand new with 1100 miles on it

#18 ·
If I had a loved one just injured in a crash and was trying to deal with getting the bike towed I would probably be easily frustrated, impatient, and probably pretty easily irritated. If I had to go to a supervisor to get proper service it would probably exacerbate my irritation and put me in a really bad mood. I'm sure I would not have good feelings toward those folks.

That being said; It sounds like the end result was a lot better than it could have been. Mistakes were made but the company corrected them and did what they should have done. I wouldn't condem them quite so harshly.

Hope the insurance does right by you.

#19 ·
and if u were told no... would you still be so polite? FTR-he was very nice and polite right from the start. considering what all hes been thru the last 5 days.... hes doing excellent with all this stuff.

#20 ·
Don't mean to hijack the thread but will will diverge it some only because my post does involve "roadside assistance" to a degree.

Gonna remain "Neutral" on the OP debate but I do tend to lean toward he who has most personal reason to feel personally aggrieved by what he percieves to be Shabby treatment. He is, after all, the one on the receiving end of it, and anyone else, in a sense, is merely Monday-morning arrmchair-quarterbacking.

To say nothing of the fact that by now presumably most members would know the OP's loved one SO also sustained some apparently-serious bodily injury in the same incident, when he did make some refence to in this particular OP as well, so anyone with half a noodle would and I think should hopefully realize OP has an awful lotta highly upsetting "Stuff" on his mind at this juncture.

So if even OP is merely bleating and wailing or venting absent due cause or reason, re the roadside assist element, which does NOT appear to be the case at all (not unwarranted griping) - but even IF it was - maybe cut the guy a little slack. He doesn't needs contrary debates. he could probably use a little friendly sympathetic caring support, if anything. He's a bro on 2 wheels regardless of how well ya do or do not personally know him. And Lord knows he and I certainly haven't always seen "eye to eye", but fair is fair and right is right, especially when a bro's and his SO loved one has sustained a significant loss and injury. Just MHO and maybe a little morrsel-food for thought . . .

Now to the point. Recently had the unfortunate experience of having to deal with an insurance co. for a wrecked GW. Stress I have absolutely zero connection or affilition with decribed carrier other than as a Customer.

GW was insured via Progressive Insurance Company. Perhas said too smugly, but I think it might be fair to say comparatively few people may "know ins co's" as well as I do. I've worked for 'em, with 'em and against' em in various arenas for about 33 years. I've seen, understood and been involved in both sides of "that fence".

I am quite happy to be able to say I could not have been more fairly pleased, impressed or satisfied with the extremely competent, fair, polite, expeditious and professional treatment and handling I received from progressive throughout each and every aspect and stage of claim handling and settlement. I mean, Truly Impressive, which is one of the only reasons I am even bothering to make the post.

At least here in FL, in a segment of the industry most carriers don't even wanna "touch" at all, (2-wheeler insurance, inclusive of medical BI coverage), Progressive has elected to "specialize" and make a name for itself for motoryclists.

Initially I was a tad leery of very mild "steerage" to one of Progressive's "approved dealer" Honda shops for damage appraisal and repairs if nt a total loss. Out of 3 local dealers in close proximity, their "approved dealer" was the one I myself would have selected anyway, and I could have selected any shop without protest from Progressive.

Initially I was expecting typical, the cage appraiser who doesn't really know too myuch about bikes. The Progressive appraiser was a recent-year Daytona Speedway MC pro race winner who after moving on to managing or owning his own local MC shop was head-hunted and solicited for hire by Progressive because they WANTED a MC appraiser who really "knew his stuff" for MC claims svc in this region. And "know his stuff" to the max, he did. We had some minor difference of opinion re parts pricing and labor values for add-on accessory items, and each and every minor little or major difference of opinion for both parts and total-loss settlment vehicle ACV value was resolved almost effortlessly without anything turning even the slightest bit difficult or sour. Perhaps because I knew some stuff moreso than "typical claimants" might so was well prepared documentation-wise etc. but even so they were very fair. Appraise was an extremely reasonable person, as I also tried to be, and in one instance where he found some merit in my viewpoints, he even went to bat for me by working his way up two-ladder rungs in the command hierarchy to the local-area head hncho, and got the "top man" to completely agree with and accept my politely stated demand. The appraiser didn't have to do that at all.

Appraiser was, in short, a top-notch real nice straight-up-front guy and a "biker' himself. On both the pro circuit as well as general mindset. definitely a "company man" in present position but fairly so. He did say Progressive made him the proverbial ofer too good to refuse to go to work for them, but also stated he himself was highly impressed by them and wouldn't be working for them if he wasn't.

I'm throwing this out there primarily because Progressive does offer roadside assiatnce coverage, at least in FL. I have not yet had reason or occasion to utilize that yet, thankfully, but if they handle their roadside coverage as well as they do their claims svc I think anyone would be happy.

For my total-loss GW claim, Progressive did pay the approx $300 private flatbed tow (rotation tow per State Trooper protocols) from acc site to my home. Then they arranged for an emclosed-trailer tow from my home to the Honda dealership for damage appraisal. The svc dept of the "approved dealership" was also top-notch in all spects of claim-related svc performed by them.

I think it might be "kinda rare" that anyone has cause or reason to "sing praises" for an insurance carrier's claim svc, but Progressive gets my vote at least in my region of FL. Presumimg corporate philosophy and practices may be generally similar where and whatever state the do underwrite motorcycle coverages in, I put this out there to the form members FWIW, if anything. They gave me a really fair shake, and I found that extremely refreshing. Especially amidst the proverbial "rough time" of "unfortunate events".

So if Roadside assistance as well as general motorcycle coverage is being sought, maybe give Progressive a look-see considration.

Apologies for the semi-thread hijack, Loran, and best wishes again to yourself and Laura.

Dinner's on gotta go ain't go time to proof-read this so please exycuse typo errors if any.

#21 ·
Hey Laura, glad to see you're able to get on again, hope all is healing well. Missed getting to meet you at the gathering, but really enjoyed the weekend, (just wished you could have said the same). Anyway, thanks for all the hard work putting it together. Hope you continue on the road to recovery.

#22 ·
i received a call from honda warranty and some big timer told me how sorry they were to --drop the ball .....

it seems their system only shows a state at a time, even with that excuse, joplin mo was only 66 miles from the crash site and they hauled it 102 miles the other way, still no excuse and even their excuse is totaly wrong

end result is, they hauled the bike to my house, its here right now in my garage, and i hope i never actualy need them ever again, i have many more things to contend with, rather than waste time tracking down my wrecked bike

#24 ·
I quit calling Honda roadside assistance when I had a flat tire on the VTX and they asked me if I had a spare tire with me.

#25 ·
they will not tell you where it is going

and i was polite, right up until i found out the morons took it where they did

i didnt expect them to haul it to my garage

but i did pay them to haul it to the nearest honda dealer, as per the warranty
what kind of reason did they have for not telling u where the bike would b towed ?

#26 ·
i received a call from honda warranty and some big timer told me how sorry they were to --drop the ball .....

it seems their system only shows a state at a time, even with that excuse, joplin mo was only 66 miles from the crash site and they hauled it 102 miles the other way, still no excuse and even their excuse is totaly wrong

end result is, they hauled the bike to my house, its here right now in my garage, and i hope i never actualy need them ever again, i have many more things to contend with, rather than waste time tracking down my wrecked bike
So, after seeing it what do you think? I didn't think it looked all that bad. Tank was dented and the windshield was broke. Of course we were a little distracted with other things at the time, I might have missed something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.