GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the Honda Marine voltmeter and have a few questions on wiring.

The instructions say to:

- wire the + to the "ignition terminal". Can I connect it directly to the + terminal of the battery?

- the "ground" terminal should go to the ground block. Can this be wired to the negative terminal of the "accessory" outlet in the fuse box?

- the "blade terminal" (light) should be wired into the "lighting circuit". Can this be wired to the positive terminal of the "accessory outlet in the fuse box?

By wiring it directly to the battery it is designed to show battery voltage and alternator output when switched/running.

I'm planning on installing it below the headlight adjuster and pre-load buttons as I have the factory Navi on the right side.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Don't you have a plug in on your left side corner? If you take out your left pocket, that's a plug a play voltmeter, you don't want to start cutting and splicing, you'll always run into problems down the road!!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I wired my volt meter directly to my accessory tap on the fuse panel. That way it only operates when the key is on. Others have wired it to the left pocket 12v accessory wire also. If you have the standard accessory connector on a wiring harness that came with your meter, then you are good to go.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
FYI, "Chrome World" and also "Electrical Connection" sell a wiring harness that makes the volt meter "plug & Play"

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The voltmeter came directly from Honda and didn't contain any wiring, just nuts and washer. It is a replacement unit, I assume, and intended to utilize the boat's existing wiring. Trust me, I will not be doing any splicing.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I didn't think honda would sell one of those to a motorcyclist that's why you don't have plug and play Call lewis at E/C i'm sure he can take care of you, you have to call him anyways for connectors, he can rewire it for you every fair man.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts