GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased and installed the Hondaline chrome scuff covers that go just above the pass-foot rest. At my surprise they are stick on, not screw on like Show Chrome. That being said, the left side is loose and will not adhere to the factory grey cover. But the right side is okay. Both sides received the same amount of attention, and same procedure in applying them. I'm sure that it will catch wind and fall off. My question is, should I use a silicone adhesive, or send it back and request a new one. I have always had good luck with Honda accessories until now. Anyone here had these, and if so, what's your opinion ??

Thanks.....

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
My left one came loose also. It was installed by the dealer when I
bought the bike. I just worked an extra piece of two sided stick em
tape under the chrome. It is still stuck after 6 months! I had to do
the same with a chrome strip on the trunk. Good luck.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,211 Posts
Seems pretty stupid to me for Honda to make those a stick on item when they could have just had the gray ones chromed. Bunch of numb nutts! :roll:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Techdude - I agree, but what governs those decisions is dollars.
Chroming these parts would be more costly, as well as eliminating
the accessory sales. The cost of these things from Honda is really
ridiculous, but again, it's all about money. There really isn't a very
good alternative to the Goldwing (in my opinion) so I guess we just
suck it up and ride. See Ya.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,211 Posts
CMABob said:
Techdude - I agree, but what governs those decisions is dollars.
Chroming these parts would be more costly, as well as eliminating
the accessory sales. The cost of these things from Honda is really
ridiculous, but again, it's all about money. There really isn't a very
good alternative to the Goldwing (in my opinion) so I guess we just
suck it up and ride. See Ya.
What I meant was, Honda should chrome the OEM parts and sell it for more so they would bolt on like the OEMs. All of these "stick on" accessories are way over priced, especially the plastic ones. I worked in a plastic injection mold plant once, I know how little cost they have in those parts before chroming. 300-500% profit is rediculous! I know they have liability insurance and R&D, but give me a break! I don't think they should pay the premiums off of one sale. Oh well, I'll just keep my gray dull ones, at least they won't scratch from boot kicks.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I don't hav'em but if I did and that happened I would do a couple of things. 1. Remove scuffguard and clean the surface your trying to adhere it to with some rubb'in alcohol. 2.Before trying to reapply the scuffguard I would heat up the adhesive side with a heatgun or blowdryer then put it on. T.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts