·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
I would like to install a skifi xm radio on my wing,
this way I can can use it in my garage.
what will I will need to hook it up?
I also want to thank everyone for all the great info in this group!!!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi Pete,
I installed a Delphi Roady on my Wing with only a Radio Shack ground loop modulator on the aux audio line.
Search this board and you will find several threads on XM, including links to filters and parts to eliminate the receiver whine you will probably get.
Good luck and enjoy. :D

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Good choice, Pete.

"Hawk" is right - there have been a lot of posts regarding this issue lately and a lot of good ideas posted by everyone.

Obviously, you'll need the radio and a car kit for the installation on the bike. This kit will come with a cigarette plug-style lighter power converter, an antenna, a remote control (for the co-pilot) and a cassette adapter (which you won't need on the 1800).

You'll need to determine where you want to put it. Look at some of the other threads, take the unit to the bike, try it in different positions and find one that you think will work for you. I, personally, like to have the radio close at hand, and put it on my left handlebar so I can get to the channel buttons.

You'll also need some way to mount the cradle on the bike. I think most are using the CycleGadgets mount and the RAM mounting system. Personally, I think that looks a little bulky. I made a mounting bracket that attaches to the handlebar bolts and is a little more permanent. The lastest version of the bracket is being professionaly built now and then I'll have them powdercoated.

Now you'll have to find a good location for your antenna. If you look around at some of the other posts, you'll see that this is a pretty popular subject too. I would recommend trying a location close to the cockpit at first, just so you won't have to run the antenna cable all the way back to the trunk, just to find out it doesn't work too well for you there. I mounted mine on my front brake reservoir, but there are many suitable locations. Test some temporarily with double-back tape and take some rides - find a location that works for you and then permanently mount the antenna and route the wire to where you mounted the cradle.

Next, you'll need to route the power, audio and antenna cables up the handlebar (or to wherever you decide to mount the cradle). If you use a right-angle audio cable plug, you can slide the unit right up next to your handlebar switch housing for a clean installation. Feed the audio output of the unit into the AUX input cable under your left pocket, plug in the power supply and initialize the unit.

Start the bike, put the audio unit on AUX and see if you have a whine from the engine. If you do, install a ground loop isolator (from E/C or radio shack) in the audio lead between the cradle and the AUX input.

If all goes well, you should have a great listening experience. :lol:

I add a strip of velcro from one of the mounting screws on the back of the cradle to a strip attached to the top of the radio - this helps insure that it doesn't go bouncing down the road if/when I hit a major pothole or railroad track.

Don't forget that the unit is not weatherproof and you'll need a baggie or a rain cover when it starts to come down.

I hope this helps - I've got some pictures and details on my website, if you need further information.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts