GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Board, Help wanted. I just installed the Honda CB, Honda antenna and

Honda passanger volume control. Now she can just barely hear.

Volume control works but is not loud enough to be useable.

Where should I look? What do I look for? I have a VOM but only

know how to turn it on. :oops:

And every thing works, CB, I-Com, AM/FM and Nav.

Thank you for your replies.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
galewing,

Gotta be the volume control. Just unplug it and plug the cables back together without the volume control to test again.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Gotta be the volume control. Just unplug it and plug the cables back together without the volume control to test again.
:thumbup:

Although I dont have one, from what I've read on here in many many threads, the passenger vol control is likely the fly in the ointment. Apparently, not all vol controls are created equal. Anyone I know who doesn't have a passenger vol control has no problems whatsoever..., many who do have all sorts of volume problems. Maybe someone can contribute which ones actually work properly. In the meantime, take the one you have out of the equation.

-

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
There is a guy that makes the best Volume controls for a 1800 he is on e-bay , and has over 2000 100% sales I tried a lot before I was happy his are the best , do a search for smoman71 , on e-bay if none listed send a mail to him he makes them himself there excellent .let me know if you have trouble

here I went on and found a link for you
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GL1800-Passenger-Audio-Controller-GL-1800_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a570Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3911Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem130287731140QQitemZ130287731140QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

The Honda, J&m , and a few others are junk I tried them

·
Registered
83 Posts
galewing,

Hi Bill,

I know you are and expert and I woulld like to ask you if you know the value of the potentiometer that is needed for proper volume control??

I bought one from Honda and I am not satisfied with it, I am planning to replace the pot to fix my problem.

Many thanks

Hermann

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Hermann,

It's a 1K, audio taper. It requires 2 of them on the same shaft. They're not easily available. There is a mod posted on the internet of the pot being replaced using the part # of a linear taper. Folks say that it work. i'm sure that it's a bit of a compromise, but still an improvement of the stock unit. I'm sorry that I don't have a link to the post but if you find it you'll have the part #.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Back when she used to ride with me, my wife and I each had one of these. We turned the volume all the way up on the radio and then each of us could turn it down to the volume we desired. Not the most sophisticated, but it worked very well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hermann,

Here's a link to the directions for modifying the Honda Passenger Controler.

http://www.intergate.com/~brianb/bike/GL1800_Pass_Control.htm

Thanks Bill for the info and thanks Ray for the link.

This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for, I am certain I can locally find one of those pot, modify the control and make it useable for my passenger (wife).

I appreciate your help,

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hermann

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
The Honda, J&m , and a few others are junk I tried them
The new J&M unit works very well..........not sure how you could group this unit in with the Honda unit.
Have you tried the new J&M unit I pictured above or the old unit?
New unit (P/N "PSCR-GL18") works slick..........

I have modded the Honda passenger controller using instructions shown..........it works but what a PIA to have to make all those changes to something that should work out of the box, especially for what they charge for it.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Brian it was the older unit I tried back from 2004-2007
I tried about5 different ones , a guy on here told me about the ones on the link I posted his are just excellent my wife is very happy now
I wouldn't buy another from someone who made a junk one in the first place, (honda and J&M) it must not have been tested at all took about 10 minutes to mmake that decision
I will say that J&M makes some goos stuff and back their products well but I usually modify them to make them excellent, such as headsets putting on better speakers, it cost me about $17.00 to do this why don't they come that way?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Board, A big thank you to all who responded. Just to say,

As I was about to remove the seat; I pluged my helmet

into the rear socket and could tell "NO DIFFERENCE", front to rear.

AS I cannot put her helmet on-- I will have her test, front to rear.

Maybe, maybe, just maybe ---

Again thank you.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks Bill for the info and thanks Ray for the link.

This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for, I am certain I can locally find one of those pot, modify the control and make it useable for my passenger (wife).

I appreciate your help,

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hermann
I couldn't find the potentiometer locally so I ordered one from the states, it just arrived and I will do the mod very shortly.

I will feedback on the result as soon as the modification is done.

Thanks again
Hermann

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I'm with ddking on this one. I am one who is always tweaking the volume depending on traffic conditions. Sometimes I'd get it too low and she couldn't turn her's up enough to suit her. Ever since I installed the two controls, there's no more "CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW"

·
Registered
657 Posts
The Honda passenger volume control is absolute junk..........has been since the 1800 was introduced late in 2000.

The J&M unit works as advertised and is well worth the money. If you can still return the Honda unit and get the J&M that's the way to go IMHO.

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=PSCR-GL18&PF=32

I have this one and it works so so it will only ture volume down but allso turns mike down from corider at same time. Im deaf and wife not so not to bad but if other way around no good.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I have this one and it works so so it will only ture volume down but allso turns mike down from corider at same time. Im deaf and wife not so not to bad but if other way around no good.
Unless a mod is done to the radio itself no volume control in the world can separate the mic audio from the radio/aux audio. Your asking for the impossible.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts