GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
There needs to be another medal or something that can be giving to those that died for our country. Yes, I know those that are wounded in combat get the Purple Heart, I don't mean in any way that they should not be Honored with that Medal. I'm just saying that those that don't come back alive should get another Medal because of the greater sacrifice for our country. I know this medal would be one that most no one would want. I got a Purple Heart and the Navy Cross when the chopper I was a gunner in was shot down in Nam. But the other brave men that died that day got only the Purple Heart. It has always brothered me that I got such an Honor and they did not. What I did was nothing compared to what these fellow Marines did. They give their lives that day.

I read just a few days ago that The President gave the Medal of Honor to a Marine that died jumping on a grenade to save his fellow Marine. What an Honor, Semper Fi.

Not to make light of that either, but I still think anyone that gives his life for this country should get a Medal just for that great deed. The medal could be called the Spirit of America, just a thought.

I know I could be barking up an empty tree. But I bet if we could get some 5th grade class to start pushing this we could get it done. I also know that asking for your opinion is asking for it to. But I will never know how the rest of America feel adout this unless I ask.

Once a Marine, Always a Marine

Flatlander
Darksider

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I agree with you wholeheartedly. Those who sacrificed their lives for our country are "The Spirit of America" and a metal by that name would be a fitting tribute to them.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I agree, I haven't served, but you and others who have served have my wholehearted gratitude. Thank You. :flg: :clap2: :1st:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree with you and I would like to take it a step further... The POW/MIA flag has bothered me for a long time too, because it omits KIA. These guys deserve equal recognition. They all paid the ultimate sacrifice for our country.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Although I was busy raising 6 kids and did not serve, I hold our servcemen in the highest esteem. For several years I operated a company TEFTEC that builds special type of powered wheel chairs..

I could never understand, and still am angered by it, that our government does not think a serviceman is worth a powered wheelchair after his legs are blown off, as long as he can push a manual wheelchair with what he has left.

Just how great a sacrifice does he have to make? I feel like we need to revert to things like we had in WW II where service men were respected for what they did and the honor they gave our country.

To all service men and women on this board, and everywhere, I salute you and thank you. You are the highest level of honor this country has.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Michael,

The greatest honor we can give, is remembering them. That has been the code of Honor for Generations. I as a vet (VN) couldn't asked for a better honor.

To all Vets past, present, and future thank you.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Michael,
I have some mixed feelings about metals and ribbon for military service people.
When they're dead the only one's that benefit the awards are the living. It does a dead service person absolutely no good. Also, to have a parent of a loved one display those awards to me is the same thing as hanging a cross on your wall to remind us that Jesus was murdered by a bunch of non believing Jews, (no offense to the Jewish people).

I've got a personal saying. My metals and .75 cents will buy me a cup of coffee.

The problem I have today is, everybody that serves is considered a hero now. How do we distinguish the difference between the one's that are real hero and those that served their country and came home without a scratch or without having done anything above and beyond the call of duty.

I promise you and would almost offer a challenge to find any parent, wife or other family members that have the metals of there KIA sons from the Vietnam conflict displayed.

If I sound a little bitter, it's because I am.

·
Registered
562 Posts
As Retired Military, I have to agree with Wingit...

"Michael,

The greatest honor we can give, is remembering them. That has been the code of Honor for Generations. I as a vet (VN) couldn't asked for a better honor.

To all Vets past, present, and future thank you."

That is the nature of Veteran’s Day. To honor those who have fallen in defense of our country. To offer a medal or ribbon, on top of a national holiday, is belittling those that make this sacrifice in my OHO, especially in light of the current ribbon/award happy military we have.

For true acts of bravery in combat, the Congressional Medal of Honor is the truly deserved award. There is a web site for the award, and it’s awardees; it makes an impressive read on the net for those that have not seen it.

I have one son serving now and like others I thank him, and all that have served, for carrying on the tradition that makes our country free. I now celebrate Veteran’s Day for him, NOT for me!

·
Registered
362 Posts
I also agree 100%, to all Vets past, present, and future thank you.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You got my vote !

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
"Freedom Is Not Free."

The Medal of Honor has been the traditional medal bestowed upon individuals for exemplary service as you have noted. An additional medal for specific acts as you outlined would give a special memorialization for the family. A heroic act resulting in the ultimate sacrifice should receive an ultimate acknowledgment.

What can we do to bring out troops home???

·
Registered
703 Posts
I agree that remembering our hero's is about the hightest honor that we can bestow on the fallen.

After serving 20+ years in the Air Force, the recipient of criticism during the Viet Nam fiasco, spending many of those years separated from my family, I would do it all over again. The fact that the mission could have ended my life, I never thought about that one time. If I had been killed in the line of duty, let's say the crash of my plane because of mechanical problems, receiving a medal simply for an accident would not be fitting. If the people, citizens of our great country, and the government were to elevate military to a national honor, then our legacies would live on forever. The memorials have helped, but even now, we are spit upon as scum of the earth. That hurts more than anything I've experienced.

I know many members of this board are former military members and their may be some still serving. You understand the sacrifice of military members. I'd like to show those just what the majority of our military members are paid for their sacrifice. When you look at these numbers, these are numbers for basic pay.

Many of our fighting force, Army and Marines are very young and have been in the military less than 4 years. You might wonder, why would some one join for this of pay. This is montly pay. I will say no more.

Under 2* Yrs Over 2 Yrs Over 3 Yrs
E-1 *1301.40 1458.90 1534.20
E-2 1301.40 1458.90 1630.80
E-3 1301.40 1458.90 1729.20

·
Registered
54 Posts
Presenting an award to a servicemember already deceased via KIA is too little too late. The official military funeral presents the family with a United States Flag and all the rights and privileges deserved. The presentation of the United States Flag, that was laying over their son or daugthers casket, to the family, is symbolic to the utmost degree of what their son or daughter died for.

However, the combat action ribbon (CAR), is a medal that is given out to anyone in a combat (hot) zone whether they see action or not. I believe there needs to be some distinction between seeing combat vs just being in a hostile territory. The individual who is involved in close arms combat needs to be properly decorated vs the individual in a support function in- country. There are plenty of other medals that recognize an individual for their participation in that respective theater. The CAR is almost awarded as often as the National Defense Ribbon. A medal that is given to servicemembers immediately after completing boot camp for doing nothing but joining the military during a conflict period.

I want to thank everyone that participates with the Patriot Guard. You do a wonderful job making sure that military funerals are kept respectful for the family.

God Bless and please pray for our military members overseas.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Patriot, not to argue too strongly against what you are saying, but there are a number of things you left out. For example, all servicemen are given either a place to live or an allowance to offset expenses for living off base. They are also either fed three meals a day or given COMRATS (communted rations) to offset the cost of buying food away from the base. They are also aided in saving for education if they choose to do so. And there are many other benefits that go along with being a service member, such as free medical (for the servicemember only).

However, I do agree that most young enlisted men are not compensated nearly enough for what they do. In order for that to happen, taxes will have to be raised significantly - are you willing to pay the price?

My biggest complaint is that when I entered the U.S. Navy in 1960, it was implied that if I decided to make the service a career, I would receive free medical for the rest of my life. Well, I currently pay almost $90 a month for that "free" medical. On one side of the coin, who in the civilian world has that kind of coverage? On the other side, Uncle Sam has not met their obligation to those of us who spent 20 years or more in service to our country.

If you really want to honor those who have fallen in the line of duty, make sure their families, especially young wives with small children are properly compensated so they can at least get on with their life without the primary bread winner gone.

Mesquite Bob

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
The question I should of asked is there a higher Honor that we can bestow to anyone that has been KIA that on one else receives. All Veterans are or can be Honered when they die on active duty or when they die of old age with a military funeral. All veterans are honored on Vetrans Day. What I'm talking about is a Medal that only those KIA should get. The question is, should those military personal that are KIA receive a distinguished HONOR that no one else receives? And if so what could this or should this Medal or Honor be called? " The Spirt Of America" is only a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Don't know if another medal would make a difference, but I'm all for honoring those who have served and those coming home needing rehab - check out the Today Show story on Fisher House.

I've been trying another idea, as I am just 15 miles from Fort Indiantown Gap which is just off of I-81 east of Harrisburg, PA. A bunch of us who ride though it would be nice to organize a run to support our troops. I've talked to the local USO rep, the Publicity Office at the Gap and contacted the local media - all with no success! As many of the military at the Gap frequent Harper's Tavern for lunch - they make a great Ruben - I'm hoping to cross paths with a high ranking officer. We haven't given up, but I'm amazed at the lack of enthusiasm.

Maybe we do need a bunch of 5th graders to help!

FYI: Third Saturday in May is Armed Forces Day.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I've got a personal saying. My metals and .75 cents will buy me a cup of coffee.

Wish in my area coffee was .75, but have to agree with your points. Medals mean nothing to the dead. Soldiers don't fight for medals, but for each other. Ask anyone who has been in combat, dying for the country and apple pie thing doesn't exist. The only thing that matters is your buddies. They are why you fight and maybe die. Taking better care of our vets and families of those who give their lives would be much more meaningful than a medal no matter what reason it is given for. And as for the POW/MIA flag, that flag should also have KIA on it. They made the supreme sacrifice.

·
Registered
96 Posts
topster said:

Wish in my area coffee was .75, but have to agree with your points. Medals mean nothing to the dead. Soldiers don't fight for medals, but for each other. Ask anyone who has been in combat, dying for the country and apple pie thing doesn't exist. The only thing that matters is your buddies. They are why you fight and maybe die. Taking better care of our vets and families of those who give their lives would be much more meaningful than a medal no matter what reason it is given for. And as for the POW/MIA flag, that flag should also have KIA on it. They made the supreme sacrifice.
Yeppers, I agree whole heartedly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts