GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to Goldwings, having purchased a Dark Orange Metalic 07 six weeks ago. My wife and I went to the Smokies last weekend for a couple of days, and it was frustrating trying to communicate without headsets. The local Honda dealership has Hondaline headsets for a decent price, and I understand that these are made by J&M. Does anyone have any experience with these? Is the sound quality as good as J&M Elites or would I be better off going with the real thing.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Welcome to the board Allen...

I've used the Honda Line headsets for only a couple hours (tried a friend's set) to compare them with the ChatterBox set.

For me, I did not notice any real difference in either music or voice quality...others may have had better luck.

I stayed with the ChatterBox (they're about half the price of the Honda sets).

Both can be purchase through the sponsor of this board.

Good luck!

·
Registered
254 Posts
headsets

I have the same set of hondaline headsets and cables on my 01 GL 1800 that I used on my GL 1500. I traded up for the GL 1800 and just pulled the cables and gear and put them in the new helmets. The sound quality is fair and they are pretty easy to install. I am hoping, however that the fat, jolly, bearded guy stops by the house this year with some updates for the bike. :D

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Headset voice/sound quality is not the headset alone.

Many factors play here. Helmet fit, proximity of the helmet speaker to the ear(install). Ans of course the quality of the speaker itself.

The Hondaline set up is indeed a J&M work up. However it is not comprised of the best J&M speakers.

J&M currently has the ECD 584 as their premium headset and the CPS477-A05 for the intergrated Arai helmets.

Airrider has the Comm-4 as their premium set up.

100% quality and satisfaction means that you have to get the best speakers available and have a 100% quality install for each helmet. Any where that you miss 100%, you will have less than 100% when you are done.

Fit/type of the Helmet is just as important.

There are other options out there as well ie. Ear buds etc.

If anyone plans on getting high fidelity, Carnegie Hall quality music, you are fooling yourself and will go on an expensive elusive search to no end. Voice will be adequate +, in just about any set up.

If ya go cheap, ya get cheap!

Good Luck and Merry Christmas.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, all.

Bulldog, after being into midling high end stereo for years, I understand how headsets work and don't expect the same music quality that I would get in a really good set of headphones. That would take better ear sealing than would be exceptable in a motorcycle helmet. Earbuds are not an option, I simply can't stand anything in my ears for an extended period of time. I simply want the best sound I can get considering the enviroment. After paying over twenty thousand for a Goldwing, I quess I shouldn't quible over paying paying another hundred for headsets. Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Allen Dye said:
Thanks for the advice, all.

Bulldog, after being into midling high end stereo for years, I understand how headsets work and don't expect the same music quality that I would get in a really good set of headphones. That would take better ear sealing than would be exceptable in a motorcycle helmet. Earbuds are not an option, I simply can't stand anything in my ears for an extended period of time. I simply want the best sound I can get considering the enviroment. After paying over twenty thousand for a Goldwing, I quess I shouldn't quible over paying paying another hundred for headsets. Thanks for the advice.
good music on the bike is VERY hard to come by ...
the Chatterbox at around $89 works just fine for talking.
Crank up the speakers for music

Dennis

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
I've had both, Honda and J&M.

One of the best features of the new style J&M is that the microphone and speakers are modular type, meaning that if one speaker goes out, you can unplug just the bad speaker and replace it.

With the Honda line, they are not and if one speaker goes out, you buy a complete new headset, costing a lot more.

Just some information....

Ed Sets are another option, good product as well, had them in a flip face helmet, worked great...better music sound with the EdSets.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wingwing, if cranking up the stock speakers for music is the best I can do, then there is no hope where music is concerned. I'm used to listening to a very good set of Infinity speakers at home, I've had seveal systems in autos that approached what a good home system sounds like. The stock system on the Wing, even at rest, is mediocre compared to stock systems in most autos, much less a good home system, and once you are up to speed, between 60 and 80 MPH, most everthing except middle frequencies are gone. I was hoping to get at least passible music performance from a headset, plus decent communications with my wife.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The most accurate headsets I've found for the Wing are the IMC's. $90. Available from White Horse Press and from Sierra. Mic is average.

David M.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Allen Dye said:
Wingwing, if cranking up the stock speakers for music is the best I can do, then there is no hope where music is concerned.
Allen,
Please let me know if you find a good solution; as yet, I have not.

I have BOSE ANR headsets in my airplane (couple of grand) connected to a "digital quality" (Pacific Engineering) audio system
....and, in my opinion, they sound mediocre at best
... the interior of the airplane is much quieter than the motorcycle.

almost all the intercoms I've tried for the bike are OK for talking so that's why I went with the cheapest
... could not find any that were great for music.

... of course "great" when it comes to music quality is a VERY subjective thing.
What is "horrible" for one person may be "excellent" for someone else.
... your mileage may vary
:)

Dennis

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Hi all,
Our Hondaline headsets came with the bike from the shop. (2 boxes in the trunk). I literally threw them in the HJC Flip front helmets and they work great.

I have even put the ear pads back in over the speakers.
They do not appear to be directional as the speakers are quite large.

Trev.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
The Hondaline headsets are the middle of the road J&M headsets. For better sound quality I have been very happy with my top of the line J&M headsets (477 series purchased early 2005). As Bulldog stated the 584 series is the current J&M top of the line product. Also as stated, placement of the speakers is critical!! They should be placed as close to the ear without touching as possible and the center of the speaker should point directly toward the ear canal. On some helmets you may have to remove some Styrofoam material to get a correct fit/placement on others you may have to put foam or other material behind the speaker to bring it closer to your ear. If you have helmets that are already noisy this will cut down on the effectiveness of the headsets. Bottom line, the helmet has to fit correctly and speakers be placed at the correct location for maximum enjoyment.

·
Vendor
18,400 Posts
I have an Arai 3/4 face helmet that is 1.5 yrs old and came with J&M's built in (apperantly their best at the time). When I went to GpoldWing rallys, I often heard that the cheapest J&M's where best. Because I believe in paying for what you get, I paid no attention to that advise until I bought a 1/2 shell halmet. The only set that fits is the cheapest J&M headset. The sound is deffinatly better in the cheaper set. I beleive it is from not needing as much volume to push the speakers. I usually have my volume around 20 with the on-board speakers or Arai's and 15 with my 1/2 shell.

The one thing I don't like about the cheaper set is that the boom on the **** is thinner and often needing repositioning from wind current and vibration.

One thing is for sure, no matter what set you get, you will always want better sound.

·
Banned
716 Posts
I have both J&M and Edsets. J&M win hands down both in sound and ease in use and installation. The mic on Edsets is too hard to move when drinking my coffee!!! :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts