GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone notice that the 2006 has 1/3 less in brake lights than the prior 1800’s? I was verifying what 01-05 tail lights would fit the 06’s and something looked strange when I hit the brakes with the ugly 06 light on one side and an 05 on the other. Only half the 05 light lit up. Then I noticed that only one of the red circles had a brake light. That bulb is missing its brake light wire in the harness. Is Honda trying to use this as a means of selling more spoilers? Honda claims “safety” but they remove half of the “eye level” brake light…... Six brake light bulbs (1 each bag, 2 each trunk corner) are now only 4 (1 each bag, 1 each trunk corner). I will probably order an 05 harness when I order my 05 trunk lights. The bag lights have no hope of being changed. The mount holes do not line up at all. The change in the wiring and bulb socket are rather irrelevant at this point. It will not be worth buying bags, harness, and lights plus painting if you do not have white or black.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Brake lights

While that may be true, having been behind an 06 during the day and night, the brake lights are more than adequate. I know that some want more as in the spoiler light, but I'm fine with the way it is. The bottom line is if someone doesn't see these brake lights they weren't paying attention anyway, doubt if two more bulbs would help, but that is just my .02 cents.
Ride safe, but keep riding.
Dennis

·
Registered
240 Posts
DDL said:
Did anyone notice that the 2006 has 1/3 less in brake lights than the prior 1800’s? I was verifying what 01-05 tail lights would fit the 06’s and something looked strange when I hit the brakes with the ugly 06 light on one side and an 05 on the other. Only half the 05 light lit up. Then I noticed that only one of the red circles had a brake light. That bulb is missing its brake light wire in the harness. Is Honda trying to use this as a means of selling more spoilers? Honda claims “safety” but they remove half of the “eye level” brake light…... Six brake light bulbs (1 each bag, 2 each trunk corner) are now only 4 (1 each bag, 1 each trunk corner). I will probably order an 05 harness when I order my 05 trunk lights. The bag lights have no hope of being changed. The mount holes do not line up at all. The change in the wiring and bulb socket are rather irrelevant at this point. It will not be worth buying bags, harness, and lights plus painting if you do not have white or black.
Not sure if you have something wrong, but both lights in either side of the trunk light up on my 06.

Just looking at the 06 trunk, I would think that the earlier model lights will not fit. The saddle bag lights may be different

·
Registered
911 Posts
Re: Brake lights

Molinoman said:
having been behind an 06 during the day and night, the brake lights are more than adequate. The bottom line is if someone doesn't see these brake lights they weren't paying attention anyway, doubt if two more bulbs would help, but that is just my .02 cents.
Dennis
I have an 06 and agree with Molinoman !!!...ride safe...

Scott

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Globetrotter said:
Not sure if you have something wrong, but both lights in either side of the trunk light up on my 06.

Just looking at the 06 trunk, I would think that the earlier model lights will not fit. The saddle bag lights may be different

It is very hard for a bulb to light if there is no wire attached..... One of the two bulbs only has tail light and ground wires. Only one circle on each side will light up for brakes as the other will be dimmer as a tail light only. I added a brake light wire to the empty hole so all four red circles will light as brakes. The 05 light assemblies fit perfectly in the 06 trunk (as I barrowed a set from an 05). I am not sure why you would think that they would not fit as the overall shape is the same. The outer shape of the bag lights are also the same, but the mounting holes are very different.

·
Registered
911 Posts
One of the changes Honda mentions in their Goldwing brochure is...
"new styling at the rear, including clear lenses on turn signals and running lights, and a new brake light pattern for increased visiblity....

ride safe....

Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts