GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Allballs is all Chinese manufacturer. That doesn't necessarily mean it is less quality, but chances fall heavily in that direction. Amount of work to do the forks I think I would use the Honda kit.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Went with Progressive Monotubes complete kit and I'm happy. Went with All Balls for the steering bearings and also happy. I can remove hands at any speed now (not that I do that often of course) even at the 40-30 deceleration.

Is All balls still the best bearings?

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
all balls has a fork seal kit and bearings. some of you are talking about the bearings, i think op is talking about the seals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
I have used All Balls bearings simply because I feel that tapered bearings are a better choice for steering heads, but my first choice on the fork rebuild parts would be OEM Honda.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I put the all balls kit in this time but next rebuild I will be using the honda kit. Hondas wiper seal is a better design IMHO.
It's been 12000 miles so far and no issues but I still think that hondas is better.
I also used them for the front wheel bearings and will not use them again as I had a failure on my last trip(40000 miles life).

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
In this case, cheap is better....

I have used All Balls bearings simply because I feel that tapered bearings are a better choice for steering heads.....
Tapered bearings for a big heavy bike are much better than fewer number of spheres. The contact area for supporting the weight of the front half of the bike is considerably much better. The "roller" count is greater than the "ball" count, not to mention the length of the roller is more of a contact area than the ball. Cheap rollers are still better than expensive balls in this application. In this case, if the price were reversed, I would still get rollers. Be sure you use water resistant grease on the all-balls and coat them well.

·
Premium Member
3,033 Posts
Back to your original question. I have used both on quite a few bikes and I have had better luck with the All Balls seals. The jury is still out on the bushings because I have not been back into a set of forks that I put the bushings in yet. The seals seem to last a lot longer and some of the guys I do work for wont replace the bushings until the seals start to leak.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
The "Honda OEM kit" from Wingstuff also includes new dust seals and new bottom bolts and washers. The Amazon kit doesn't include those items. That is the reason for the price difference. This has nothing to do with bearing quality dispite what other posters have jumped to. :roll:

Replacing the bolts and washers can be a good idea if you manage to mangle the bolts when removing them. The dust seals are probably less critical. I like the simplicity of the Wingstuff kit. Traxxion front-ends require an extra right bottom bolt because both bottom bolts are the same (you don't use the shorter OEM left bottom bolt with the Traxxion front-end). Just order an extra 90116-383-721 part number.

·
Banned
403 Posts
This Board has become a terrible Joke!

How does a man ask about Honda vs All Balls Fork Rebuild Kit and gets his thread Hijacked that turned into a topic about Steering head bearings?? :eek:4: :wrong:

He even gave you two links that describes what he is asking about?:nojoke:

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Tapered bearings for a big heavy bike are much better than fewer number of spheres. The contact area for supporting the weight of the front half of the bike is considerably much better. The "roller" count is greater than the "ball" count, not to mention the length of the roller is more of a contact area than the ball. Cheap rollers are still better than expensive balls in this application. In this case, if the price were reversed, I would still get rollers. Be sure you use water resistant grease on the all-balls and coat them well.
Absolutely agree. I don't remember the source when I did mine, but I do remember that I found a kit that specifically had "Timken" roller bearings, because that's all I would use or recommend.

·
Registered
17,392 Posts
Agree with Sunny. The OP is asking about fork rebuild parts, NOT stem bearings. I use OE, but the seals from ALL BALLs have their supporters too.

prs

·
Registered
17,392 Posts
Absolutely agree. I don't remember the source when I did mine, but I do remember that I found a kit that specifically had "Timken" roller bearings, because that's all I would use or recommend.
Net time you are "in there", please write down the bearing number from the Timkens.

prs

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
How does a man ask about Honda vs All Balls Fork Rebuild Kit and gets his thread Hijacked that turned into a topic about Steering head bearings?? :eek:4: :wrong:

He even gave you two links that describes what he is asking about?:nojoke:
So sorry, Your Majesty.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts