GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda Service Manual or Fred Harmon DVDs?

I'm trying to decide whether to buy the Genuine Honda Service Manual on DVD or Fred Harmon's GL1800 Service Videos for my 2008 GL1800. I primarily want to do light maintenance to install accessories, so mostly I want something that shows how to remove all the plastic parts. For those who own both, which is most likely to meet my needs?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I'm trying to decide whether to buy the Genuine Honda Service Manual on DVD or Fred Harmon's GL1800 Service Videos for my 2008 GL1800. I primarily want to do light maintenance to install accessories, so mostly I want something that shows how to remove all the plastic parts. For those who own both, which is most likely to meet my needs?

Thanks in advance.
When I bought my '06 I bought the Honda service manual. To techy and not enough detail for me. I bought Fred's video's and they are made for my level of knowledge, handyman but no mechanic. I used the video to change my air filter so I already paid for it just doing that. I played it step by step for the filter change. Honestly, I looked at the video for the coolant change then went to the Honda service manual to verify. No need to go to the manual. If you want to buy the manual from me, $50 plus shipping.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
I just have Fred's DVD's and recently: adjusted the cruise control so it stays at the speed set (this involved taking all the top plastic pieces off), changed clutch fluid, changed brake fluid, oil change and rear end oil change, installing mirror turn signal lights and caliper cover lights, installing a spoiler brake light modulator. I like being able to watch the whole job through then going back to the beginning and start the wrenching process, pausing the DVD until I get a bit done then start at the next step. Fred includes tips to make things much easier to keep track of the parts you're removing. It's like he has your back. Cliff.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,476 Posts
Get Fred's DVDs, anything else you need to know, just ask, plenty of us have the service manual and questions and answers are free. :thumbup:

By the way, Welcome to the board!

Only request one thing when asking questions, include the year of your bike and option level, there are differences.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have both. Try and read first but like looking at the DVD to go step by step and trust me I need that as I'm not that great working on bikes. :confused:

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I use freds DVD and Honda manual in print. Would get both no matter how many times I would rethink of buying, a "Wing". :thumbup:

·
Registered
342 Posts
The manual give you the facts and just the facts.

Fred's DVD's show you how to do it.

Two different, complementary, ways of learning.

If at all possible get both. It's a $20,000+ motorcycle, invest in your investment.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have both and they have served me well for many years. They both have their own advantages. But I view the service manual as a supplement to Fred's DVDs..... Why?.... at the very least, the DVDs will give you the opportunity to assess a given maintenance task and decide whether you want to tackle it or not. If after watching the DVDs and you decide that you're going to do the maintenance, you have a good point of reference and great detail photos to work from. Or if you're paying someone else to do the maintenance, you gain some insight what they should be doing. No matter what, IMHO you're further ahead with the DVDs. If you're not going to do any work on your own on the bike, then I'm not sure why you would want or need the service manual.

The photos at this link will give you some insight of the quality of work to expect in the DVDs. Fred has definetly educated a lot of us :bow:.
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/root

For installing accessories, I found that any of the items I added, the instructions supplied were usually all I needed, and when in the instances when I had questions, they were answered by this board. It is nice to have, but I would not have needed the service manual to install accessories.

Last but not least, this board is a tremendous resource also. Lots of good advice.

·
Registered
510 Posts

If at all possible get both. It's a $20,000+ motorcycle, invest in your investment.
+1 I agree. Get both if you can. It seems plausible you can afford the manual and dvds if you can afford the bike.

·
Registered
589 Posts
An inexpensive DVD player for the shop will display Fred's videos. Getting grease on the laptop keyboard will not make your day when others use it inside the home.

I have both reference devices. Many of the off the cuff suggestions Fred makes need to be seen twice because they are a huge help in handling all the different small parts.

The service manual specifies expensive Honda sold speciality tools for a job. Many times, Fred shows the viewer how to accomplish the work with tools one may already have in their shop or can be acquired inexpensively from local sources.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

:thumbup::thumbup: Fred's videos are for "entertainment only":cool::cool:

·
Registered
17,039 Posts
To properly use Fred's video's, you need the service manual. He makes that very clear.

prs

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts

·
Registered
19,321 Posts
Just Freds DVDs. If I need more than that I will take it in

·
Registered
601 Posts

When did motorcycles become investments??? :joke:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts