GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Ipod a few days ago and finally was able to give it a test ride in the left fairing pocket of my 'wing.

:D Not a single skip! :D :D :D

I rode around Asheville, hit a few potholes, rode on the interstate and on a fairly twisty US23 into Tennessee.

To contrast: the Archos would skip, stop playing, and even corrupt some files. My Iriver only holds 256Mb of music and is a pain to change songs.

The Ipod remote worked flawlessly. The only "problem" is using the 12v power supply... a bit of a 'buzz.' If I want to use it, I suppose I'll need to get a ground loop isolator from Radio Shack. I am not yet sure how long the batteries last...

The Ipod is expensive but apparently it has been worth it.

-Boatner

·
Registered
569 Posts
iPod

I am using the Belkin DC adapter and have not had that problem so far. I plug the Aux plug from the bike into the adapter's audio jack.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hooray for iPod

Congratulations ! !
Like you I went through the Archos and a couple others before making the jump to the iPod, I've never looked back. Had the Pod for a year now without a single issue. They say battery life is 8-10hrs. I haven't hooked to the bike 12vdc system yet, but I can run from Albuquerque, NM to Las Vegas, NV(about 9-9.5hrs) on a single charge.

dMac

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I never had a problem with the Archos (maybe 2 skips in 10K miles) but I too have upgraded to the Ipod..............The Archos is now used in the house, shed, etc...............I leave the Ipod in the bike.
I agree it's a more throughly designed unit and probably alot more "vibration proof" than the Archos.
I use the Belkin charger to power mine and also have the RF remote (not a good design but does work)

Ipod cradle in trunk..................

RF remote..................

·
Registered
816 Posts
Ipod battery

I am starting to have some concern about battery and battery life for my Ipod. I'm seeing indications of short battery life and am not seeing the charge life that I should. I see that there have been several lawsuits filed against Apple already over this issue. I somewhat liken it to the ECM issue for Honda. A flaw in design that should be rectified on future models. I love the Ipod's design and functions but at $500 for my 40 gig, I'd like to think it would have a longer life expectancy. We'll see.

ITunes is very good as well.

Would I buy another? Yes. My son now wants one too.

·
Registered
107 Posts
OzarksF6,
From what I understand of the lawsuits are for the 1st Gen of iPod when they didn't offer battery replacement, and the iPod was basically a throw away after the battery died. Some batteries were giving less life than the 8-10 hrs but after 18months of use. What should the life of a battery be? I don't know. Your 40gig should be fine, its not even a year old. I have a 30 gig and I work 12hr shifts 4 days a week, and mine runs 10hrs of the 12 hr shift (except for (2) 1 hr breaks). I have not had it stop due to low battery. So, my battery gets a really thorough work out, which may help in battery capacity. I know it does with NiCADs but I'm not really familiar with cycling Lithium batteries used in the iPod. I have noticed and read on other boards that the battery indicator on the iPod is inaccurate at best. Mine usually shows empty after about 4 hrs but the pod continues running, and running.

dMac

·
Registered
567 Posts
There is an article in this month's popular science that shows how to replace the battery. check it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts