GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering the purchase of a new ride with NAVI. I hear some good and some bad about the factory unit vs an add-on. I don't currently have one so I'm kind of in the dark. I think I like the idea of an integrated, clean look but not being able to remove the card and work on your computer seems to be a common complaint. Any opinions would be appreciated. [/b]

·
Registered
311 Posts
wingnitall said:
Considering the purchase of a new ride with NAVI. I hear some good and some bad about the factory unit vs an add-on. I don't currently have one so I'm kind of in the dark. I think I like the idea of an integrated, clean look but not being able to remove the card and work on your computer seems to be a common complaint. Any opinions would be appreciated. [/b]
If I had to do it again I would still go for the NAVI. I like the integration enough to put up with it's shortcomings. I can always use my Quest or Nuvi 660 in addition when needed.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would do it again. I have a Garmin GPS196 that is portable that I use my my Plane and also car. Honda's screen is larger and easier to see in the sun and dark. It has got some features that does not allow you to play with it while in motion. Honda most likely did this to hold down on lawsuits. People that complain because they can't play with the GPS going down the road probably complain about teenagers on cell phones or women applying paint to their face going down the road. Richard

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just bought an '07 with nav. I also have a Garmin Rino 530, and purchased Garmin's City Navigator Software. The bike's system is certainly a "dumbed down" version. At first I thought maybe I should not have gone for the nav on the bike, but having tested it a couple of times, I'm glad I got it. Here are some comparisions, although keep in mind I am no expert:

The bike nav is complete. You don't have to buy extra software, (or at least I haven't heard of any).

Both units appear to use the same "base map" of the U.S.

The City Navigator Software has more built-in detail and points of interest, restaurants, etc, but I can't load it all into the hand-held unit's memory. The bike's system seems to have some, but not all of the detail available in City Navigator.

The integration into the bike provides seamless operation that can easily be done while riding, such as zooming. I'm not sure I would attempt to manipulate controls on the hand-held while riding, although I'm sure some people do.

The bike's display is much bigger and brighter, and reads well at night. Again, I am only comparing it to my, hand-held. I really like being able to tell which way the road turns over the top of the next hill, especially at night.

I still have not programmed a trip into the bike, but the manual makes it look fairly easy. I have used the "home" feature to test it, and it worked fine.
I'll still take the hand-held along on trips, and I'm hooking it into the Autocom as a 2-way radio.

If you are thinking of getting the Navi model, you should probably go ahead and get it.

JoeL

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
I agree with what's been said. Joel did a nice writeup. I've used my by programming in destination addresses - a couple times I added a couple vias. It works well. I especially like the big screen - not just for the NAV but for the other stuff as well. For me, the integration is a big plus.

·
Registered
15 Posts
"The card on the Honda Nav system is removable, it's in the trunk."
As far as I can tell, the only reason the card is removable is to upgrade either the card itself or the software. It would be nice if you could do some route planning on a PC, instead of on the bike.

One other limitation. The bike's nav system only stores one route at a time. I'm not sure how much of hardship this is, as I can only ride one route at a time.

JoeL[/quote]

·
Registered
203 Posts
JoeL said:
One other limitation. The bike's nav system only stores one route at a time. I'm not sure how much of hardship this is, as I can only ride one route at a time.
On my 196 I can store 50 routes. On Honda's only 1, but I can store 500 waypoints which means I can use them as destinations or via points. You just cannot load them from the computer yet. Richard

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you modify a given route to include or exclude a particular road? Can you define each and every turn and store that route?
What are via points? thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
I live in Chattanooga, TN . I want to go to Panama City Beach, FL. I would but PCB as my Destination.I then could put small towns in as via points to keep me off of busy roads, or to see a friend on the way ,or enter no via points and let the GPS decide the route.. Richard

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
A via, know as a waypoint to aftermarket units can be a street address, a city or even a point on a particular highway. The last can be chosen by putting the cursor on a point of the map and entering it as a via.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Nav system on my ‘06 Wing is the only system that I have used. Therefore, I am not disappointed by it’s “shortcomings” as others have claimed in comparison to others. I think it’s a very good system. The important things to remember are to make sure your VIA’s are in the CORRECT ORDER when you program them in, and to have them on the correct side of the road…. especially divided highways. Otherwise it will prompt you to do a U-TURN (if you have that mode selected), or it’ll say OFF ROUTE - RECALCULATING, and route you back around. Just ZOOM in to see that they are on the correct side. You can add or delete a VIA at anytime along the route, but you have to be stopped in order to do so. I find it easiest to map out my route on my computer using MAPQUEST first (I’ve heard people complain about that program too), locating all my stops, printing it out, then punching them into my bike’s nav. I always choose the fastest route mode rather than the shortest (you never know what kind of terrain that will take you across… ask me, I know), and then modify the route using VIA’s in order to take the “scenic route.” When you reach your destination, such as a hotel in an unfamiliar city, punch that in as “HOME” and you don’t have to worry about losing your hotel if your “out on the town.” All in all, it will get you ANYWHERE you want to go, ANY WAY you want to get there. It just takes a little practice

·
Registered
442 Posts
For me the one real issue is programing a route on the bike. I like to sit inside on my computer and figure a route with waypoints and special features. Then save the complete route to download when ready to use. I bought the NAV system bike (2007) knowing the shortcomings of the NAV system. It's a basic unit but has good features for what it is, especially the large screen. I'm not pleased I can't change it when moving but some GW board members will figure this out, I'm sure. The NAV system and your favorite mobile device is the best of two worlds. View your progress on the 500' screen and use the second unit for directions. When you arrive where ever, put the location into the NAV system as a FAVORITE PLACE and then you have the final destination for future use, absent via points. However, on a trip, you can't beat a laptop and a mobile unit to plan a days trip on new roads in new areas.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all for their information and explanations. I'm new to this board but I think I'm gonna like it.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Don't waste your money read how unhappy most of Us are the Honda navi sucks and spend the money on a nice Garmin external unit and a Texelent bar to mount it to, almost all guys run an external navi unit 's because the Honda junk won't do what it should do for a grand in bucks, fact is it sucks!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I knew what I was getting when I bought the bike and would I do it again, yes, the biggest plus is that you can see the screen both day and night and the screen is bigger than most portable units.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Those of us non-power users seem to like it.

A lot of us are looking forward to checking it out further in the spring.

Some of us don't care for the clutter of those rinky dink little aftermarket units that you can't see in the sun light. That is, if they haven't been stolen yet. :lol:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Navi

I agree with the fact that the navi system is too exspensive for what it does. With that said, I like my unit and it meets my limited needs. It has rarely failed me and I enjoy the way its gets me back from an exploring ride through the Virginia country side. I love the big screen for all the functions of the bike, but Honda could have sold that unit for $1000 cheaper. However, look at most cage built in units and the Wing's is comparable....Its your choice and anyone that purchased the unit should have researched the capabilites before considering the Navi option

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
in this thread the only really negative response was from a non Navi goldwing rider, it always amazes me how those who do not have a clue bout the subject response, I do have an 06 with NAVI and enjoy it. Maybe those who compliant they can plan only 1 route at a time need to spend more time riding and less time planning routes they will never travel anyway

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have an 06 airbag and have the Navi as well. My question to those who have the Navi, is; If you owned an aftermarket GPS before you got the Navi (Like I do, Iway 500c) are you mounting the aftermarket GPS to compliment the onboard, or are you just using the onboard...?

Willy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts