GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going on a trip tomorrow and need to get some answers ASAP please.

Just installed the J&M passenger volume control and it says in the instructions "Connect the red positive lead to the motorcyles positive accessory terminal behind the left sidecover". The fuse attached to the JM wire is 5 amp.

I understand the instructions and know where to connect it to the fuse panel. The problem (or confusion) that I am having is that I presently have a corbin seat with heat, that already has it's positive lead wire connected to the positive accessory terminal. The fuse attached to the Corbin wire is 7.5 (I'm assuming that's 7.5 amps)

The owners manual states that the positive accessory terminal can hold max of 5 amp. Specifically it says "A maximum of 60 watts (5 amps) may be connected to the terminal"

So if I overlap these 2 connections on the same terminal will I blow a fuse?? Is it ok to use the same terminal for both connections.

My knowledge of electricity, power, amp, etc is, well..... non existent and just plain limited. So what I want to know is can I connect both accessories (corbin and JM) to that one specific positive terminal without doing harm / blowing a fuse.

Any assistance would be helpful.

Thanks

Zeebo

·
Registered
467 Posts
If I remember correctly, the volume control power supply line (red wire) has an inline (5 amp) fuse. If this is so, you can hook this wire directly to the positive side of the battery.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you attach it directly to the battery you have to remember to make sure the passenger controller is turned off or you'll run down the battery. Another option is to disconnect the heated seats for now and order a separate fuse block to attach accessories.

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
I have the JM Volume control and a heated clothing connection connected the way you describe. No issues here. I could only see an issue if your remote volume and aftermarket seat heater/seat were turned on at the same time. And it is fused so no issues.

The poster above is right. Make sure the JM is always turned to off . It lights up(LEDs) when turned on

Did your kit come with about 12 zip ties?? I think I used 4.

A little trick I use to make the controler more stable is before you tighten down the velcro strap put two black plastic zip ties side by side about an 1 1/2 on the unit around the grab handle. This makes the unit much more stable

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Zeebo, your concern shows that you are not as clueless about electrical as you think you are.

I am however curious about who hooked the Corbin seat up to the accessory terminal. It really doesn't belong there. Even though the fuse for the accessory terminal is rated at 7.5 amps, since your accessory terminal has a 5 amp fuse, the Corbin will stop working if it draws more than 5 amps, because the fuse will blow.

The J&M can be hooked up to the terminal by itself. But you can't hook both up.

There aren't any accessory terminals on the GL1800 that are designed to handle 7.5 amps. And you don't want to hook the heated seat directly to the battery for fear of forgetting to turn it off. Corbin should have supplied a harness with a relay. Since they didn't, you can easily add one by getting a relay kit from one of the major auto parts stores. They come with a harness and install instructions.

I know that is more work than you had planned. But it is the correct way to do it.

You can even hook your J&M up to the same relay as the Corbin, freeing up the accessory terminals for other low current items.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts