GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a decent ride up to and around the Nicola Valley yesterday. Plenty of sunshine, very little traffic. I put my route into Honda trip planner and exported my .gpx file and imported the file into my newly updated Honda GPS.

All good so far.

I left home and rolled half a mile up the road to get fuel. Just after fill up I pressed “GO” on the GPS and hit the highway to start the route. To my surprise the GPS wanted me to circle back to my trip planner start point - which was my home address. Eventually I had to stop and shut it down then I entered the trip right on the bike as a new trip and that worked ok. Luckily I know the my territory reasonably well and don’t need to rely on a GPS but I’m still playing…er…experimenting with all the “features” aka bells and whistles on the bike.

I thought that the unit would recalculate forward, but no, it kept recalculating ways to go backward to home. Honda’s GPS has properly recalculated changes in routing for me when I’ve entered destinations on the bike while en route.

I’d like to benefit from all those that have experience with Honda Trip Planner. Is this a trip planner issue or a Honda GPS software / firmware issue? Or both?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Common on all trip planners when converted to the bike. If you put your starting point at the very beginning and it is not right where you are parked the GPS will do exactly what you told it to do. It will route you to the starting point.

Put your starting point a few blocks down the road. Or cancel the starting point after you take off.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
and MAKE SURE YOU HIT EVERY WAYPOINT. they can be deleted on the fly, one at a time but to delete multiples you have to pull over. The Honda trip planner is a PITA.if you want to go that route, use the harley trip planner. same gpx files but more user friendly.

·
Vendor
21,760 Posts
I was hoping this latest update from Honda would fix the missed waypoint issue and also let you start in the middle of the route, but unfortunately the problem remains. This is my single biggest gripe with the built in Nav system.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I live in Vancouver but also went to the Nicloa Valley Monday by way of Hope, Princeton, Penticton and back through Lillloet, Whistler.

I gave up trying to delete waypoints etc so have a simple solution: We are tempted to Trip Plan Start from Home but I use Home just as an end point. Because I like to start with a full tank, clean screen etc I ride to one of 3 gas stations at the beginning of my trip. Those are my possible start points so the Nav route is warmed up and happy. I actually created 3 templates in Trip Planner, one South one West, one North and the Start point is already listed as Chevron or Esso.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
If you want to clear a point ---
With nav screen displayed:
  • press home to get menu bar at bottom'
  • move cursor to 'clear waypoint' and ENT to select
  • highlight the point to delete and ENT
  • select Yes to confirm
  • Go
If desired, the method can be used to delete a point other than the one that it is currently routing to.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi Jack, I know my suggestion won't help you with your issue but Honda's Nav system has been PITA from day one and believe me I feel your pain. My suggestion has worked for me ever since I bought a 2013 with Nav, and a Zumo motorcycle GPS while using Garmin's basecamp trip planner. Some will say Zumo's are expensive or basecamp has it's issues as well, which is all true. However if you can get a Zumo GPS, the combination of it and your stock bike GPS and using basecamp works great for me. I have ridden across Canada to Newfoundland, down to Boston and then all the way home to Vancouver using my Zumo 550 which I used basecamp to program each day's ride and never once needed to fix a route issue. What was really helpful was I set my Zumo to 200 feet view and my wing's GPS to 5 kilometres. This set up showed my close up view from my Zumo and a bigger wider view of the road from the wing's GPS. I recently upgraded my Zumo to Garmin's newest Zumo 595. BTW older Zumo's are on eBay all the time and very reasonable. Here's hoping you and everyone else figure out your wing's GPS so you don't have these very annoying issues. The New England Wing Riders have made a great tutorial on how basecamp works, so Google them to help use basecamp. To end, the argument that you have spent big money on your Wing and the GPS should work and be easy to use is true, however Honda has known it's issues and have not fixed them. Good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@ The Cat Slaves

Thanks for the feedback and good ideas. I have used Garmin's Zumo 660 and 595LM on previous bikes. The Zumo's are a little over rated and have issues of their own for sure. BUT I was able to manage routes and tracks fine.
Until Honda sorts their demons out we have Apple and Google devices to fill the gap when required.

Hmmmm....I see a business opportunity for Honda to bake in an Android [or alternately] powered GPS with support from Google maps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts