GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think most of us agree the horn button is a safety issue, shouldn't have to look down to find the horn button. I believe the location is not an issue but the size of the button is too small and not protruding out far enough. If it was the size of the reverse button I think it would be easier to locate with your thumb without looking down.

My question how are the buttons inserted, do they pop out or what. If they pop out why couldn't one purchase a reverse button and file on it to make it fit the around the jog buttons. After all it's made of plastic.

Has anyone had the horn and reverse buttons off to see if they have the same mounting? Maybe Fred could chime in.

Pic is a Tour six speed.
IMG_20191013_123408579.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think most of us agree the horn button is a safety issue, shouldn't have to look down to find the horn button.

Not sure how long you've had the bike. I got mine in May 2018 and had the same gripe. By July 2018, I didn't have the gripe anymore and could hit the horn button without looking. Now that it's a year later, I actually think the horn button is in good spot, right next to our thumb and easy to find, once you're used to the new location. I'm betting you'll get used to it over time, too. :wink2:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forwarded this post to Max @ traxxion dynamics, maybe he can come up with a permanent fix and make a little money doing it. Larger button that will fit back in the same place. He's good at thinking outside the box.
May not be cost effective but if the reverse button could be used in some form, maybe.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like this...
That would be better than nothing. It would be protruding enough to be noticeable with your thumb without looking down. Good idea.

A permeant solution by Honda would be better. Should be a recall since I believe it's a major safety issue. Honda locks out a lot of options when bike is in motion to keep eyes on road. Looking for a horn button is no different.

·
IronMan
17,636 Posts
MOST DONT LISTEN TO HORN JUST LIKE THEY DONT SEE YOU !!!! SOMETIMES "HAND SIGNAL" STILL THE BEST !:surprise::serious::wink2:>:)

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I totally agree about being a recall worthy safety issue. By the time you go to look for the horn button, you are TOO LATE and potentially dead or dying. I have already been run off the road once and not a peep of loud sound until it was long time over. Then I had to figure out how to get the controls back from "Honda lockout" because I hit every bloody button on the left control except the horn looking for the stupid horn button. I could not look at the controls at the time, I had to make a mad dash to the shoulder, not overshoot the shoulder, and avoid being creamed by the idiot oblivious to anything smaller than a 4 door sedan.

I have the end of a valve cap that has a extra bump on the end stuck on mine. It is a minor help. It is also not the only bike I ride and between the two, the horn button on the 2018 may as well be in the bloody trunk because the placement difference is too great between this bike and just about every other bike since before "The Honda Dream".

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I don't have a problem with the button, its all about muscle memory and learning where the button is. My problem is that I have two bikes and the horn buttons are polar opposite with the turn signals; one has the horn above the turn signal, the other has the horn below the turn signal.

As I pull of, part of my pre-check ride is gently touching the horn button to remind me where it is.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
the only time you should be using a horn is AFTER youve assessed that you have plenty of time to either stop, or maneuver away from the danger. flashing your lights is a much better option. everyone can see those, not everyone will hear a horn. if youre struggling to find the horn while trying to panic brake or keep yourself from going off the road, youre not doing what youre supposed to be doing. the horn is the last thing you should be concentrating on at that point. muscle memory is key. my bikes also have different horn positions/feel, so every time i ride i alternate my thumb between the horn and the downshift button.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
the only time you should be using a horn is AFTER youve assessed that you have plenty of time to either stop, or maneuver away from the danger. flashing your lights is a much better option. everyone can see those, not everyone will hear a horn. if youre struggling to find the horn while trying to panic brake or keep yourself from going off the road, youre not doing what youre supposed to be doing. the horn is the last thing you should be concentrating on at that point. muscle memory is key. my bikes also have different horn positions/feel, so every time i ride i alternate my thumb between the horn and the downshift button.

I understand what your saying but disagree somewhat......
Your horn can be the first offensive action in preventing and incident from happening in the first place.

I can't count how many times I've used the horn that has stopped a car from moving over on top of me or from pulling out in front of me.
Sure you need to prepare yourself to move to a safe zone and give yourself an "out" but the horn can prevent the incident from happening in the first place.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I can see how the horn could keep people from coming over on you. I choose to not make people react to me but to react to what they will most likely do. I generally know that they are going to change lanes before they do based on LOOKING AHEAD. Most people react to what’s directly in front of them. Defensive driving,SIPDE, looking way ahead etc is the best solution. I try to avoid situations where what that may do will effect you, thats the best option. For example riding beside a vehicle if there are better options. I call it the if/then philosophy. If they can then they will. Obviously there comes a time when you just make the best out a bad situation.

I read an article that discussed not looking in front and down the road, but looking way down the road and bringing your eyes to whats in front of you while scanning. It was an interesting technique.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
"the only time you should be using a horn is AFTER youve assessed that you have plenty of time to either stop, or maneuver away from the danger"

That's like closing the barn door after the cows are out, just saying.
is your priority to let the guy know he screwed up or is it to maneuver safely? the horn can be useless unless youre close...person inside a car, music playing, on the phone, etc...just like that nonsense of panic revving.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I understand what your saying but disagree somewhat......
Your horn can be the first offensive action in preventing and incident from happening in the first place.

I can't count how many times I've used the horn that has stopped a car from moving over on top of me or from pulling out in front of me.
Sure you need to prepare yourself to move to a safe zone and give yourself an "out" but the horn can prevent the incident from happening in the first place.
thats because youre doing exactly what i said. you were in a position to assess/predict and you had plenty of time. using the horn after you assessed the situation and before having to make a panic, ABS full on, evasive maneuver. when im in such a situation my goal is to apply full brakes as smoothly as possible, and to be looking for my opening of escape. not worried about pressing a horn.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts