GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the roads around the Hoover Dam, specificlly 167 147, looking to go over to the dam from Vegas, but want to go up that way back to I15 on into Utal. Wondering of the roads are good, or should I go back to Vegas to get back onto I15

·
Registered
180 Posts
The last time I was in the area I drove from Mesquite through the Valley of Fire to North Lake Shore Drive. What a sight for a midwestern person. When I get home tonight I will try to pull the route from my GPS. However, I think the locals in the area will have what you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I was there a month or so ago... They're good

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
According to the Hoover dam website you can only get to the dam from the Nevada side as the road has been closed on the Arizona side.

You can drive across the dam to see the sites on the Arizona side, but you have to drive back across and leave the dam on the Nevada side.

If you want to travel to Arizona (beyond the dam area) you will need to use the bridge.

The site includes a list of vehicles eligible to cross the dam -- the list includes motorcycles. All vehicles must pass thru an inspection checkpiont.

·
Registered
328 Posts
We rode the Wing across the new bridge in April (northbound). What a disappointment! The side walls are high enuff to block all sights. Take the roads down to the dam and look up, I think.

And since you are in the area take old Rt 66 from Kingman through Oatman. Now there's a road:bow:

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
We rode the Wing across the new bridge in April (northbound). What a disappointment! The side walls are high enuff to block all sights. Take the roads down to the dam and look up, I think.

And since you are in the area take old Rt 66 from Kingman through Oatman. Now there's a road:bow:
When in Oatman get some carrots in the store and feed the donkeys.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I haven't been across the dam since the new bridge finally opened, but I believe that vehicles are now banned from being on the dam. You'll have to use the bridge to cross.
You can cross it, but it leads to a dead end.

The Tilmann Bridge is the new highway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hoover Dam

If you've never been across the dam take an extra 30 minutes and go across. You get a great view of the new bridge from the dam. Going across the new bridge you wouldn't know the dam is to the north and the Colorado river to the south.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Hoover Dam bypass bridge....

Crossing the new bridge..... you wouldn't know anything existed except sky and traffic. I don't even think that the top end of a double decked bus would let you see anything beyond the wall. I am guessing that there was no budget to put a roof on it...but they sure came close.....

Take the time and go across the dam. Maybe the checkpoint will not be backed up too bad. If you have more time to spend, stop and do so. Having the dam closed to through traffic means they only deal with one security check.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
According to the Hoover dam website you can only get to the dam from the Nevada side as the road has been closed on the Arizona side.

You can drive across the dam to see the sites on the Arizona side, but you have to drive back across and leave the dam on the Nevada side.

If you want to travel to Arizona (beyond the dam area) you will need to use the bridge.

The site includes a list of vehicles eligible to cross the dam -- the list includes motorcycles. All vehicles must pass thru an inspection checkpiont.
This is correct. I was just there a couple of weeks ago. Everything is so much nicer with the bridge. Less traffic on the dam -- just those who want to go see it. And yes, you enter from the Nevada side and after crossing the dam and driving up the switchbacks to the overlooks on the AZ side you drive back to the Nevada side.

Don't forget to stop at the parking lot for the walk out on the bridge. That is on the road down to the dam on the Nevada side. Beautiful views from the bridge. Amazing engineering!

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
You really missed out by just riding across the bridge. Yep, you take the road down to the dam and then walk out on the bridge from one of the parking areas. Awesome!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts