GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda to the Rescue : Well Sort Of: A Story of Two Filters

Yesterday was to be a promising day. I got up and the temps was perfect, about 65, but cloudy, and a little windy. I had on Friday decided that I was going to do maintenance Saturday, because it might rain, and I haven't done any in a good while. So off to Wally World to get an extra filter for the Trike, and oil, also filter and oil for the lawn tractor ( way over due ) Picked up a couple of ST7317 filters for the Trike, and actually found the last bottle of Mobil 1 15/50 and tagged it. OK things are looking up.
Looking for a cross for the Kohler 25 HP mower filter was proving to be a little of a challenge though. So off to the lawn & garden section to see if they had one there,, well I will be dipped, there it was in all of its splendor, displayed with three other type filters. I picked one up and then took a look at the bar code to see how much it was. Holly cow $16.97 :eek:4: Where's the GOLD!!!!!!! Well this ain't good..... Waite just a sec! I can fix this. It is just a FILTER!!! So I takes the filter back with me to the Auto area, an set out to matching it up with a auto number. That didn't take to long to do. I found a couple that was the same size, in diameter and gasket size/thickness. I pick one out to get, and put the OEM Kohler back. Problem solved..... Finish up and head out to bigger and better things, and topped off the day (Friday), with a date at the local Tex-Mex. Looking forward to getting some things done.

So I gets up like I said, and it is great out but promising to maybe rain, and going to be a little windy. I go out to the barn and start setting up to change the oil in the mower, and why not just do the Trike too!!! I am here, and going to be doing it, so why not. BUT first the mower it will be the easiest.
I start it up and run it up the drive way a few times to get it warm, you cant just start it and let it run any more you have to be on it or it quits. Got it all warmed up and should be done with this in just a few minutes. Now bare in mind that I haven't changed the oil on this mower before, but what the heck its just a mower. The filter is a no-brainier, it is hanging off the side big as day, OK where is the drain plug ??? Well after 10 minutes of digging, and finely giving up I got out the book !! Boy that hurt to say. Humm so that is where it is, I wonder how long someone stayed up to think it should go there. Right above the main mount cross member, OK but look there is a tube fitting to put a drain hose on to keep the oil from going just every where. Well that might not be all that bad if it works, and if I can find a tube. After an extensive search of the barn I found a short piece of tube that would fit on the nipple. Next challenge to get the drain release open. A good idea, but in a real bad location. Cant get a socket straight on it and very little room for a wrench. Finely got the tube in place the drain pan situated where it will work. ( the drain pan is a totally separate story in itself ) by now the mower has cooled off, well what the heck just let it sit to drain I have time. I let it drain for about an hour while I am getting the Trike warmed up to do the same, and things situated in the garage to do that part.

Back to the mower: The oil is all drained an all I have to do is pop off the filter, and put on the new one and that's it. Hummmmh; the filter is just inset enough so that I am still going to make a royal mess to get it off. I grab a rag and break it loose and spin it off real fast and set it on the floor, hoping to just catch the LITTLE bit with the rag. WRONG:!!!!! out comes what seems to be another 3/4 of a QT of oil...:22yikes: What a mess: cleaned that up, and then put on the filter --- I thought: Now to top it all off the filter won't screw onto the motor body,,, OH Crap!!!!!:22yikes: Now I am in a Pickle!!! Then Billy Mayes pops into my head: BUT WAITE::::::: there are only two Standard fittings ( if there can be two standards ) SAE and Metric. Hold on ALL is not lost just yet, there is still a chance. A slim chance, and a really long shot that the ST-7317 will screw on. I get one of the Trike filters out and cross my fingers....... Yeah Haw!!! it screwed on and cinched up. Back in the saddle again. SAVED by Honda. Well not exactly, but if I hadn't had a Honda bike the chances of having a different size filter around would have Slim, and None - with Slim out of town.

The Honda size filter is only 1/8 inch less in diameter, and just a tad longer than the Kohler filter. So now all I have to stock or get is one size filter. After all a filter is a filter, and if it works on a 113 HP engine, a 25 HP engine will handle it. Evidently Kohler hasn't decided to make a commitment as to which standard they want to use, half of it is SAE and the other half is Metric, and the filter part in on the metric side of the family....

Now on to the Trike: NO: I will be here all day trying to type it up with out crying.... :oops::roll::evil::evil::evil: The oil change eventually did get completed, but it wasn't with out Great difficulty and trial. The short of that story is that the filter was stuck, and I had to cut it off... NO FUN AT ALL ~ PERIOD:

Some people have Bad Hair Days (Those that still have hair that is) I had a Bad Filter Day

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NOW Ya tell me :shock:, and I do tend to Gorilla some........ Not this last one..

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
George, a little red loctite on the filter threads will keep you from changing it so often - like every time you wash the bike........:doorag:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
George, a little red loctite on the filter threads will keep you from changing it so often - like every time you wash the bike........:doorag:
Harry you old Hound: Was you sittin across the road watchin :shrug: I didn't say any thing about washin, but I did...:shock::shock: :nojoke: I gave it a good old fashion spiffy deal, wheels and all..:oops: ,and even put on a good coat of Rejex :shock::shock:. Yepp the whole Enchalata.

Now I am good till I figure at least Oct on oil and washin :yes1:

And I think there must have been a good amount of either the Dreaded Red or maybe even Bobble on the threads,, I really thought I was in a Pickle there for a while, and with all of the extra room to work in and all I had a time of it, getting that bugger off.......:doorag:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hey George P.
We need pictures of your trike all clean and shined up. Let us know when you post the pictures so we can put our sunglasses on to help from the glare.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
George P. You did your good deed today. I also have a Kohler 25hp engine in my mower. I will try the Wally filter as my oil and filter is due a change...The ST7313 is a Wal-Mart number....?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I hope you cleaned up all that spilled oil. Sure wouldn't want the EPA to come looking for ya. :eek:4:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope you cleaned up all that spilled oil. Sure wouldn't want the EPA to come looking for ya. :eek:4:
Yep: and took it out to the mail box, and dumped it around the base to kill the weeds ( it's a designated safe dump site you know ) ;)

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
George P. You did your good deed today. I also have a Kohler 25hp engine in my mower. I will try the Wally filter as my oil and filter is due a change...The ST7313 is a Wal-Mart number....?

It is a ST-7317, George L. It screwed right on :yes1:. It is a little smaller but works. The filter face on the engine is flat from the post out to the edge, not like some that have flute like indentations. I would think that the capacity is close to the original, and does the same thing, but best of all it is NOT 17 bucks.....:yes1:

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Thanks, George. Yeah, 7317....

·
Registered
161 Posts
George P. Not to hijack your thread :wrong: ...but how did the rear deflector you put on your trike ever work out?? Did it help out the boss on all the wind buffetting??:coffee1:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She put her seal of approval on it during the Kerrville trip. :yes1: Now it isn't too good in a good cross wind, but then again what it,,,,,:shrug: She says that it helps keep her from coming unraveled,,,Don't know just what means, I am guessing her hair. :doorag:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts