GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Motorheads. # 2 mechanic here.

Pros/cons/waste of $$$.............what do you guys say regarding the extended Honda Protection Plan offer I received in the mail today ?? 2018 DCT. Yes, I can read all about it. BUT................I would like to know from real people if Honda is BSing. Will I get "..................well............. " from Honda when actually trying to use this ?? As with ANY insurance, I don't want their answer to start out with ".....well ........... ."

Any experience out there with a Honda extended warranty ??

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,960 Posts

·
Registered
7,960 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Unless you buy it when you purchase the bike. Then price can be negotiated. Just has to show full retail on the paperwork.
Good point. It's hard to tell if the overall price would be lower or not. HOR is hard to beat. I saved thousands over 2 dealers that were local to me in Fla, so in my case the answer would have been no.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just got a letter in the mail from Honda Care. $1221.54 for 60 months of coverage after the 3 year factory warranty ends. It excludes Tires, battery, Audio and Navigation equipment and accessories or the expendable items.
I think I'll keep shopping.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It's a waste of money, imo.

Honda is fairly reliable, anyway. If something does break, I'd rather do the labor myself -- don't really care for the dealer service department.

All the parts I'd actually be concerned about are "excluded" anyway.

·
Registered
224 Posts

Honda is fairly reliable, anyway. If something does break, I'd rather do the labor myself -- don't really care for the dealer service department.

Agree Kylebr. I never buy extended warranties on anything.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was able to get the extended warranty for my 07 for $450. I had the seat replaced under the warranty, which would have cost me $750. Was worth it to me at that price. Take a good look at the exclusions and shop around for a good price then do the math.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thank you for answering my question.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ordinarily, I'd say waste of money - especially if you take dealer price...however...this is an all-new wing. Granted, Honda tests the bejeezus out of everything...but still... If you look in the right place, you should be able to get 60 mo (no roadside assist) for under $600. That money for a little peace of mind in case something large-scale fails...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Budget/financial people have a general rule about these things: If you can afford to pay for a major repair yourself, then you shouldnt buy the extended warranty. This is especially true if you buy an item known for it’s reliability. I would be more more inclined to get the extended warranty on a new BMW, or Moto Guzzi, but not a Goldwing—DCT or not. Don’t just take my word for it; do a quick Google search on the issue.

These warranties are highly profitable so that’s why manufacturers and retailers push them. Car dealers make their money on used vehicles, financing, and yes, warranties. There is very little margin on the vehicles themselves.

They even push extended warranties at Best Buy when you buy a clock radio!

That’s a long way of saying “no, I didn’t buy the extended warranty”, haha.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
It's hard to say for a bike that's only been out for 3 years what will/has gone bad in 5,6,7 or 8 years. It will help resale value if you don't keep it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Normally, I wouldn't worry about extended warranty protection on a Honda. However, as others have noted, this is a new marque for the Goldwing (AKA, "ST1800"). I bought an early 2018 DCT Tour (Red, serial number below 300), and figured the peace of mind was worth the extra cash. Worked with my selling dealer and got the deal for less than $600. I'm happy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts