GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had a problem with the hondaline heated grips. Mine have quit working. It started out as an intermittant problem. Now they wont work at all. Just thought someone else may of had this problem before and could save me some troubleshooting time. TIA.

·
Registered
21,053 Posts
a friend of mine had Honda heated grips that quit working because MICE had moved in under the right fairing pocket, they had a nice new home there and chewed the wires off for the heated grips, removed the mansion and spliced the wires back together and all was fine

·
Registered
84 Posts
Re: heated grips problem

Len - Columbia MD said:
Left grip is always cooler than the right grip on mine.
That's funny - I think my left grip is cooler, too. I can't decide if it's actually cooler, or because I have my hand open using the clutch more often causing it to feel cooler.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Several people have had condesation get inside and destroy the controller. It happend to my neighbor and we did a work around. You can do a search &/or check my other posts.

The easiest way to tell is to check power going to and from the controller and the inline fuse. If either grip goes bad or a connection is loose you will lose both grips since the OEM grips are wired in series.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Silver Ghost said:
Several people have had condesation get inside and destroy the controller. It happend to my neighbor and we did a work around. You can do a search &/or check my other posts.

The easiest way to tell is to check power going to and from the controller and the inline fuse. If either grip goes bad or a connection is loose you will lose both grips since the OEM grips are wired in series.
searched under your name but did not find the "FIX"???can you post here or PM me..thanks..chuck

·
Registered
106 Posts
Chuck, in some rare cases the controller can be repaired. My neighbors was beyond hope. He bought a pair of BB heated grips and I rewired the controller to work with the OEM grips (changed the wiring to use the OEM wiring connecter and grip setup). The BB controller is almost an exact copy of the OEM one, you also need to change the knob and remove the double sided tape.

As far as repairing the OEM one.....it depends on the amount of damage there is inside. To determine that you need to remove the back cover which is glued on. No easy way to remove the cover w/o damaging it.

Before you take the controller apart make sure you KNOW it is not working. There should be 12V to the grips with the controller turned OFF. The controller controls the ground leg for the grips to vary the heat.

If you need further help email or PM me.

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
The left grip will always be a little cooler than the right. It does'nt have the throttle sleve to insulate it
**** :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
The grips have an inline fuse and depending on the year it is under the right pocket area or behind the panel the controller is in. Just follow the wire for the grips and you should find it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts