GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many on this forum, I (originally) had a real beef with the horn button on this bike...it is the exact same size, shape and texture as the Siri button that lives above it. At first glance/experience, it is not intuitively easy to find, leading many, myself included originally, to think one had to look for the button to find it....

Then I started playing a little bit and discovered...

IF you take a couple of minutes and just sit on the bike with your left hand on the grip, your left thumb when brought up will (almost by magic) find that horn button, without looking, EVERY time. Just take a few minutes to give yourself some 'muscle memory' action with your left thumb, and I think you'll find like I have, that you just naturally find this button every time. It is in a spot that I'm sure some Honda engineer determined is the ergonomically correct place to put this button.

Practice a few times. Cabinet bumper, different type switch, is just not required. You'll find it naturally with just a little practice moving that thumb up. Up, down, up, down, up, down....and boom, your thumb will be finding the horn switch every time without looking.

Give it a try!

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,531 Posts
A few minutes to train yourself to hit the button without look looking..LOL..it took me months of riding this bike and making the effort to train myself to be able to hit the horn button in a split second without looking at...but now it feel natural to me.

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Tried that. Doesn't help me. To have muscle memory, I'd have to have muscle. Muscle left back in spring of 2016.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have a new GL and not sure where the horn button is, but have been riding a 1978 GL since new and never used the horn. I will go check to see if it still works... Yep "meep". I guess my reaction to potential trouble is using the brakes and steering rather than the horn. Seems to me, here, using the horn will just cause an unexpected reaction, potentially worsening the situation, or no reaction at all. Once I have completed my maneuver, I can always find my middle finger since its always between my index finger and my ring finger on every bike.!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2014 Valkyrie had the same horn button location. I got used to it in the two years a rode it. Not an issue for me.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I practice extending my hitch hiking thumb and it works over and over except when somebody is leaving their lane and then the darn thing is almost impossible to find.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Could the horn button be in a better place? Maybe. I just trained myself to find the thing. Now, I have no issues.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm the exact opposite, every-time I try to hit the horn, I hit the turn signal.

But like iride4u said, riding multiple bikes will keep you always guessing.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Cabinet Bumper 🤙

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
The problem with the horn button, at least for me, is that IMO the button should be placed right where my thumb naturally falls, and it isn't. I should not have to learn a new location for a split-second, emergency reaction. In that circumstance, no matter how little extra time it takes to move my thumb to the horn button from where it naturally falls is more time that it should take. The location of the horn button should be standardized. It should be the same on every motorcycle.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I've learned by feel where the turn signal switch is as I will almost always cancel the signal after making the turn. I know the horn button is just above that, but it's hit or miss on whether or not I'll hit it when I need to. Mostly, I can find it by feel, so I'm okay with the way it is.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,531 Posts
I have a new GL and not sure where the horn button is, but have been riding a 1978 GL since new and never used the horn. I will go check to see if it still works... Yep "meep". I guess my reaction to potential trouble is using the brakes and steering rather than the horn. Seems to me, here, using the horn will just cause an unexpected reaction, potentially worsening the situation, or no reaction at all. Once I have completed my maneuver, I can always find my middle finger since its always between my index finger and my ring finger on every bike.!!!
I use the horn at every intersection where a car is. I want the driver in the car to look at me..I want to see the drivers face...sometimes I get a irritated look from the driver, but most drivers give me a quick wave telling me they see me..regardless I don't care if a driver doesn't like to hear my horn...the horn has stopped the young lady in a intersection looking at her phone from pulling out in front of me more than once.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
around town or traffic situations, i ride with the index and middle finger of my right hand on the brake level and my left thumb on the horn. the ready positions

1 - 20 of 26 Posts