GL1800Riders Forums banner

Honda sure is makin' it tough

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  RRIXX 
#1 ·
Went to look at some 07's today at Excaliber Power sports in CT. today. First off I must say the metallic colors are beautiful. The silver and red ones in the sun are magnificant!! But while at Cats-Cade a few month ago I ran into Fred Harmon and he had a GPS /XM/Weather device on his cycle that was just incredible. I would love a new wing with ABS, Airbag and everytig BUT the GPS it is not very helpful and it would be redudnant for me. The cd player by now should play mp3's and with 6 loaded you would have 1000's of songs loaded . There is no lockable side pocket on the gps model and the buttons are in a whacky , but acsessible position. I am wondering if they will EVER have an al-la-cart buy what you want bike.... I just may have to wait..

You guys have got to check um out when they hit your local dealer. The color looks really impressive..

Matt(Ashland,MA)

#5 ·
I once taught a course in Toronto on telephone systems and on the very first page, in the very first paragraph, in the very first line they were talking about "the public switched network". Well guess what word they left the "L" out of? I always waited for the snickers to begin when I asked the techs to read the first paragraph to themselves.

I'll have to check out the metallic blue. Is it anything like the '01 Pearl Blue?

#6 ·
Matt(Ashland said:
I am wondering if they will EVER have an al-la-cart buy what you want bike....
Interesting concept.....but I'd doubt it. Twenty five yrs ago Honda cars only offered two or three "packages" where Ford, GM, Chysler let you pick your options. Now they all offer "Packages" only. Cheaper to manufacturer when you have it standardized.
Ray of Hope...Victory motorcycles lets you build your own bike until Oct 31 for delivery next year.
JU

#7 ·
Packages seem the norm today in the vehicle world.....buy it and be happy , period

VW offers package 0 , package 1 , package 2 or 3 on the Jetta we bought.

We wanted upgraded seats , power, heated , material and few other items offered in the packages. Problem was that ALL packages above the package zero included a $1,000.00+ sun roof. I will not own a car with a hole in the roof.

So we bought a package 0 Jetta last year

Sadly we must pay the price for a Honda installed GPS that is so limited when compared to a common Garmin unit like my 2610 I use on my 1800.

#9 ·
jim evans said:
Was good to see you today Matt
Nice meeting you too , thats a great store, with all you do I will most likely be back there in a few months to trade up!

Dive Master said:
Matt is it the airbag model that does not have the lockable compartment? My 06 with nav has one.
Nope it has gone the way of the dodo

Matt(Ashland,MA)

#10 ·
Options

See my "last" post on the GPS board under "Truth be told,Honda Nav really sucks" (page 3), I finally got around to breaking it down as to why offering "a la cart" is going to be very difficult, between 5 available colors, came up with, I think it was, 95 different combinations.
Just don't think everyone is going to be able to get the Wing that they precisely want any time soon or ever. Just have to take the best that they offer that comes closest to meeting your needs, and it may involve a compromise.
Maybe one day (like someone mentioned that Triumph is doing) Honda will let you "order" one to your liking but I imagine it could be a long wait.
Dennis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.