GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well finally gotten the lower Cowl taken off to look at the horns. Been searching the Tech forums here and am getting closer I think. Wiring seems to be in order and both wires on each horn seem to go to ground.

Well, I looked under the seat out swapped out the " Horn Call Relay " with another and still same problem.

However after reading one of the messages in the forum I never thought to check my " Button " on my remote. When pressing this the Horns Work.

All flashers work so know that it couldn't be the " Horn / Flasher Relay ". Think maybe the " Horn Button " or ??

If so best way to clean or put in another " where from " ?

Any and all suggestions are Greatly Appreciated.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,378 Posts
Since they blow with the key fob, your issue is with the handlebar button switch or the wiring from it to the horns. It’s light green and runs through the connectors(C24) under the right fairing pocket.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I would try spraying some WD40 or other mild contact cleaner in through the switch to try and clean it without disassembly. I’d bet it’s a sticky switch. Be careful with some spray cleaners though, they can melt plastic.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
OTOH . . . . this may of better value.

The attached is a wiring diagram of just the Horn Circuit. There are two identical copies. One is a *.jpg file and the other is a *.pdf file.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions and I'll try to help.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since they blow with the key fob, your issue is with the handlebar button switch or the wiring from it to the horns. It’s light green and runs through the connectors(C24) under the right fairing pocket.
Will I be able to get at the connector to check under the Right pocket to check. Sprayed some electronic cleaner into the switch and worked it. Can that switch be replaced with new one ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OTOH . . . . this may of better value.

The attached is a wiring diagram of just the Horn Circuit. There are two identical copies. One is a *.jpg file and the other is a *.pdf file.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions and I'll try to help.

Appreciate it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would try spraying some WD40 or other mild contact cleaner in through the switch to try and clean it without disassembly. I’d bet it’s a sticky switch. Be careful with some spray cleaners though, they can melt plastic.
Sprayed some electronics cleaner earlier today and worked the switch.
Appreciate it

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,378 Posts
Will I be able to get at the connector to check under the Right pocket to check. Sprayed some electronic cleaner into the switch and worked it. Can that switch be replaced with new one ?
Yes, you can reach it through the pocket opening. It’s tight but doable if your hands aren’t too big. The switch is part of the whole handlebar control, Honda only sells the whole thing. You can drop the bottom open and check to see if you are getting power to and through the button switch. Just be careful, there’s a lot of stuff in there.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
From Honda, you buy the whole assembly, if I remember right. I bought a used one off of e-bay for a friend once, to use for parts (spring and switch). Otherwise 3 screws gets you access to the innards of the assembly for better cleaning of the switch. I still think you will get it to work again with cleaner/operation/patience.

·
Vendor
22,071 Posts
You may also want to remove the tunnel cover on underside of the left handlebar and check for a pinched or severed wire. The early model bikes used metal covers and many times wires would get pinched or cut on the sharp edges of the covers when they were removed and reinstalled.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, you can reach it through the pocket opening. It’s tight but doable if your hands aren’t too big. The switch is part of the whole handlebar control, Honda only sells the whole thing. You can drop the bottom open and check to see if you are getting power to and through the button switch. Just be careful, there’s a lot of stuff in there.
Hands are XXL :)
Appreciate it

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From Honda, you buy the whole assembly, if I remember right. I bought a used one off of e-bay for a friend once, to use for parts (spring and switch). Otherwise 3 screws gets you access to the innards of the assembly for better cleaning of the switch. I still think you will get it to work again with cleaner/operation/patience.
Anyone have a diagram for tear down to check the switch ?
Appreciate your comments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You may also want to remove the tunnel cover on underside of the left handlebar and check for a pinched or severed wire. The early model bikes used metal covers and many times wires would get pinched or cut on the sharp edges of the covers when they were removed and reinstalled.
Talking about under left pocket ?
Appreciate it

·
Vendor
22,071 Posts
Talking about under left pocket ?
Appreciate it

No, I'm talking about the long skinny cover plate that is on the underside of the handlebar stalk, held in with two phillips screws. It hides the wire harnesses that run down the underside of the handlebar stalk.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,378 Posts
Anyone have a diagram for tear down to check the switch ?
Appreciate your comments
There’s two screws that come out of the bottom of the control pod and you just drop the bottom with the horn switch down from the top half. You can probe the wires on it from there to see if power is coming to it and through it when pushed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There’s two screws that come out of the bottom of the control pod and you just drop the bottom with the horn switch down from the top half. You can probe the wires on it from there to see if power is coming to it and through it when pushed.
OK, so why in the world would they use Green Wire for Ground and a Light Green wire for Positive ! I guess by looking it supplies 12volts positive through this switch then ? I just didn't want to mess with the horn assembly to check figuring some parts would fly off in never never land and wouldn't be seen again. Would you have a pic to upload showing this ? I appreciate all your help. This bike looks to be everything it was told to me " Adult Ridden not abused and taken care of ", however some never checked horn and didn't ride of a night :) I did find a Honda Service manual " Real " not CD so maybe won't have to keep asking questions.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, I'm talking about the long skinny cover plate that is on the underside of the handlebar stalk, held in with two phillips screws. It hides the wire harnesses that run down the underside of the handlebar stalk.
Never noticed it, will look at it too. Appreciate it

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,378 Posts
OK, so why in the world would they use Green Wire for Ground and a Light Green wire for Positive ! I guess by looking it supplies 12volts positive through this switch then ? I just didn't want to mess with the horn assembly to check figuring some parts would fly off in never never land and wouldn't be seen again. Would you have a pic to upload showing this ? I appreciate all your help. This bike looks to be everything it was told to me " Adult Ridden not abused and taken care of ", however some never checked horn and didn't ride of a night :) I did find a Honda Service manual " Real " not CD so maybe won't have to keep asking questions.
Sorry, don’t have a pic of the pod bottom dropped. Yes, the button switch sends 12V to the horns. All of the ground wires on the bike are green. They used light green for this power wire because all of the other colors were taken. >:) Seriously, there’s a lot of wires on this bike in a lot of color combinations. We don’t mind questions.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts