GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, I decided to ride take a ride this past weekend and used Honda Trip Planner. Here is the issue I ran into. I had one way point identified along with the final destination. I selected "avoid highways" for the first segment. I then created the second segment and deselected "Avoid Highways" and the whole trip changed to allowing highways. Anyone know of a way to switch options for "avoiding highways" by segment?

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
I'd try leaving avoid highways selected and then put an intermediate point or 2 on the highway you want to ride.

Plan 'B' would be to make to routes...

And you might find that you need to select 'avoid highways' on the bike rather than just on the planner. I believe the 'preferences/avoidances' settings on the bike will override what was used in trip planner to test the route.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd try leaving avoid highways selected and then put an intermediate point or 2 on the highway you want to ride.

Plan 'B' would be to make to routes...

And you might find that you need to select 'avoid highways' on the bike rather than just on the planner. I believe the 'preferences/avoidances' settings on the bike will override what was used in trip planner to test the route.

Thanks, Farmguy. Yep, the bike preferences seem to override the planner. To use both highway and secondaries, I guess I'll just have to add additional way-points. Good thing they updated the Nav software to accommodate more than 8! --Ralph

·
Registered
14 Posts
I found (through this forum) that google maps on a computer and converting the trip to gpx format works great. Google waypoints are a snap to add.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
are you having issues placing the way points in the Honda software?

·
Vendor
22,069 Posts
I found (through this forum) that google maps on a computer and converting the trip to gpx format works great. Google waypoints are a snap to add.

What program are you using to convert Google Maps to a GPX file?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Routing preferences

Thanks, Farmguy. Yep, the bike preferences seem to override the planner. To use both highway and secondaries, I guess I'll just have to add additional way-points. Good thing they updated the Nav software to accommodate more than 8! --Ralph
Please be aware that when you are transferring routes to a GPS, you only transfer way points, you do not transfer a route. The route will be generated by the GPS following its routing preferences. The people that do Basecamp really heavily recommend turning off avoidances on the GPS and adding enough waypoints to get the route you want. I'd think that principle would be even more applicable for those that are not using Basecamp for their Garmin route planning since they have a completely different routing engine in the planner and in the GPS. The Basecamp gurus even recommend allowing unpaved roads in the GPS and planner because the map data is really bad as to whether a road is paved or not.

When I am importing Google routes into Basecamp, I actually import the track from GPSVisualizer and then recreate the route with shaping points rather than trying to convert the track to a route. I then overlay the track and the route in Basecamp to make sure they go on the same roads. One relatively complex route I imported from Google required about 50 shaping points to keep the routes on the same road. The end result worked fine when I rode it, but it was a challenge to create. BTW: In Garmin lingo, the only difference between a way point and a shaping point is the GPS is more willing to miss a shaping point but is pretty insistent on going to each way point. Basecamp actually keeps track of which points are way points and which are shaping points and sends that info to the GPS.

If I'm doing more ad hoc routing, I get an idea of where I want to go with Google Maps on my iPad and then I put the cities or other desired location in the Garmin. If I have put in a general location like a city, when I get close, I tell the GPS to skip it and go to the next. If I have entered a place I want to actually stop at or at least go right past, I let the GPS traverse the route normally.

·
Registered
413 Posts
...adding enough waypoints to get the route you want.
I have been converting routes from computer to phone nav and so on for a long time. The above point is the key to making it work. Each system calculates routes differently, has different opinions about what is the best road between to points.

You have to create as many waypoints as you can to force it to think like you do, rather than how it was programmed to think.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been converting routes from computer to phone nav and so on for a long time. The above point is the key to making it work. Each system calculates routes differently, has different opinions about what is the best road between to points.

You have to create as many waypoints as you can to force it to think like you do, rather than how it was programmed to think.

Yep, that's what I'm finding. --Ralph

Reactions: networkguy3

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
I like to work backwards from the destination.

Keep moving the intermediate points further away from destination til the route deviates from the desired one.
After some practice, it gets easier to predict the intermediates that will be necessary.

And yes, I get caught sometimes when the mobile gps (either the current one, or the one on the '14's or the Zumo used before that, or the Garmin 2730 used before that) doesn't route exactly the same as the route on the computer.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just used mapstogps yesterday. It’s simple and does what it claims. I’ve only transferred the file into BaseCamp and then the 595. Now if it transfers to the Honda system...that would be sweet. I’ll try that in the next few days.

I previously used GPS Visualizer but was unable to access their website yesterday for some reason.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I just used mapstogps yesterday. It’s simple and does what it claims. I’ve only transferred the file into BaseCamp and then the 595. Now if it transfers to the Honda system...that would be sweet. I’ll try that in the next few days.

I previously used GPS Visualizer but was unable to access their website yesterday for some reason.
maps2gps doesnt work on the new WIng's GPS. It ignores all the intermediate points and takes you straight to the final destination. When I have some time I'm going to try and figure out if there i an easy fix with a text editor.

Reactions: DenMan46

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
as per someone's recommendation I started using Kurviger. getting it to stay on highways is difficult. its def a motorcycle route based trip planner. its as easy to use as google maps, can choose a point and see it on google maps, which you can then use the satellite view to see the area. ive plotted several courses with it, around my home area using multiple points that take me WAY out of the way to get to the finishing point which was located a block from the starting point. instead of guiding me the shortest route it actually followed all the waypoints. it saves as a GPX file on my computer then gets transferred to the usb and installed in the bike. very simple and it has worked. ive planned an upcoming trip with one leg having almost 50 waypoints and they all show up on the honda screen. we'll see in a few days how it pans out.

·
Registered
198 Posts
as per someone's recommendation I started using Kurviger.

getting it to stay on highways is difficult. its def a motorcycle route based trip planner. its as easy to use as google maps, can choose a point and see it on google maps, which you can then use the satellite view to see the area. ive plotted several courses with it, around my home area using multiple points that take me WAY out of the way to get to the finishing point which was located a block from the starting point. instead of guiding me the shortest route it actually followed all the waypoints. it saves as a GPX file on my computer then gets transferred to the usb and installed in the bike. very simple and it has worked. ive planned an upcoming trip with one leg having almost 50 waypoints and they all show up on the honda screen. we'll see in a few days how it pans out.

Watching.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I use mapstogpx. Just paste the google map URL
So I gave this a try, and found out I had to change the preferences to "Waypoints" instead of tracks, before I generated the file. I then opened the file with Tyre, and it looks like it creates the route just fine.

I've been using Tyre and saving as a gpx file, and the NAV on the bike accepts the file without any issues. Looks like this will create the route quicker.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts