GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
This may help

I've found that Mozilla Firefox will provide a smooth operating experience for the following steps:
Go to http://tripplanner.honda.com/
Click "Sign In"
Click "Plan A Trip"
Enter the name of a starting point, typically a nearby city or highway intersection; for security purposes, do not enter your residence address. For example, enter "Anoka MN" followed by <enter>.
Allow the application to load to Plan A Trip start page
Add the first anticipated stop. For example, enter "Madison WI" followed by <enter>.
Click on the "Driving Directions" tab to review the route description and the accompanying map
Click "Save Trip"
Enter a label name for the trip then click the red Save Trip button.
Click "Export to GPS"
(This is where it appears to de-rail, there is no ability to name the file or any evidence that it has in fact saved the GPX file anywhere in the universe. Each time you click Export to GPS, the app indeed saves the file. Look for it in your "Downloads" folder. You'll probably find exports there from earlier visits or uses of the tool. Each file has the name "tripplanner(N).GPX" where N represents an incrementing number.)
Now you know where the App stashes the Export, all you need to do is insert your storage card into the computer and allow it to mount.
Press and Hold the Windows Key (the one with the Windows Logo, left of the Space bar) and press the "E" key once to open Windows Explorer. You'll see the heirarchical tree of the folders stored on the computer, including the storage card from the Wing.
Navigate to the Downloads folder and Right click on the file name for the trip you want to transfer to the bike. Select the ReName option. Rename the file to something that makes sense to you to differentiate it from any other trip, i.e., for example, "Anoka TO Madison.GPX" Click off the file name to complete the renaming.
Right click on the file again, select the "Copy" option, then navigate to the storage disc folder. Once there, locate the Garmin folder and Right click on the folder to highlight it. Select the "Paste" option to complete the copy of the new trip GPX file to the storage card.
Repeat the operation as many times as needed to transfer all of the trips you've created and saved to the storage disc card.
When your done, Right click on the storage card folder and select the "Eject" option to safely disconnect the card; remove the card and re-install in the Wing GPS upper drive slot (the one without the rubber cover).
Start the Navigation system on the Wing. It will automatically recognize that you have new trips to upload. Select all or individual trips to import, following the prompts.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Bruce Smith

·
Registered
7 Posts
How do you transfer trips from Honda Trip Planner to Navi Card from Mac?

I am soooo Frustrated. I am trying to custom plan some routes for an upcoming trip and cannot figure out how to transfer them from Trip planner to my Navi card using my Mac. Anyone help!!!!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Will your MAc allow you to save the tripplaner file to your mac as a (trip.gpx) file?

If so take the SD card from the wing top slot and put that in a SD card holder (usb) plug that into your MAC and move the (Trip.gpx) file to the sd card - remove the USB from the mac take the sd card and reinstall it in the top slot of the wing gps and turn on the gps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wish it was that simple

That is exactly what I tried to do. Everytime I clicked or double clicked or right clicked, it opens basecamp and says it is not a valid file. I hate computers. why cant it say, in english what is wrong? Very frustrating.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
That is exactly what I tried to do. Everytime I clicked or double clicked or right clicked, it opens basecamp and says it is not a valid file. I hate computers. why cant it say, in english what is wrong? Very frustrating.
The reason is Basecamp and the Honda tripplanner are not compatabilty -

·
Registered
939 Posts
Mine will not read from Sd card after downloaded

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
make sure it is initially saved as a .gpx file or double check after down load and change to gpx

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mine will not read from Sd card after downloaded

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I ran into the same issue. I went back and begrudgingly read the instructions ;-)

You must first save a route from your motorcycle Nav to the SD card in order for it to create the necessary Garmin folder on the card. Doesn't matter what type of route. Just put in a quick route to McDonalds or something and then save it to the SD card. Once is stated the save is complete, then turn off your bike, remove the SD and install it in your PC. Copy the route you created and saved on your PC to the Garmin folder on the SD card. Then go put it back in your bike and it will be available to import to bike Nav.

Kind Regards,
Lou

·
Registered
106 Posts
Brain Fart

Wow!!!! I just realized I replied to an old post:surprise:

I'm sure he's got the issue resolved by now:grin2:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Honda ride planner is the reason I have Mapsource & Basecamp, Harley ride planner is the same crap, Internet Exp. w/not let me transfer a ride to my device, so I swiched to firefox.
It worked for a while then stopped, no problem's w/ basecamp or mapsource...

·
Registered
699 Posts
I ran into the same issue. I went back and begrudgingly read the instructions ;-)

You must first save a route from your motorcycle Nav to the SD card in order for it to create the necessary Garmin folder on the card. Doesn't matter what type of route. Just put in a quick route to McDonalds or something and then save it to the SD card. Once is stated the save is complete, then turn off your bike, remove the SD and install it in your PC. Copy the route you created and saved on your PC to the Garmin folder on the SD card. Then go put it back in your bike and it will be available to import to bike Nav.

Kind Regards,
Lou
Old post I know but it reminded me of something that I had failed to do. I had a thread on here about the same issue and could not figure out why I couldn't get my Navi to "see" the GPX files on my SD card. So I did just what you said and BAM, the Navi now recognizes the new routes I want to import. Thanks very much!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts