GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After watching Traxxion Dynamics installation videos of the Hondalink garage door opener, I decided against it. The red level tech at the local Honda shop said it would take at least five hours of service. Plus, he really didn't want to do it. Thank you, Max McAllister.

Davelink is now operational. The parts?
1) One garage door opener (already purchased)
2) Three squares of velcro.

Overall costs for both systems:
Hondalink: About $1,000
Davelink: About $20

It's not a revolutionary engineering achievement but it works.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
That's precisely what I did as well. In fact, it later took me less time and money to install a home automation tie-in on my garage door, so that it just automatically opens and closes on its own.

·
Registered
2018 Tour DCT
166 Posts
I didn’t watch Max’s video but I did look at the installation instructions. It took me just a few minutes to decide to do exactly the same thing you did.

I bought a remote control door opener from Home Depot and stuck it in the front cubby with Velcro. It works great and if it ever breaks it will just take a few minutes to replace.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I took me maybe 25-30 minutes to install the Hondalink module in the right saddlebag and another few minutes to install the 2 switch pads. If you follow the Honda instructions they tell you to disassemble half the bike to do the job. But if you use a simple wire tie to fish the cable into the saddlebag there is no need to disassemble the rear end of the bike. I like having the Hondalink on the bike, but to each his own.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took me maybe 25-30 minutes to install the Hondalink module in the right saddlebag and another few minutes to install the 2 switch pads. If you follow the Honda instructions they tell you to disassemble half the bike to do the job. But if you use a simple wire tie to fish the cable into the saddlebag there is no need to disassemble the rear end of the bike. I like having the Hondalink on the bike, but to each his own.
Where is the training video?

Reactions: tclhb

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I paid $165 for Honda Homelink. I did the install when I was doing the other accessories (I got 23% off accessories) and it wasn't so bad at that time. A bit of a job if Homelink was all that was being installed. I like the shortcuts some have used.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Where is the training video?

Sorry I didn't make one.

Before I installed the Hondalink I watched Traxxion Dynamics' video and thought that the install was really going to be a problem. The way Max made it sound, the job should be left to a professional. And to tell you the truth, after watching the install video I would have done just what you did had I not already bought the Hondalink for $189.00. But shortly before I was going to install the Hondalink I read somewhere how someone else had installed it and used a wire tie taped to the Hondalink wire harness to fish the harness into the saddlebag. I tried the cable tie method and it worked perfectly. The only thing I needed to remove from the back end of the bike was the seat.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Is the Honda homelink switch available as a separate part? Assuming it’s a normally open, push to close switch I’d hard wire it to my door remote and tape it to the inside of the fairing somewhere. And I have only one garage door, no need for 2 switches.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Why a Homelink type device is not standard is beyond me. Or a $75 (total) option. I'd be willing to bet at least 80% of new Wings live in a garage at the very lowest

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I would buy a new garage door drive system that I could control with a phone app before I bought the Honda homelink system and installed it. No more remotes for all the vehicles. Everyone always has their phones.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I ended up talking myself into Hondalink. DDLLink is what I have in my 2010 and I would have had to make another if I went that route on the 2018. It is powered off of the bike with a dc voltage converter that I wired up to to power the opener (key must be On or Acc). Two other wires run out of the unit going to a momentary button on the left "knee" control panel. The remote and its voltage converter are burred deep inside the bike and made to be water resistant. It is still nowhere near the cost of Hondalink, but my installation time would have been a wash because of wiring everything up. I paid for the Honda buttons...... However, if I would have known before hand that the Hondalink does not work on ACC, I would have made one and saved a bunch of $$$$. I like having the radio on when I get off and close the garage door. With Honda's unit, when I am ready to open/close the door, I must turn the bike "On", hit the button, go back to "Acc". I was soooooo disappointed in that need.....

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I wasn't going to get the Homelink and just use a taped somewhere remote. My friend said, "just get the Homelink and in a few months you'll both be glad you got it and will have forgotten about the money you spent to get it".

Glad I got it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I just use my Apple Watch to open the garage. Works great (most of the time). I do keep a remote in the pocket for those times when Siri gets a little pissed off at me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Same here + I used Helibars' shortcut for the buttons.

·
Registered
242 Posts
After watching Traxxion Dynamics installation videos of the Hondalink garage door opener, I decided against it. The red level tech at the local Honda shop said it would take at least five hours of service. Plus, he really didn't want to do it. Thank you, Max McAllister.

Davelink is now operational. The parts?
1) One garage door opener (already purchased)
2) Three squares of velcro.

Overall costs for both systems:
Hondalink: About $1,000
Davelink: About $20

It's not a revolutionary engineering achievement but it works.
Did the same, except attached with Velcro in top of dash on left side. Works great. Bought extra opener from Amazon for less than $20.00. Ridden in a lot of rain and it rarely gets wet, and then just a couple drops.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Same here + I used Helibars' shortcut for the buttons.
I had the front end and center of the bike apart so I could install the SXM antenna. So I had easy access to the center panel to install the Hondalink buttons and fog light button.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts