GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Vendor
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spoke with Wayne at Sierra Electronics about the microphonics problem in the intercom. Through the course of our conversation I learned a couple interesting things.

According to him, the problem of the Horns bleeding into the headset is a result of a harmonic of the frequency of the horn circuit bleeding into the CB. Wayne told me he can park his Wing next to a Valkyre and when he honks the Wings horns, you can hear them in the CB on the Valk. He also told me you can eliminate the problem by switching to aftermarket horns.

Another interesting thing he told me was about the crosstalk/feedback problem of the CB coming into the rear speakers. Apparently, the amp inside the radio is not being properly de-activated when the CB is transmitting. According to him, Honda has a new radio unit that is supposed to fix this problem, though he has not yet received one for testing.

I strongly suggest that if you are experiencing the microphonics problems (can hear yourself tapping on the top shelter in the headset or seat squeaking), or horns in the headset, or crosstalk from the CB to the speakers, that you contact Honda Customer Service (310-532-9811) and inform them about it.

I called them this morning about the microphonics problem, and they informed me that if they got enough complaints about it, that they would look into fixing it. So if you want the problems in the GL1800 intercom/radio fixed, you are going to have to first complain directly to Mother Honda. Until more folks start calling, nothing will get done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
cb feed back

I have just noticed after putting in rear speakers on my 1800 that I now sometime can hear my CB transmission on the front out side speakers.

·
Vendor
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matsushita

One of the real shames to GL1800 audio system is that to date, absolutley no one has been able to lay hands on the schematics for it. Several of us have the talent and tools to fix the microphonics bug (and others) in a matter of minutes if we could ever get the internal circuitry schematics. For some reason, they are not being brought into the country by Matsushita. And to add insult to injury, they appear not to even be attempting to fix the microphonics bug.

So they won't fix the problem, and they won't let us have the data we need to fix it ourselves. These guys ought to work for the government.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mother honda

Everyone needs to take Fred to heart and call and complain about the radio and intercom problems. in case you missed the # when Fred posted it. Here it is again. 310-532-9811. WAY TO GO FRED!!!

·
Vendor
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whiole I am at it..

While I am complaining about the intercom system, why is it that the GL1800 intercom has no wind noise filters built into it?

I can use a $400 Autocom at 140mph and still have crystal clear conversations, yet I can't use the intercom on the $18,000 GL1800 over about 70mph due to all the wind noise and lack of wind noise filters.

You would think on a bike this expensive that the intercom would at least be able to be used above 70mph.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Re: Whiole I am at it..

Fred H. said:
You would think on a bike this expensive that the intercom would at least be able to be used above 70mph.

I'm going to respond like I work for Honda, when commenting about the above statement....

"But isn't the highest legal speed limit in this country right at 70mph?"

·
Vendor
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, it is not. It is 75 in most of New Mexico and I believe I saw some 80mph signs in Montana last year.

And besides, the Honda intercom really becomes hard to hear at only 60mph with all the wind noise. It is still usable, but just barely. Add in a 10mph head wind, and it won't even work well at 55mph.

It is simply an inferior design and doesn't belong on a $18K motorcycle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
noise in ext. speakers with CB

I just returned from honda dealer with same prob., the service writer said he never heard the prob. before, and no one has complained about it to him, however I had my AU replaced about 15000 miles ago for the same prob. from the same dealer, but at that time they couldnt make it do it, now it does it all the time so showing him the prob. was easy. We called honda together and they told him its a big prob. and they are getting upgraded radios, because the manufacture of the radios changed something in the circuitry when they were manufactured without checking with honda. I have a new AU on the way and one for a friends bike, honda warranties the radio but its coming from the manufacture not honda. My dealer is Motorsports of Tampa and the service writer is Pat, he knows about the prob. now. Any dealer should take care of it at no charge. Jeff in Tampa

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Too bad that dealer couldn't fax all of the other dealers about the fix.
I wonder ? Do they have a Nation wide system they can all hook into ?
Noooooo don't even go there ! LOL

·
Registered
104 Posts
JeffB. I wish you had got the Honda rep. you talked to and could give us his name. Seems every rep my service man gets, has never heard of anyone having these problems or most other problems I've had. Thanks for the info anyway. John

·
Registered
21 Posts
noise in cb

I will call the service writer and try to get the reps name, if I can, I will post it. Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
CB in speakers

Had the same problem with CB feedback in audio speakers. After months of talking to service rep I was able to demonstrate problem. New AM/FM radio was installed and no more problems. :lol:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Re: CB in speakers

Nick said:
Had the same problem with CB feedback in audio speakers. After months of talking to service rep I was able to demonstrate problem. New AM/FM radio was installed and no more problems. :lol:
Do you know if the am/fm audio unit installed was a new unit or more than likely a rebuilt unit?

·
Registered
4 Posts
CB in Speakers

I was told it was a new AM/FM module but I don't know that for a fact. Main point is that it works right and has not been a problem. :lol:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Regarding new audio units, it's my understanding that they've been redesigned by the manufacturer (not Honda) to overcome the feedback and come complete with a new part number. As far as I know, no one has received one in Canada yet, but my bike is in the shop waiting for one. According to what my dealer told me, new units should be arriving at Honda Canada in Toronto any day now (direct from Japan). Hopefully I'll be able to pick up my bike - with redesigned au - soon. In any case, the weather is still not really suitable for riding anyway. Once I do get my bike back, I'll probably be taking the top shelter off to do some accessory installs and I'll take a closer look at the new unit. If I can find a part number I'll post it.

Arthur

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nobody have a part # yet? I'm looking to get my 02 fixed. It seems a whole lot easier to get things fixed when you take a part number to the service manager. Thanks for all the info guys.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for the swift work. Mine is in the shop getting the Noise filtering intercom harness now. Maybe I can get this added on. Thanks, John

·
Registered
104 Posts
Haven't ridden much since getting the bike back but the noise filtering harness seems to have gotten rid of most of my problems. Will let you know more after I get to do a little more riding. John

1 - 20 of 24 Posts