GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '09 ABS has that semi-useful Honda TPMS factory system on it, and a question just occurred to me.
I had picked up a spare rear rim so that I can do a quick change when needed, and was just waiting for slightly cooler weather to test out my tire mounting skilz. But, when seeing a thread on TPMS, it suddenly occurred to me that the rim is unlikely to have the TPMS module in/on it. What happens to the TPMS system if only one wheel has a module ... am I going to have lights annoying me?
If I did get a new module to put into the spare ... what needs to be done to "match" it with the 'reader'?

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Yes your lite will come when you change wheels. I put my C/T on and put a peice of black tape over the lite:thumbup:

Dont know if you can program a extra sensor. Might ask your dealer if they can.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
The light that will stay on solid is the TPMS light, not the low pressure light.

You can install a jumper so that only this light will be deactivated. So you will not be alerted to any system errors, but you will still get the low pressure light if your front tire goes low, or when you have the rear on with the sensor.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
This has certainly been addressed here before. I'm sure a search would get you plenty of hits.

Without a TPMS sensor in the wheel, when you mount the spare rim, the "TPMS" light will illuminate after a few minutes of not getting a response from the rear wheel. That light will remain illuminated until you satisfy the onboard TPMS "brain".

You could have a spare sensor installed in your spare rim. If that were the case, then you would need to re-register the wheel sensors with the onboard TPMS "brain" everytime you switched the wheels. The onboard TPMS "brain" can only hold two wheel sensors in its "memory" at a time (1 front and 1 rear).

You will need a special tool to accomplish the registering process. The ATEQ VT15 is the least expensive one I'm aware of and will do the job. It'll run you around $100. The process to register the wheel sensors is pretty straight forward and will take about 5-10 minutes. You'll also need a "jumper" for the TPMS diagnosis plug. That is easily made (a piece of wire and two terminals) or you can purchase one from Honda. I don't know what that costs but it is identified as the SCS connector (07WPZ-0010100) in the service manual.

You could also swap your wheel sensor from rim to rim but I would think it would be a royal PITA to do that.

If you want to silence the system and you are looking for something more than black tape stuck to your instrument panel, you can easily disable the Honda TPMS and get an aftermarket one of superior usefulness. Here's how you can do that if you wish. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273674

Happy hunting! :thumbup:

My '09 ABS has that semi-useful Honda TPMS factory system on it, and a question just occurred to me.
I had picked up a spare rear rim so that I can do a quick change when needed, and was just waiting for slightly cooler weather to test out my tire mounting skilz. But, when seeing a thread on TPMS, it suddenly occurred to me that the rim is unlikely to have the TPMS module in/on it. What happens to the TPMS system if only one wheel has a module ... am I going to have lights annoying me?
If I did get a new module to put into the spare ... what needs to be done to "match" it with the 'reader'?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Got a question...this TPS does it have some sort of battery in it...??? And if so....lets say a rim has a tire on it...or not...will it keep sending a low pressure signal till the battery in it is dead....?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys. I'll think on it and decide if I want to buy/install/program a new module ... or just replace tires as required.

Good info ... much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
The wheel sensors are battery operated. However after about 6 minutes of being still, the sensors go into "parked" mode which apparently stops their transmissions and preserves battery life.

The wheel sensors "wake up" after the bike gets above 6mph (or somewhere around that speed).

Got a question...this TPS does it have some sort of battery in it...??? And if so....lets say a rim has a tire on it...or not...will it keep sending a low pressure signal till the battery in it is dead....?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Well DOH !!!

I just purchased a brand-new trike take-off rear wheel and tire. It has the TPMS setup.

My 2010 also has TPMS - which is why I bought this particular wheel n tire. I thought I could just switch out the rear wheel and not have to mess with re-programming the darned thing.

I suppose there's no other way around it?

·
Registered
70 Posts
A battery?

I never really thought about it, but now that I am aware that there is a battery in the wheel for the TPMS sensor, how long does it last and should it be changed at every tire change interval?

Man, sometimes all of this electronic stuff is more trouble than it's worth...

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Well DOH !!!

I just purchased a brand-new trike take-off rear wheel and tire. It has the TPMS setup.

My 2010 also has TPMS - which is why I bought this particular wheel n tire. I thought I could just switch out the rear wheel and not have to mess with re-programming the darned thing.

I suppose there's no other way around it?
Only way around it is to swap the wheel sensor between the rims. That is more of a PITA than the registering steps although you wouldn't need the $100 tool. I'm sure the local Honda dealer would re-register your sensor for a fee. My dealership said they would do it for free if they changed the tires with the wheels on the bike but that gets pricey.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I never really thought about it, but now that I am aware that there is a battery in the wheel for the TPMS sensor, how long does it last and should it be changed at every tire change interval?

Man, sometimes all of this electronic stuff is more trouble than it's worth...
The wheel sensors go into a "park" mode when no motion occurs after 6 or so minutes. The sensor batteries should last for years. Oh and you can't just replace the sensor batteries. They are soldered into the sensors so you really need to replace the sensors when the battery goes....unless you want to try and open the sensors, unsolder the battery, find a replacement, solder in a new battery, and reinstall.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I picked up two new wheels off an 09 that included the TPMS sensors in them and then bought a programmer tool for about $100. This lets me swap wheels and tires for spares anytime I need to and my TPMS still works like it should.
Fred, what is the tool called and where would I purchase one? Thanks

·
Vendor
22,221 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
All. Thanks for the great help so far. All of the posts have been very helpful. I purchased the tool and the jumper. I am now ready to register the rear sensor. I, like many of you, purchased a extra rear tire and wheel. I have the shop manual, and it says you must register the sensors in order, front first, then rear. That makes no sense because the system won't let you know which tire is low. Non-the-less, does that mean I need to perform the registration on the front (didn't mess with that one), or can I go directly to the rear? Second, I've read in these posts that I need to up my tire pressure to >51 psi. However the manual doesn't mention that unless you are installing a new sensor. This sensor has already been initially registered. Thanks for all your help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts