GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any ideas for an aftermarket coolant overflow reservoir? We trailered out bikes from Dallas to Chattanooga. Taking it off the trailer the ramp nicked the overflow and caused a leak. After a trip to Wally World we used the wet JB Weld to fix the plastic container. Why would they have it so low under the bike? Anyway, didn't fill it back up ( my fault ). Didn't think I needed it. Rode the bike for three days around the Tail of the Dragon. No problems

This morning rode the 30 miles from our cabin to Deal's Gap and pulled into the parking lot to find major coolant leak from front of the bike. Lost quite a bit. I filled the overflow and rode it back into town. Never overheated. Pulled the radiator cap and topped that off too. Never could figure out where the coolant came from in the front. Rode it on the Tail twice with no problems.

Now I need to figure out how to replace the overflow resevoir. Any ideas??

·
Registered
898 Posts
I use a belly pan after my buddy blew a hole in his,kicking up something.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
When I replaced my coolant overflow bottle, I took an old motorcycle license plate, bent it to cover the leading edge and bottom of the bottle and then used marine goop to glue it onto the bottle.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Replacement is not that easy. It's awkward and tight trying to get the caps and hoses and clamps all fastened correctly.

Of course, you can get OEM here:

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

Look under Radiator.

Belly pan would help it from reoccuring.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I bent a piece of galvanized sheet metal and bent it to fit around the bottle on mine over 6 years ago and it has been fine ever since.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
..Now I need to figure out how to replace the overflow resevoir. Any ideas??
some guys have a knocked a hole in it and then ridden for years without any problem.

How many miles have you ridden already?

Dennis

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
IMO, another reason for a belly pan. I also learned the hard way by a piece of steel hitting the oil filter.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
It isn't a crappy coolant reservoir. Your bike was getting even with you for humiliating it by putting it on a trailer.:lol:

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Possibly might want to check clearance before running up/down a trailer ramp.
Must have been a utility trailer instead of a specific bike trailer, meaning the ramp was not long enough!
Don't care for the location either. License plate seem to be a good idea.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Belly pan's a must would of protected your tank. Also if you rode instead of trailered it would have as well!!!:22yikes:

·
Vendor
22,054 Posts
I used an old license plate on my 09 as well, and it works real well. On the 02 I used $5 worth of aluminum from Home Depot and some safety wire to hold it in place.

I also did a field repair for a friend using JB Weld on one, and it held just fine.

More photos here:
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/coolant

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Just buy a belly pan and save yourself a lot of headaches. The protection you get for the oil filter and coolant reservoir far exceeds the cost.

Easy to install also!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts