GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I plug my 12 volt air compressor into the socket, it blows the fuse. The compressor is brand new, & it works fine in my truck's cig. lighter. The original fuse was a 3amp. I put a 5amp in it, & it still blows. The question is, what's the highest amp fuse I can use, without causing any problems? The cell phone charger, & radar detector work fine as is. I guess the compressor just takes a lot more amps to operate. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I sure don't want to burn nothing up, because I put too big of fuse in it.

http://www.angelfire.com/in4/wingnut

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I don't know anything about your compressor but I am willing to go out on a limb here a say that I am pretty sure that it pulls a steady 8 to 10 amps or more when under a load. Your suspicions seem to be correct.

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
Have heard those little compressors require 10 amps. Save yourself serious trouble by useing only the Honda recommended fuse. Many cut off the plug and install aligator clips so it can be hooked direct to the battery when needed, just make sure the wires are hooked up to turn the compressor in the rite direction, +to+ and -to-.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had the same problem with my portable CB plug-in. Turns out it was a bit loose in the socket and when I hit a bump it blew a fuse. Replaced the 12 volt cord I was using and problem solved.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I'd be careful...

...I plug my compressor into that socket and have never had it blow a fuse, so I'd be a little careful about putting in a larger fuse.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Re: I'd be careful...

wingnutzz said:
...I plug my compressor into that socket and have never had it blow a fuse, so I'd be a little careful about putting in a larger fuse.
Same here. I've never had a problem using my compressor in the aux power socket, and I use it all the time to keep the tires up to snuff.
I don't know off hand exactly what model I have, but it's one of those from Walmart with the built in dial guage in the top of it.
(No, I don't trust that guage) :?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Question is what aux outlet, the front pockets, or the trunk. I would be scared to fuse up a OEM wire harness. Big $$$ when it burns. If you use a battery tender, it comes with a cable to hook up to the battery. Just get another matching plug and wire to the compressor, or wire it to an aux cigarette outlet. Then you can plug any automoble adapter into it, and it will be fused too.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I was wondering if I would blow a fuse or something.....

but when I installed the 12v plug for the trunk from EC. I took the little compressor out and blow up 4 flat tires for a friend of mine. No problems then. Not sure what is causing the fuse to blow, but do you have it on the right circuit or fuse? just curious thought here.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Ditto on burning the fuse.

I installed a two pin Radio Shack trailer/Gerbing/universal connector, like most use for any of the above hook-ups directly to the battery with a 5 amp inline fuse. My compressor blew it immediately so I installed a 15 amp fuse and have had no problems.

I used to have the plug available at the rear of the passenger seat, but I moved it into the trunk to keep it dry, and so no one would think that I used electric clothing. The trunk is a very versatile location for everything except such clothing.

The other items that I plug into the two pin connector are: the Battery tender (in fact I think this is their standard connector too), the cell phone charger, a hand held CB, and I may use it for the XM tuner that I haven't yet decided to install.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts