GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year after considerable effort, I was able to make Trip Planner work. I hadn't used it since last fall, but now this spring I want to create some new routes to load into the bike. I planned the route, saved it, and exported it (It's sent to DOWNLOADS on my computer). From Downloads, I copy the route into the GPX folder inside the Garmin​ folder on the card. I then check to make sure it's in there. I then put the card back in the bike and turn on the navi. Nothing happens. I do not get the message that there are routes to be imported. I thought maybe the card was bad, so I formatted it and created a new Garmin folder with a GPX folder inside it. Tried it in the bike again, still didn't work. Bought a new 4G SD card, formatted it, created the folders as before, tried it in the bike and got nothing again! I'm obviously getting pretty frustrated. And to top it off sometimes when I try to export the route I get a "Server Error in 'I' Application" "The resource cannot be found." message, and I have to start all over again. I kind of feel like that guy on the Lowe's commercial on TV! Is Trip Planner not working right? Is there something wrong with what I'm doing or with my computer? Is there something wrong with the NAVI on the bike (it's a 2012 with navi)? Do I need to contact Honda, Garmin, or my dealer? I haven't tried a different route planner. The only other one I am familiar with is Google Maps, and I don't think you can use it to download maps into the route card. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
957 Posts
I am experiencing the same problems Bob, and am pretty disgusted with the Honda system. I'm beginning to think an external GPS is the way to go.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Recommend you try Garmin BaseCamp. It's free, relatively easy to learn, and when you download new maps they can also update the series on your PC.

When planning routes, you can also use Google Earth to view satellite images.

http://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp
:agree:
Just drag and drop waypoints and routes from your BaseCamp lists directly onto the SD card. My 2012 hasn't had any trouble importing the files sent from BaseCamp.

·
Registered
135 Posts
How did you load the map onto basecamp?
I update the BaseCamp maps when I update my Garmin Nuvi units. If you don't have any other Garmin units you can simply copy the SD card from your GW Nav unit onto another SD card or USB flash drive and then replace your SD card back into the bike. Then keep the copied SD card or USB flash drive inserted into the computer while using BaseCamp. Basecamp will recognize your SD card or flash drive as a legitimate Garmin device and read the maps from that card while you use BaseCamp.

·
Registered
957 Posts
basecamp

The link took me to Garmins product site, and what I see is just a mobile app for a phone.

Just out of curiosity, I used my Garmin Mapsouce software, which is an NT base program for one of my portable units, mapped out a route, then selected "send to device", and put it into my SD card. Low and behold, the bike recognized it, and it is in my bike GPS. YAHOOOO!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Basecamp trip planning

Hi, I've been using Garmin GPS units since they alunched the Street Pilot 3 many years ago. Mapsource was a great piece of software but Basecamp is much better and once you learn how to use it its real easy.
Heres a clip of a trip to France and Switzerland that we're starting next week, each riding day has its own route, all the hotels are stored as waypoints, routes use the roads we want to ride, its brill.

I did try the Honda Trip Planner but I thought it was junk !! :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I use google maps

Create your route, drag or add stops, how ever you want to do one

select the full URL of the route and copy.

Then go here; http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input?convert_format=gpx

Where it says; Or provide the URL of a file on the Web enter in the url

Select the + where it says advance options, show advance options

select merge all tracks yes,

Safe file.
load on bike.
Go ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Used GL1800 2012

I would uninstall BaseCamp using your control panel then delete the C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\BaseCamp folder. Then re-install BaseCamp.
I bought a used GL1800 and did not get the Navi manual or any software from previous owner. I read this thread and I downloaded Garmin Base Camp but it seems to need some maps purchased. Just curious if I can pull maps out of my wing to work with the software or if I need to purchase their maps on line. Anybody know?

Using the Navi system has been pretty straight forward but I would like to experiment with trip planning and loading routes from a flash drive.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Darmie-

You said you use Google Maps and then choose full URL and copy. How do you do that? I don't see anything on the Google Maps screen for full url or copy. Can you explain to me where that is or how to get to full url?

Thanks-

·
Registered
135 Posts
I bought a used GL1800 and did not get the Navi manual or any software from previous owner. I read this thread and I downloaded Garmin Base Camp but it seems to need some maps purchased. Just curious if I can pull maps out of my wing to work with the software or if I need to purchase their maps on line. Anybody know?

Using the Navi system has been pretty straight forward but I would like to experiment with trip planning and loading routes from a flash drive.
What year is your wing? If your bike uses SD cards for the maps you can simply copy the (lower) SD card from your GW Nav unit onto another SD card or USB flash drive and then replace your SD card back into the bike. Then keep the copied SD card or USB flash drive inserted into the computer while using BaseCamp. Basecamp will recognize your SD card or flash drive as a legitimate Garmin device and read the maps from that card while you use BaseCamp. The only problem is that you will be using whichever map version your wing is currently running and not necessarily the latest maps from Garmin..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts