GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
For me, I found the stock seat horrible! I've done a bit of riding and even a few 1K days on other brand of bikes (they were really long days). I will say for me the key to enjoying your ride is to get the bike set-up for you. A 30K bike is of no use if you don't want to ride it. I have found that the suspension, handlebar adjustment, windscreen and seat are probably the most important areas. However, I just laid down for a custom Hartco seat so I'm probably not in my right mind to comment (financially) about anything! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have you owned one for this bike? Always funny when people act like experts about something they have never owned.

Agreed. I used to work for a motorcycle parts distributor/retailer. Corbin seats were ugly, uncomfortable, and plagued by fitment problems. They were constantly being returned. I'll never use a Corbin, myself.

I paid big bucks for a Seth Laam on my Concours 14, and it was garbage. They had zero interest in making it right, either.

Of course, you'll also find people who love Corbin or rave about Seth Laam. There are definitely varied opinions on the topic. Find the seat that works FOR YOU.

I just wish it was easier to try some of the custom seat vendors without committing $1k+ and having to ship off your seat for 30-120 days.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Have you owned one for this bike? Always funny when people act like experts about something they have never owned.
So if I’ve seen dozens of Corbins and hated them all, and witnessed dozens or perhaps hundreds of returns and customer complaints, you‘re saying all of that is irrelevant unless I pay hundreds or even a thousand bucks to buy it for every motorcycle?

Yea, you’re on you own with that line of thinking...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pot meet Kettle

So if I’ve seen dozens of Corbins and hated them all, and witnessed dozens or perhaps hundreds of returns and customer complaints, you‘re saying all of that is irrelevant unless I pay hundreds or even a thousand bucks to buy it for every motorcycle?

Yea, you’re on you own with that line of thinking...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I owned a Corbin on my 1985 GL1200 and also on my 2008 GL1800. They make them very firm. The fitment, selection of materials and attention to detail were fantastic. I got compliments from bikers and non biker strangers about the appearance. When I first got on the bike I was thinking that this Corbin seat is way too hard. I took a 5 day trip that was over 3500 miles. When I got home, I went riding the following day. I recently came back from Florida - 1487 miles on the stock seat. I got home and felt fine. I was a cripple for the next 3 days. I was so sore I was nauseated from the pains.. lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Always had good luck with corbin myself but it is not the only option out there. Just wanted to say i'm happy with my purchase. Bike is a 2018 standard DCT dealer added the trunk and helibars on their own for some bike show.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have seen some ugly seats that corbin has produced for different models. But the one they produce for the 2018 and up looks good imho.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
A big disadvantage to aftermarket seats is dealing with rain getting into the stitching area. An OEM seat is weather tight.
That was one of my issues with an Ultimate. I mean who wants to ride on a trip and have to put on a rain cover for a 1200 dollar seat. Makes no sense, never again for me.

Fred

·
Registered
653 Posts
I've got maybe 50k on an Ultimate seat on 3 different bikes & never had a problem with the rain. Of course I've never left 1 sitting uncovered overnight in a rainstorm either. But never put a cover on more than 3 or 4 times and then only when I knew I was gonna be in serious rain all day long. The RoadMaster was the most concerning as it had stiches everywhere!

·
Vendor
16,590 Posts
That was one of my issues with an Ultimate. I mean who wants to ride on a trip and have to put on a rain cover for a 1200 dollar seat. Makes no sense, never again for me.

Fred
And, I've been on trips where I road for 2 days in a rain storm.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
A big disadvantage to aftermarket seats is dealing with rain getting into the stitching area. An OEM seat is weather tight.

Fred

This is my heated RDL Sunbrella seat sprayed with 303......I took this video 1-month and several rides after spray coating the saddle.
I spray the seat about once every 2-months......works very well.
I also have a RDL seat cover that I only use at night if very heavy rains are predicted, otherwise I don't use it.

Never had an issue with water getting in through the stitching....

·
Registered
166 Posts
I purchased my gel pad from Motorcycle Dave and followed his installation instructions he provides. You basically remove the staples, peel the cover back, draw a gris on the seat to make cut lines same depth, smooth it out and place the gel pad in opening. I put another 1/4 of upholstery foam on top, pulled seat cover back on and stapled. Let me know if you need some photos.
Thank you.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts