GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the EC Superwhite fog lights on my last 2 wings and was very impressed. I see that Honda came out with the LED foglamps a while back but have heard little about them (besides there expensive)

Are they close to the EC lamps as far as a bright beam? The only reason I would consider the Honda ones is that the Honda ones looks a bit easier to install and aim.

TIA,
John

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I have had the EC Superwhite fog lights on my last 2 wings and was very impressed. I see that Honda came out with the LED foglamps a while back but have heard little about them (besides there expensive)

Are they close to the EC lamps as far as a bright beam? The only reason I would consider the Honda ones is that the Honda ones looks a bit easier to install and aim.

TIA,
John
I have the Honda LED Fog lamps. I haven't been able to compare them with other lamps. They are MUCH whiter than the Wing's OEM headlights. They are a snap to adjust once mounted and the lower cowl is still off. With the lamps mounted to the bike, it does make installing the lower cowl a bit more difficult though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have the Honda LED Fog lamps. I haven't been able to compare them with other lamps. They are MUCH whiter than the Wing's OEM headlights. They are a snap to adjust once mounted and the lower cowl is still off. With the lamps mounted to the bike, it does make installing the lower cowl a bit more difficult though.
+1 now I should prob get brighter headlamps H-7 I believe. A friend of mine did something where he had to have balasts intalled for his headlamps to work, not an option for me.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much more difficult?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
How much more difficult?
Not impossible but since the fog lamps protrude forward, its a bit more difficult to manuever the lower cowling into place. I was still able to install the cowling just like in Fred's video but I had to have the cowling up a bit higher to clear the fog lamps.

I'd say on a scale of 1-10, with the assembly of the cowl without fog lamps being a 4, I'd put it at a 6 with the fog lamps.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like I will stay with the EC lights as I have installed them before. They were not hard at all but a bit of a pain to aim the biggest hassle was having to remve the cover again to tighten up the lights after adjusting and reinstalling it.

Not impossible but since the fog lamps protrude forward, its a bit more difficult to manuever the lower cowling into place. I was still able to install the cowling just like in Fred's video but I had to have the cowling up a bit higher to clear the fog lamps.

I'd say on a scale of 1-10, with the assembly of the cowl without fog lamps being a 4, I'd put it at a 6 with the fog lamps.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have the Honda LED fog lamps. They are easy to install and adjust the aim. I cannot comment how they compare to the EC lamps as far as bright goes. However, these fog LED lamps do light up the road in front of the bike. The hardware is heavy duty and the lamps are first rate quality. They are plug and play. I installed the EC electrical harness which has its own relay and fuse to the Honda OEM switch which allows the lights to be on whenever you push the switch, whether your headlights are on bright or dim. I understand this EC harness also helps preserve the OEM switch from premature failure.

I bought the Honda LED fog lamps because I wanted long bulb life and the brightest LED illumination so I could be seen better on the road. When I discovered they actually provide light to the road in front of the bike, that was a plus. These lamps are very powerful LED's. There is one single LED bulb in each lamp.

Maybe this will give you some more info about their strength. With the bike off the center stand and standing up straight (you will need someone to set on the bike and hold it straight) the top of the lights are 16 inches off the ground. The aiming instructions say to position the bike 15 feet from a background, turn on the lamps and adjust the top of the light beam to be the same distance off the ground as the top of the lamp on the bike. In my garage, with the garage lights on and with the headlight on dim, I shot the fog lamps at my grey colored cabinets 15 feet away. I could see the top line of the fog lamps illumination on the cabinets and adjusted the top illumination line down to 16 inches on both lamps. You simply trun the adjusting screw on the hardware to adjust the beam up or down. Once adjusted, install the lower cowl. I thought that was very good illumination power for LED lamps. However, I couldn't tell you how this compares to the EC 55 watt incandecent bulbs.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Sounds like I will stay with the EC lights as I have installed them before. They were not hard at all but a bit of a pain to aim the biggest hassle was having to remve the cover again to tighten up the lights after adjusting and reinstalling it.
Even though its a bit more difficult to place the lower cowl back on, you only have to do it ONCE because you know the lights are aimed correct before you put the cowl on. The added difficulty of the cowl installation wouldn't be enough to sway me to a cowl mounted system that I'd have to mount and dismount multiple times to get the aim correct. The convenience on aiming the lights trumps the slightly harder cowl install for me.

I also wanted the longevity and low power consumption of the LEDs. I don't think you can make a bad decision between either the EC or Hondaline fog lamps though.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I installed the EC lamps to aim them I just put the bike on the Pit Bull stand and used that to hold the bike. The last two times I did it this was I got the lights aimed correctly the first time.

Thanks for the info on the LEDs though but that price is pretty steep.

John

I have the Honda LED fog lamps. They are easy to install and adjust the aim. I cannot comment how they compare to the EC lamps as far as bright goes. However, these fog LED lamps do light up the road in front of the bike. The hardware is heavy duty and the lamps are first rate quality. They are plug and play. I installed the EC electrical harness which has its own relay and fuse to the Honda OEM switch which allows the lights to be on whenever you push the switch, whether your headlights are on bright or dim. I understand this EC harness also helps preserve the OEM switch from premature failure.

I bought the Honda LED fog lamps because I wanted long bulb life and the brightest LED illumination so I could be seen better on the road. When I discovered they actually provide light to the road in front of the bike, that was a plus. These lamps are very powerful LED's. There is one single LED bulb in each lamp.

Maybe this will give you some more info about their strength. With the bike off the center stand and standing up straight (you will need someone to set on the bike and hold it straight) the top of the lights are 16 inches off the ground. The aiming instructions say to position the bike 15 feet from a background, turn on the lamps and adjust the top of the light beam to be the same distance off the ground as the top of the lamp on the bike. In my garage, with the garage lights on and with the headlight on dim, I shot the fog lamps at my grey colored cabinets 15 feet away. I could see the top line of the fog lamps illumination on the cabinets and adjusted the top illumination line down to 16 inches on both lamps. You simply trun the adjusting screw on the hardware to adjust the beam up or down. Once adjusted, install the lower cowl. I thought that was very good illumination power for LED lamps. However, I couldn't tell you how this compares to the EC 55 watt incandecent bulbs.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
When I installed the EC lamps to aim them I just put the bike on the Pit Bull stand and used that to hold the bike. The last two times I did it this was I got the lights aimed correctly the first time.

Thanks for the info on the LEDs though but that price is pretty steep.

John
:agree: The LEDs from Honda are pretty steep.

Since you're familiar with EC and you have the "system" down on aiming them, it sounds like the EC lights are the way to go for you then. :yes1:
Ah, the fun of farkling! :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts