GL1800Riders Forums banner

Is Honda Listening and will they Fix this GPS?

• They are reading these posts and working on a fix for the problem

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • It's yours now, sorry about your luck.

Votes: 63 80.8%
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HONDA, Your GPS is TERRIBLE!! Fix It!!!-- Honda Called

After coming back from a 1300 mile trip from Michigan to PA i give up on the Honda GPS. I usually use carplay but in the mountains when you lose cell service, I needed the GPS. Can't do anything while moving? Change or delete waypoint? Look for gas station? It absolutely sucks. I used the HD boom for the last 4 years and i thought it was bad but it is light years ahead of the Honda unit. At least you could choose roads like twisty or scenic. When i wanted to switch routes, it kept trying to re route me back to the waypoint. Sometimes the clear guidance would come up and other times it was blank. Why can Harley allow use of some functions while moving but Honda has it locked down. It makes the GPS useless. Please listen Honda and make some changes.

Well Honda just called me to ask about the problems with the GPS. I followed the link that was posted in this thread and they got back to me in 1 day. The rep i spoke to said he fields multiple calls a day for these issues with the GPS. They are listening but whether they act on it, is a different story. They are blaming regulations for it being locked down, but where there's a will there is a way.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
After coming back from a 1300 mile trip from Michigan to PA i give up on the Honda GPS. I usually use carplay but in the mountains when you lose cell service, I needed the GPS. Can't do anything while moving? Change or delete waypoint? Look for gas station? It absolutely sucks. I used the HD boom for the last 4 years and i thought it was bad but it is light years ahead of the Honda unit. At least you could choose roads like twisty or scenic. When i wanted to switch routes, it kept trying to re route me back to the waypoint. Sometimes the clear guidance would come up and other times it was blank. Why can Harley allow use of some functions while moving but Honda has it locked down. It makes the GPS useless. Please listen Honda and make some changes.

Its not intuitive at all. Google and apple are much better.
Some people have hung a Garmin on the handle bars too.
It would be nice to order a new wing with the GPS delete option.:frown2:
How did the Corbin work for ya?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Meh. Plenty of threads on the subject. Some people hate it and others, like me, work within it's capabilities instead of being angry about what it can't do.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Meh. Plenty of threads on the subject. Some people hate it and others, like me, work within it's capabilities instead of being angry about what it can't do.
It's capabilities are bad! Compared to other systems they dropped the ball. It needs to have basic functions like the ability to search for a gas station while moving.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not intuitive at all. Google and apple are much better.
Some people have hung a Garmin on the handle bars too.
It would be nice to order a new wing with the GPS delete option.:frown2:
How did the Corbin work for ya?
It would be nice to see them update the system and make it work! The corbin is great for me, not so much for the wife. It sits her to high to be able to rest her arms on the armrest and that becomes an uncomfortable seating position for her.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I normally use Google in Apple Play but used the Honda GPS this weekend because I used a helmet without my Sena and the Honda GPS is junk
I couldn't agree more

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
I normally use Google in Apple Play but used the Honda GPS this weekend because I used a helmet without my Sena and the Honda GPS is junk

Get one of those cheap Bluetooth things and put it in your cubby.:smile2:
You will be able to use CarPlay..

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The Honda GPS is hated because it forces you to accommodate it and work around it, not the other way around. once you figure out what it needs, its very capable. ive used it several times with 50+ way points and off the beaten path roads. sure, things can be better, but no GPS is perfect, even the Garmin has its faults. with the use of carplay, it works as a package to provide everything you need. searches on the fly, voice commands, weather, traffic alerts, road construction, xm satellite, audio books, etc... its the whole package working together in the dash of your bike, not as a huge accessory on the handlebars. take the time to learn it. the process is simpler than base camp and garmin.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
It's capabilities are bad! Compared to other systems they dropped the ball. It needs to have basic functions like the ability to search for a gas station while moving.
If you have POIs turned on, and set at the appropriate scale, it already shows gas stations while moving. Restaurants, too.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Honda GPS is hated because it forces you to accommodate it and work around it, not the other way around. once you figure out what it needs, its very capable. ive used it several times with 50+ way points and off the beaten path roads. sure, things can be better, but no GPS is perfect, even the Garmin has its faults. with the use of carplay, it works as a package to provide everything you need. searches on the fly, voice commands, weather, traffic alerts, road construction, xm satellite, audio books, etc... its the whole package working together in the dash of your bike, not as a huge accessory on the handlebars. take the time to learn it. the process is simpler than base camp and garmin.
Not to get into a debate but I am very capable with GPS systems and have led from 4 to 20 bikes all over the country with the HD system. No GPS is perfect i agree, and all the stuff you mentioned is ok until you lose cell service. The system should be able to search a gas station without pulling off the road to do so.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have POIs turned on, and set at the appropriate scale, it already shows gas stations while moving. Restaurants, too.
When in the mountains or off the beaten trail, they don't always show up. The station might be 30 miles away and I dont think the GPS will still show waypoints at that distance, so you think there is no station close? It's a flawed system that really needs a lot of work.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My Zumo 665 is!! Been in torrential rain many, many times and is "still tick'in"...
I get the Garmin Zumo 665 is a great unit. I have read many reviews and they all sound positive. My complaint is I bought a new 2018 motorcycle that was close to 30 grand with an advertised GPS, then to have one that actually functions I need to spend another 6 or 700 dollars? If Honda does indeed monitor this board, they need a software fix sooner than later.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
...simpler than basecamp!! Ha!! Einstein's theory of Space-Time is simpler than Basecamp....and if it takes time to learn the Honda GPS, then it couldn't possibly be simpler than Garmin. If you know how to use a laptop or a cell phone you immediately know how to use Garmin.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Not to get into a debate but I am very capable with GPS systems and have led from 4 to 20 bikes all over the country with the HD system. No GPS is perfect i agree, and all the stuff you mentioned is ok until you lose cell service. The system should be able to search a gas station without pulling off the road to do so.
Im not saying youre incapable. its that this works differently than other systems....for instance, a way point is a stopping point, not a drive by point, so you have to get to it or itll reroute you to it, thinking you wanted to stop there.

ive never been in a scenario where i needed gas or a restaurant when there wasnt service for a long period of time, Ive always planned for those things. so i dont know if its available on the honda nav. theres a get around to that when planning the route though. just put a waypoint where the gas stations are. it sucks that you cant name them as gas stations but it works

so the harley system can pull up addresses and gas stations when there isnt any cell service?

POI's do display on the honda while youre riding, as long as youre zoomed in close enough.

Id be willing to bet the honda system will get better with the updates.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
...simpler than basecamp!! Ha!! Einstein's theory of Space-Time is simpler than Basecamp....and if it takes time to learn the Honda GPS, then it couldn't possibly be simpler than Garmin. If you know how to use a laptop or a cell phone you immediately know how to use Garmin.

what in the world stumps you with the honda nav? its easier than any of einstein's theories. so you admit it, lol. it takes time to learn to use basecamp. ive watched videos on youtube regarding basecamp because i was thinking i may have to go the garmin way. my way is definitely easier and quicker, especially starting out.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts