GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving a 2008 GL1800 with factory Navigation.....

Currently using my Blackberry smart phone and AUX input as my MP3 player.
It works OK but the phone is set for auto lock (network feature required by employer) and the screen is difficult to read and can be distracting.

Would like something better at a reasonable price. Something that:
1) Uses the bike's display (easier to read than smart phone window, plus safer)
2) Shows me the name of the song along with the artist
3) Allows me to change to the next song by using buttons or controls on the bike

Looking at the Honpdsdr Soundgate or the J&M JMDM-IPAX-GL18

Feedback on these units would be appreciated....or other suggestions.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have had a soundgate for a couple of years...it does not display the song on my bike---I don't think either of these units will do that for you, but I think that's a limitation of the wing's audio system, not the accessory...

For what it's worth, I love my soundgate.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had a soundgate for a couple of years...it does not display the song on my bike---I don't think either of these units will do that for you, but I think that's a limitation of the wing's audio system, not the accessory...

For what it's worth, I love my soundgate.

Thanks Gilbee....they are both about the same price. Not sure what advantages one has over the other, if any.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
check with pedro66 I "think" (oops) he is working on what you want...

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Only the J&M unit will support your Blackberry and that is via Bluetooth so you will need to buy the Bluetooth version it will also allow phone calls

No units on the market will show the music track and artist info on the screen from any device

I am pretty sure the screen when using the J&M via Bluetooth will not show any music info (Please correct me if wrong) I am also not sure on the level of control it offers via Bluetooth

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only the J&M unit will support your Blackberry and that is via Bluetooth so you will need to buy the Bluetooth version it will also allow phone calls

No units on the market will show the music track and artist info on the screen from any device

I am pretty sure the screen when using the J&M via Bluetooth will not show any music info (Please correct me if wrong) I am also not sure on the level of control it offers via Bluetooth

Plan on continuing to be able to use the Blackberry cell phone through the AUX connection...just as I currently do via my Kennedy CellSet.... I have this installed and it works fine. No plans to go Bluetooth.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Plan on continuing to be able to use the Blackberry cell phone through the AUX connection...just as I currently do via my Kennedy CellSet.... I have this installed and it works fine. No plans to go Bluetooth.

So are you looking for a iPod unit also? or just sticking to what you have once you got the info about the units

·
Registered
905 Posts
Sounds like he has a Kennedy cellset for making calls, that also pushers other audio (music) to the aux...I remember an option like that when I bought mine, but I didn't do it.

Pedro does bring up a valid point though...if u go the soundgate route you'll be buying an apple device of some sort for your music...of course Pedro sells a device that uses an SD card to store music, which eliminates the need for an iPod/iPhone...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Already own a few Ipod units...

Question: Does the Bluetooth unit require a Bluetooth headset? Or, does it still allow you to use what ever headset you have in your helmet plugged into the bike's hardwired system??

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Already own a few Ipod units...

Question: Does the Bluetooth unit require a Bluetooth headset? Or, does it still allow you to use what ever headset you have in your helmet plugged into the bike's hardwired system??
Works with the hardwired bike headset

If you have an iPod both the units will work just as well and you don't need the Bluetooth version to do it

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems there are nothing but complaints about the Soundgate on the Wingstuff website. That's not good, making me rethink my plans to get one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts