GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I have a chance to pick up a set of brand new Shinko tires for my 2002 at a very good price. Guy ordered them, recieved the shippment and before he got them mounted, as he puts it " a little old lady decided to pull out and total my Wing". He is going another direction and has the tires. They still have the stickers.

I have heard good and bad about Shinko and I've heard good and bad about Stones, Dunlops, Avons etc. What I would like is an honest opinion/review of the Shinko's. Did you like them/hate them, how did they wear, how did they grip wet/dry. Just please be give your honest thoughts/experiences. Please don't give me "Well I had a cousin who had a co-worker who had a friend who had them come appart while they were on the Interstate" kinda stuff.

I would NEVER sacrifice safety for a couple hundred bucks but I do like to get the most bang for my bucks so if you can help me out, I'll say "Thanks in advance".

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Never tried the shinkos,,, Have tried the avons as a front tire and it self destructed with only 3000 miles on it on I-10 in Phoenix Arizona. The E-3s as a rear tire only got about 7000 miles on it before it was worn too far for me to consider it safe..

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I would not be afraid to give them a try. In fact I have been wanting to try out the Shinkos myself. I assume you are talking about their "Journey" radial touring tires?

Shinkos are made in a former Yokohama tire plant in South Korea. Riders of the Suzuki V-Strom consider Shinko tires to be an upgrade from the OEM Bridgestones that come on the bike from the factory.

I will eventually buy some but I have a fresh set of Stones in my shop just waiting to go on.

If you try these out, please give us a review after you ride on them for a while.

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/tire/se890-journey-touring

·
Registered
351 Posts
You'll get a lot of opinions here - you decide on the honesty part. My favorites are Avon Cobras. I really like their rain hold. ;)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Ya Get What Ya Pay For...

Most everybody has a favorite tire and will defend that choice because of their own reasons; that can help others make a choice, although sometimes it gets confusing. Every tire provides between 2500 and 25,000 miles, corners well (or poorly), rides well (or poorly), is quiet (or not), Ford or Chevy, tomato or tomahto, etc. It all depends upon who you ask. Fortunately or not, all we have are the reviews.

I look at tires like I look at most purchases. Will the product work well for me, and at what cost (much different from price)? That having been said (typed), I tend to avoid the cheaper brands of tires, just as I avoid the cheaper brands of electronic and computer stuff.

If you buy and use the Shinko tires, please post up later on about how they actually hold up.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Can't say how Shinko's would work on a GW, but used to drive a Suzuki Volusia bagger and had used Shinko's twice... good as any other tire I ever used.

ps. Shinko bought out the m/c tire business from Yokohama, who has been making tires for Japanese bikes for years.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Check the Mfr date on the side wall's, if they are more than 18 months old, I'd bypass them. The date is usually a four digit code, where the first two digits are the week the tire was made and the last two the year, so 4107 would be the 41st week of 2007.

Beyond that I have no experience with the brand.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Reading this kind of discourse makes me nervous.. as I'm just a lowly Darkside rider..... who has done around 320K in the last 9 years mainly on the Darkside.....The cost of rubber with all the low mileage returns is a money nightmare I don't want to go thru again.... Not to mention the anxiety of not knowing if a MC tire will have a sudden loss of air unannounced on such a heavy bike as the Wing especially if carrying a loved one on the back and coming into hot riding weather....Cheers....I gotta go sit down.... .:doorag:

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have used Shinko's before. I had a set on my 1200 LTD and loved it!! Rode very smooth and soft, gripped like gum on hot tar!

However........ I got 8000 miles out of it. That was a Shinko 230 rear tire. I just ordered a Shinko 890 tourer for my 1500.

I have used Dunlop, bridgestone and even CT on the 1500 and any MC tire either doesn't last that long or are so noisy and rough riding, I don't want it to last that long. My last MC tire on the 1800 was the new Avon Cobra. A $280 tire that lasted less than 8000 miles.....

As much as I don't want to change a tire every 8000, at least if I have to Im not draining my wallet doing so.
I ha
ve not mounted the 890 yet on the 1500, but really Im looking forward to it. I looks nice, rubber feels nice and if it's anything like the 230, I will like it!

For the money, I say do it! But as someone mentioned, check the DOT manufacture date on the side of the tire. If it's more than 4 years old and you don't drive more than 8000 miles a year, I would not buy them.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Reading this kind of discourse makes me nervous.. as I'm just a lowly Darkside rider..... who has done around 320K in the last 9 years mainly on the Darkside.....The cost of rubber with all the low mileage returns is a money nightmare I don't want to go thru again.... Not to mention the anxiety of not knowing if a MC tire will have a sudden loss of air unannounced on such a heavy bike as the Wing especially if carrying a loved one on the back and coming into hot riding weather....Cheers....I gotta go sit down.... .:doorag:
I see two to four flat car tires on my commute every day. Are you saying car tires can't go flat?
I have ridden hundreds of thousands of Kms without an issue on MC tires.

Beagle

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
I see two to four flat car tires on my commute every day. Are you saying car tires can't go flat?

Beagle
Maybe he is using a run flat car tire. It may go flat, but it will run flat for a considerable distance. I ran two of those and many riders praise them. I think the ones I used, the Michelin Alpin, was good for touring and general cruising, but not so much in the mountains. No experience with Shinko. I have no problem with 8000 mile service life.

prs

·
Registered
391 Posts
I personally wouldn't chance a GW on a Shinko Im more than satisfied with my Bridgestone in the front and my Kuhmo KH16 on the back. Go Darkside you wont regret it

·
Registered
2,731 Posts

Beagle
I think the point was that it was probably a run-flat car tire that will continue to support the bike even with no air. I've watched a MC tire deflate on a Goldwing right in front on me on a freeway. It looked scary as he**. Total loss of air, rear end sagged, then started to wag. This all on a busy California freeway. A rider with less experience may not have maintained control to get to the side of the road.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
i never had Shinkos but dunlap, dunlap E3, meztlers, but stones far out perform them in my opinion .

·
Registered
628 Posts
Been using the Shinko tires for a couple of years now with no issues. Just put a new set on. Made in Japan and they make racing tires that a lot of the big boys use.

LAW

·
Registered
386 Posts
I like Shinko, for the price of the tire, they can't be beat. I have run many sets of dunflops, Bridgestones and 1 set of Avons and didn't get any more miles out of them than I did with the Shinko. So if Im going to replace a tire every 8000 at least I didn't spend a ton of money on it. And I really liked the nice quiet, soft ride that the Shinko offered.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i never had Shinkos but dunlap, dunlap E3, meztlers, but stones far out perform them in my opinion .
:agree:

Never had a complaint about the E3 until I put the progressive monotubes and traxion rear suspension on and turn much harder now. The front E3 is fine except for thst last couple degrees of lean. I got 17000 miles out of E3's. Love the handling of my stones but only have 3000 miles so far.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've had a pair of Shinkos on my Road King for a couple years now, smoothest tire I've had so far, and great grip. They seem to be wearing the same as any other brand based on tread depth and miles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts