GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use Honda synthetic oil? I have it in my 2005 w/CSC and so far no problems. Never see any comments about it.

Dave

2005 GL1800 CSC
2004 Silverwing
:trike:

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I have used Honda's full synthetic in the red jug with no complaints. I did switch to Castol syn because it was on sale for almost half off. Gotta go with the sale

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
answer:

Honda synthetic is a quality oil, as is Golden Spectro, Mobil 1, Amsoil, Shell Rotella, and many other synthetics. If any one of these will successfully lubricate and protect your engine to do over 200,000 miles potentially, then they ALL will. Just change it at the recommended intervals in your owners manual. Many have a favorite oil that is the "savior", but that's mostly fluff, nonsense, too much time on your hands, paranoia, or whatever you decide to call it.

There; I started a fight. That is in my nature... very proud of myself about now.

·
Registered
871 Posts
honda oil

I use the HP-4 blend and am very happy with it, don't know if I would go full sythetic because of the cost but if I did I would use the Honda and by it thru the board sponser

·
Registered
123 Posts
I changed from the HP-4 to Honda's full synthetic in my '06. It performs well, as I'd expect of any quality oil. I like the idea of using fully synthetic oil for better lubtication at start up. I also run the oil to Honda's recommended change intervals, and synthetic is better in extended service. I buy it by the case from HDL.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I changed from the HP-4 to Honda's full synthetic in my '06. It performs well, as I'd expect of any quality oil. I like the idea of using fully synthetic oil for better lubtication at start up. I also run the oil to Honda's recommended change intervals, and synthetic is better in extended service. I buy it by the case from HDL.
You make a good point. When using a full synthetic oil, I would feel more comfortable following Honda's extended oil change interval.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've not had to change oil on my 09 yet, but in my 98 1500 I used Honda synthetic with no problem. I thought the bike ran smoother with the synthetic, but that may have just been my head or wishfull thinking. I changed it every 4K which is probably excessive, but it worked for me.

S

·
0 Posts
I use it in my '08, now with 8100 miles on it. I changed out the original oil at about 1200 miles and have changed once since then. The Honda full synthetic was comparable in cost to alternatives when I purchased it by the case from HDL.

One thing I have learned in 30+ years around heavy equipment and trucks is that any questionable warranty issues are more easily resolved if OEM lubricants and filters are used.

When my warranty expires I will consider alternatives and base my analysis on comparable cost for comparable quality.

If everything was the same, the line would be too long. That is why they make blondes, brunettes, and red heads....and about a zillion brands of oil for motorcycles!

Ride safe!

Steve McTeer
NRV, Va.
'08 Metallic Red GL1800ABS, GPS, GWRRA, AMA, ARRP, CRS!...and new STONES due to be installed next week!!!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've run Mobil 1, Shell rotella, and Honda regular and have not noticed any difference. So I just get the regular Honda 10-40 when I pick up a new filter. Saves running around. Plus theres no questions on waranty. I have 27,000 on an 06 for what it's worth.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The smoother shifting was the first thing that I picked up on. The service tech said that would probably be what I would see first. He said after a couple of oil changes with the oil, it would be smother yet. I'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Shell rotella T for me, cost less, same protection. Yes the clutch was smoother at first, but that is common with any oil change as far as I can tell. As the oil breaks down the smoothness goes away. It is a clunky transmission by nature.:popcorn::beer3:

·
Registered
819 Posts
Shell rotella T for me, cost less, same protection. Yes the clutch was smoother at first, but that is common with any oil change as far as I can tell. As the oil breaks down the smoothness goes away. It is a clunky transmission by nature.:popcorn::beer3:
Same here! BUT....I change at 4,000 rather than 8,000. Trans has smoothed out. I do have only 120,000 miles so, we'll see. :yes1:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts