GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased Honda's upgrade seat? Wondering how you like it and if you are pleased with overall comfort and quality. One thing I don't like is that the Honda backrest won't fit. Do other backrests work with the upgraded seat?

I have had Corbin's in the past - loved the selection of materials. I don't really like the toilet seat shaped backrest that Corbin offers. Some of the other seat makers don't have much in the way of material selection (Honda included).

My original seat has developed a split in the molded seam on the right side. The threads haven't given way but the vinyl is splitting. I am doubtful that it will be covered by warranty despite being a bit over two years old.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am aware of the other seat manufacturers but haven't heard if anyone got the Honda seat. Perhaps very few have purchased it?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I am aware of the other seat manufacturers but haven't heard if anyone got the Honda seat. Perhaps very few have purchased it?
It kind of makes you wonder if the stock seat was lousy, would you get a seat from the same maker? If the optional seat is really good, why didn't they put it on the motorcycle in the first place?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It kind of makes you wonder if the stock seat was lousy, would you get a seat from the same maker? If the optional seat is really good, why didn't they put it on the motorcycle in the first place?
I am thinking they were trying to keep cost down to attract more buyers. Knowing the original seat was not that great, they figured they'd have an optional seat available (but it costs more if you want it). Why do you think they did it? I was hoping someone has purchased it and might comment. I do have an ulterior motive but for now I just wanted to hear if anyone bought one and if they liked it.

·
Vendor
16,590 Posts
Maybe they are trying to fit more butts.

·
Vendor
16,590 Posts
I am thinking they were trying to keep cost down to attract more buyers. Knowing the original seat was not that great, they figured they'd have an optional seat available (but it costs more if you want it). Why do you think they did it? I was hoping someone has purchased it and might comment. I do have an ulterior motive but for now I just wanted to hear if anyone bought one and if they liked it.
A big disadvantage to aftermarket seats is dealing with rain getting into the stitching area. An OEM seat is weather tight.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Wingsoft did a utube video comparing the stock seat to the Honda accessory seat and pretty much the only differences was the stitching looks...no way is that Honda seat worth 900 plus dollars that Honda wants for it

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the Honda custom seat. I like it. Has a higher backrest for me. Doesn't have the hole for the other backrest. Looks better, IMHO. I bought it "like new" off ebay for $750 and sold my stock seat for $400, so it only cost me about $350.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Bayrec you should ask the dealer about warranty replacement. I had a seam coming apart on my 07 and Honda gave me a new seat while it was under warranty.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Norman; can you provide some details about your seat mod? Thanks.
I purchased my gel pad from Motorcycle Dave and followed his installation instructions he provides. You basically remove the staples, peel the cover back, draw a gris on the seat to make cut lines same depth, smooth it out and place the gel pad in opening. I put another 1/4 of upholstery foam on top, pulled seat cover back on and stapled. Let me know if you need some photos.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Buy a corbin and don't look back
“Don’t look back?” Some people hate the Corbin; others are disappointed with the RDL. Some (like me) think the stock seat is really good. Some say the stock seat gets better after breaking in. My point is “different seats for different butts”.

·
Registered
190 Posts
“Don’t look back?” Some people hate the Corbin; others are disappointed with the RDL. Some (like me) think the stock seat is really good. Some say the stock seat gets better after breaking in. My point is “different seats for different butts”.
Agreed. I used to work for a motorcycle parts distributor/retailer. Corbin seats were ugly, uncomfortable, and plagued by fitment problems. They were constantly being returned. I'll never use a Corbin, myself.

I paid big bucks for a Seth Laam on my Concours 14, and it was garbage. They had zero interest in making it right, either.

Of course, you'll also find people who love Corbin or rave about Seth Laam. There are definitely varied opinions on the topic. Find the seat that works FOR YOU.

I just wish it was easier to try some of the custom seat vendors without committing $1k+ and having to ship off your seat for 30-120 days.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a little over 33400 miles on my DCT tour. The worst aspect of this bike isn't storage. I love this bike however I will be getting a seat replacement and it will not be the Honda custom seat. I watched WingSoft video and was disappointed. I don't like rally's however I should attend one where multiple seat vendors are present. Are any coming up? I really liked my Corbin's although I haven't sat on some of the other popular choices. I was one of those that stated that the seat was uncomfortable but over time it got better. That feeling didn't last long enough. In the past I made the replacement around year 5. This stock seat will not make it to year 4.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The stock seat was painful for me after about 1 hour. I did a ride-in with Seth Lamm and am pleased, no more pain.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts