·
Registered
1,960 Posts
:eek:4: This will be an interesting post to watch. I have no idea. :popcorn:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Horn In Headset

Turn up the squelch on the CB. If it's to low this will happen. Don't ask me why :?: but trust me it will.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I get the same thing. Not a clean sound more like a static buzz. cb on or off does not matter

I just don't toot my horn :wrong:

Mostly I ignore it as it has done it from new

Allen

·
Registered
19,309 Posts
I HONK so infrequently I dont know if I might have the same issue

·
Registered
528 Posts
I only get that when I have my intercom on. Doesn't happen when I am just listening to music.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
You are probably suffering from "microphonics" which is your circuit board inside the audio unit acting as a microphone into your ICOM. Turn your intercom on and tap on your gas door or just above it toward the audio unit. If you hear that tapping in your headphones, you got it. It is more prevalent in '01 - '05 but you don't say what yours is.

Turn down volume of intercom to below 9 is the only solution from what I've been told from those more expert than I in using the ICOM. I rarely use it but when I do I use FUZE headphones which cancel out most external noise so I know it's coming from the audio unit.

http://www.earfuze.com/

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't have the intercom on, had the CB on. We were doing the ride for kids, and was honking at people waving along the route. Normally I'm not a real horn user either. I had turned the squelch down somewhat. We'll see. :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

·
Vendor
445 Posts
It's actually a harmonic frequency of the horn coming into the CB receive. The same thing happens if you are watching channel 2, 54 MHz, and key the CB, 27 MHz. The horns must be down about third or fourth harmonic. I know that I took the horns off my 02 and switched them with my Valkyrie and they interfered with cb on the 02 setting next to the Valkyrie. I tried to adjust the freq. but the loss in db was too much so I just did as the others suggested and set the squelch about 2 clicks higher than normal.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Static sounds

The horn has make/break contacts that is actually a spark-gap transmitter much like that which was first used to send Morse code in early radio communications. You get the same effect from dirty insulators arcing on power lines and interfering with you CB reception when you pass near them.

10-4?

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
I found that once I removed my horn from my headsets the problem went away. My comfort level increased dramatically too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts