GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Vendor
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Occasionally I hire a Honda Tech to help me with my work load. Yesterday, we were pulling 2 motor, and he gets to learn a lot. I'm sure most know that many dealers don't work on many Wings ... probably the one he works at is average. He's learning how all the small stuff is important. Usually "no don't do it that way because it will break." "Now turn it over, see that break there, someone already broke it. " Now write it down so it can leave here correct and that part will become part of the estimate." Or, "do it this way because it is faster." Or, "Flip that seat over, see how one rubber is missing ... at some point it was not installed right and the rubber fell through and is now gone (typical for a trike) ... write that down too." The good part is walking over to the parts bin and pulling the part without having to look up the part number. I'll I do is tell him what section to go to.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Very good Greg.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I hope it doesn't happen, but possible upcoming thread responses:

1. You're scabbing mechanics from shops for personal gain,
2. You're not following the Honda approved curriculum model for instructing a certified (?) Honda tech,
3. You're probably not paying the mechanic cash, but with hands on training experience, thus avoiding paying his share of income related taxes,
4. The engines probably didn't need to be removed, but you wanted to prove to him and everyone you know how to do it, and
5. The mechanic was lead to believe assisting you would count toward his required additional training hours, when in fact it couldn't.

There may be others I missed, but am sure we'll hear them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I hope it doesn't happen, but possible upcoming thread responses:

1. You're scabbing mechanics from shops for personal gain,
2. You're not following the Honda approved curriculum model for instructing a certified (?) Honda tech,
3. You're probably not paying the mechanic cash, but with hands on training experience, thus avoiding paying his share of income related taxes,
4. The engines probably didn't need to be removed, but you wanted to prove to him and everyone you know how to do it, and
5. The mechanic was lead to believe assisting you would count toward his required additional training hours, when in fact it couldn't.

There may be others I missed, but am sure we'll hear them.

Good luck.
6. What about disability coverage/law suit when the engine drops on his foot.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
You guys are frickin fun bunch ! :roll:

Leave the guy along !!!

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Since you're obviously trolling for questions, I'll bite.

By "Honda Tech" do you mean a certified Honda Technician or a dealership mechanic? A great difference between the two.

·
Vendor
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since you're obviously trolling for questions, I'll bite.

By "Honda Tech" do you mean a certified Honda Technician or a dealership mechanic? A great difference between the two.
Both ... one who works at a Honda dealer and who is Honda certified. Yesterday he said, there is no way you'll have these. He was referring to the 2 stays that attach to the front forks (one broken and the other cracked) that hold the upper front fender on and the ECM stay (mount tab broken). All 3 part numbers in stock. He's learning to inspect every part when taken something off. He can't believe how much stuff is broken, missing, incorrect, or worn on any given Wing if the person inspecting it knows how they are suppose to be. It helps to specialize.

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
Greg hires a Honda rep when he gets busy. And you slam him for this? Get a life

·
Vendor
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Greg hires a Honda rep when he gets busy. And you slam him for this? Get a life
I'm sure you mean a Tech. Hire and train them too :)

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
Please point me to the post where anyone slammed Greg????????

·
Registered
331 Posts
I would really dig doing that even if i diddnt get paid. I wish i was close enough or that there was some one in memphis that would let me do that. I just like working on things. I made real good friends in NC and did that exact thing at scoots auto in henderson. then we started working on our racecars, good ol days...:thumbup:

·
Vendor
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is very admirable of you Greg. If you don't mind my asking?. May I ask where you got your Honda training, and how long you have been working on Goldwings.
Professionallyt I've been doing GL1800 repair and since 2007. I'm like many Honda mechanics and have no Honda training. Most m/c techs will leave trade school certified an many thing, but not Honda. For that certification, study is needed in all their Powersports including their lawn mowers and edge trimmers. Like most mechanics, often we take the experience we have and bounce between either the car/Lt Truck, M/C, semi-diesel, heavy equipment, and marine. Many m/c mechanics have no certificates at all and move onto the automotive industry where the working conditions are better as well as pay. I did the reverse and became interested in the GL1800 after owning one. Almost all mechanics have some sort of formal mechanical schooling. In my case a total of 4 years.

·
Vendor
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would really dig doing that even if i diddnt get paid. I wish i was close enough or that there was some one in memphis that would let me do that. I just like working on things. I made real good friends in NC and did that exact thing at scoots auto in henderson. then we started working on our racecars, good ol days...:thumbup:
I get 4 or 5 calls a year requesting the same thing with people willing to work for free. Others want to watch and learn while their air filter is replace. As for the ones wanting to learn while their air filter is replace, I tell them I don't work on Wings while people wait. For service, bring it in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon. In my avatar on the left, if the lower part of the door was shown you'd see that it says I work "Island Time" ... when I want, if I want, and only on what I want.

·
Vendor
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I get 4 or 5 calls a year requesting the same thing with people willing to work for free. Others want to watch and learn while their air filter is replace. As for the ones wanting to learn while their air filter is replace, I tell them I don't take waiter. Bring it in the morning and pick it up in the after noon. I work "Island Time" ... when I want, if I want, and only on what I want. I do consider myself fortunate in being so successful doing what I like best.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts